Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,064 members, 7,814,670 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:15 PM

Antivirus Not Updating With Starcomms Izaap - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Antivirus Not Updating With Starcomms Izaap (1469 Views)

How To Stop Apps From Auto Installing/updating On Your Android Phones / Avast Anti Virus Not Updating/unistalling / Updating Antivirus, Symantect Coporate Edition. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Antivirus Not Updating With Starcomms Izaap by brightokon: 6:03pm On Mar 08, 2009
Please I dont know if anyone has encountered this problem. My antivirus software could not connect to the updating server. I use Starcomms Genie, first I use Avast home edition, the antivirus could not update and it says it cant connect to the internet. I disabled firewall to no avail.

I uninstalled Avast, installed Symantech and it is still the same problem.

So I want to know if Starcomms network does not support these antivirus and which ones does their network support.

Please could someone help, I need to update my system before virus stricks, ie if dem neva enter my system already,

Any assistance will be highly appreciated.
Re: Antivirus Not Updating With Starcomms Izaap by aieromon(m): 6:33pm On Mar 08, 2009
the problem should be from the settings i.e update option of your antivirus.starcomms izap is antivirus friendly so no need for you to panick,ok .

for avast,you can go to www.avast.com and download the latest update although the file is around 20mb.
Re: Antivirus Not Updating With Starcomms Izaap by lynxnoon(m): 8:16pm On Mar 08, 2009
yeah correct guy wink wink
Re: Antivirus Not Updating With Starcomms Izaap by Nobody: 9:42pm On Mar 08, 2009
confirm that IE is not set to 'work offline'

also confirm that you can browse with your default browser.

ie when browsing with the office connection, i use a proxy server. when browsing with my starcomms modem, i untick the proxy server settings. or i won't be able to browse. hope this helps.
Re: Antivirus Not Updating With Starcomms Izaap by Mustay(m): 10:57pm On Mar 08, 2009
brightokon make you no kill yourself.

On installation, your Avast updates based on local connections (via coaxial cables or wireless), it is not adjusted to contain dial-up or proxy connections.

Don't bother installing and re-installing anti virus programs.

Using Avast as an example, follow these instructions when you use your IZAP:

>>>Right-click on the avast logo on your taskbar (that blue round logo with an "a"wink

>>>Click on Program Settings

>>>You would see a list on the left side showing Common, Appearance, Chest etc

>>>Click on Update (Connections)

>>>Check the "My computer is permanently connected to the internet" check box.

>>> Click on the Proxy button

>>> Choose Auto detect(use internet explorer settings)

(Direct connection (no proxy) - Select this option if you do not use any proxy server to connect to the Internet. Dial-up users usually don't use any proxy server.

Auto detect (use Internet Explorer settings)- avast! will use the settings that Internet Explorer browser is using.

Specify proxy server - Choose this option if you know the address and port of your proxy server. )

>>> Click on Test Connection

>>> After testing, the result must be: "Proxy server settings are correct", "Internet settings are correct" etc

>>> Click OK

You are done.
Re: Antivirus Not Updating With Starcomms Izaap by brightokon: 2:43am On Mar 09, 2009
Thanks brothers for your support, I tried everything to resolve this but to no avail. I realized that my system was infected already with virus that disabled anti virus from updating.

so I have to to repair my windows installation and the virus update started working fine.

I really appreciate all of you who provided solutions.

thanks to you all
Re: Antivirus Not Updating With Starcomms Izaap by hayprof(m): 4:24am On Mar 09, 2009
Thank God this is all Over, because I was here wondering wat could have made his Antivirus program stop updating, . .

. . .Imagine he was tryn secure his PC frm Virus attacks whereas VIRUS sef don Secure him, . . grin
Re: Antivirus Not Updating With Starcomms Izaap by flyuche(m): 8:09am On Mar 09, 2009
hayprof:

Thank God this is all Over, because I was here wondering wat could have made his Antivirus program stop updating, . .

. . .Imagine he was tryn secure his PC frm Virus attacks whereas VIRUS sef don Secure him, . . grin
grin grin grin
Re: Antivirus Not Updating With Starcomms Izaap by aieromon(m): 11:37am On Mar 09, 2009
hayprof:

first time i heard of a virus preventing update of an anti-virus.the virus must have been made by a Nigerian cos it surely thinks like one tongue
Re: Antivirus Not Updating With Starcomms Izaap by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 10, 2009
If you are a program and have created some viruses before, you will know that virus and anti-virus technologies are similar. . .just how they work and the purposes are what makes them different. . . . meaning that, it is probably the same set of people that create both. . .

In other words, if you know how to create a virus, then you will know how an antivirus works and know how to disable it from updating or even working sef. There are some viruses that delete all your system restore points sef. . .some even prevent you from accessing safe mode. . .

(1) (Reply)

Contact Us On Your Computer Maintenance And Services / Enter Here To Solve Biometric Problem (strictly Digital Persona) / How To Crack Some One Whatsapp Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.