Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,820 members, 7,817,395 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job (3569 Views)

NNPC Staff: Resume Before 8am Or Stay At Home / Mba Abroad Or Stick With Current Banking Job? / After Your Msc Abroad: Stay Or Go? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by Nobody: 11:59am On Mar 10, 2009
I Graduate with a first class in geology(FUTA) and already working with oil servicing company, though the pay not too much but above hundred and something. I have an offer at Herriot watt university, edinburgh, scotland, Msc Geoscience for subsurface exploration, appraisal and developments through funding, 2009/2010 session, should i bone my work and go for M.Sc abroad, I am already in my late twentis. Please ur advice is welcome
Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by tboy1(m): 12:04pm On Mar 10, 2009
Someone trying to make the same decision:
Job or Masters:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-245038.0.html
Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by shilees(f): 5:35pm On Mar 11, 2009
oh boy if u have the money go for your masters, the job u av is temporary, if someone wit more exposure and a higher degree comes along my dear
u will b tossed aside. besides universities abroad widen ur scope of practicals and exprience.
Forget the temporary fear of leaving ur job, u said something abt age, u b woman? u are still a young man with alot to achieve.
I wish u all d best.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by okudoh: 10:20pm On Mar 13, 2009
in your own interest man,jump on d Msc offer immediately and trust me u'll be hot cake when u're done with it.u'll get a job 3tymes beta than what u have now.its gonna be alot of value added.besides opportunities once lost cannot be regained.
Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by extype: 5:42pm On Mar 14, 2009
i would advice u go for ur masters.it wil giv u the oportunity to get a much better job.that ur company wil just use u especially if its ingenious coy.i know of someone in slumberger international staff abroad who is resigning also for msc in heriot watt.so u are not doing sth strange.all the best broda
Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by FBS: 8:54am On Mar 16, 2009
M.SC and no questions. It will be paid for plus you will definitely need the experience.
Way to go man.
Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by Redfox(m): 11:57am On Mar 23, 2009
you don't need to think twice about this, go fo your masters and increase your relevance in your area of endeavour.
Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by delufosi: 7:12pm On Mar 24, 2009
With an oversea MSc degree, your starting salary in most Nigeria oil company is in the region of 9 million to 12million for geoscience graduate. Does your present job offers you that kind of money [if money is your incentive]?

GEOSAD program at Heriot Watt is good but in term of diversity and the probability of starting your own consultancy firm latter on in life is quite slim compare to some other geoscience prog eg petroleum geoscience. so, if your present job offer you a better future career prospect, then slug it out and pray for divine blessing. It all depend on the way you plan your life and what you want to be in future

I know these because i have a degree in geology too in Nigeria and another one in Mechnical engineering and presently doing my MSc in Petroleum engineering in UK
Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by agabaI23(m): 7:16pm On Mar 24, 2009
Do not miss the masters programme.
Your age is no big deal. Waka fast!
Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by babajaid: 10:06pm On Mar 25, 2009
abeg do that immidiately cos u will be more relevant when u do that
Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by sadboi: 7:18am On Mar 26, 2009
Herriot Watt!!! one of the best geology universities in the world!!! though you might be worried about the slump in oil price world over, it will definitely go up in 4/5 years time. I am a geologist as well based in UK. I have over ten friends with MSC in exploration geophysics. one finished his masters in 2004/2005 but it took him two years to get a job (oil prices hovered around $47, dt affected oil industries). Six got their jobs immediately after graduation and I can categorically tell you they all earn well over ten million naira per annum. While four are pursuing their PHD( 3 in UK, 1 in US) only one still remained in UK (works in Aberdeen). Your career development, experience and mode of thinking will never be the same after your masters at HW.
Read the new UK immigration policies released on the 12th of March to get yourself prepared b4 time.
BEST OF LUCK
Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by amebo22: 12:45am On Mar 31, 2009
Sadboi really explained it all, You really have to be able to finance yourself overthere and not get dissapointed when you get here. The thing is going abroad has be over rated and sometime it falls short of our expectations, Thus said, a masters anywhere in the world even Nija will give you an edge but life is al bout risk, if you go to scotland and things dont work out do u have a backup Plan, are you a risk taker, You already know what you want before posting this as you just would like to hear other opinion, just sit down and plan and go for the Msc, lol, my two kobo
Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by Nobody: 1:58pm On Aug 19, 2009
jojohnson:

I Graduate with a first class in geology(FUTA) and already working with oil servicing company, though the pay not too much but above hundred and something. I have an offer at Herriot watt university, edinburgh, scotland, Msc Geoscience for subsurface exploration, appraisal and developments through funding, 2009/2010 session, should i bone my work and go for M.Sc abroad, I am already in my late twentis. Please ur advice is welcome

I thought FUTA never produced a 1st class in Geology? Bros your english sef na wa lipsrsealed
Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by Nobody: 1:15am On Aug 22, 2009
Hi jassie,
In response to your repply, there is nothing you cannot achieve if you have God and persistency. Persistency makes impossible possible, the possible likely, and likely definite. Never make other peoples opinion your own reality. Paint your own world and make it unique. Against all odds, I graduted as the only first class student in the faculty November 2005. By the grace of God, I am repplying to your response from Holland where I am currently studying for my MSc in Petroleum Engineering and Geosciences with specilaization in Reservoir geology in Delft University of Technology with a full scholarship from Netherland Goverment. So jassie, never believe in impossibilities. Take care.
Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by excel26(m): 3:56pm On Aug 24, 2009
Go for d Masters if u have d cash now

no time !!!!!!!
Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by Nobody: 8:44pm On Aug 24, 2009
To all who have contributed, I thank you all. I am now studying at Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands. I am doing my master in Petroleum Engineering and Geosciences, with specialization in Reservoir Geology on full scholarships from Netherland Government. It is Gods doing, I never worth it. To jassie, there is nothing impossible with God if you stay focus. Though initially, nobody wanted me to graduate with a first class but persistency was the key. just stay focus. You can achieve what you want to achieve, the only obstacle is you. As regards my english, just forget that bullshit, it was merely a typographical error. Love you all
Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by Nobody: 9:39pm On Aug 26, 2009
Good luck o . . . O lenu pa grin
Re: Should I Go For Msc Abroad Or Stay With My Job by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 08, 2009
jassie:

I thought FUTA never produced a 1st class in Geology? Bros your english sef na wa lipsrsealed

No big deal about English when studying Geology
I studied Geology and the brightest guys in my class where the 'razzest'. If you know what I mean
Please give us a break and let the guy be!!

(1) (Reply)

Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help / The Federal Radio Corporation Of Nigeria(frcn) And Salary Increment. / Police Sanction 16 Personnel For Professional Misconduct

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.