Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,536 members, 7,843,662 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

Check Out This 1976 Poster Of Lagos Tennis Classic Series - Photo*** - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Check Out This 1976 Poster Of Lagos Tennis Classic Series - Photo*** (926 Views)

Barcelona Takes Down Poster Of Neymar For Betraying The Spanish Club / Burial Poster Of Mary Ejide, Austin Ejide's Mother (Photos) / Stephen Keshi's Obituary Poster And Burial Arrangements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Check Out This 1976 Poster Of Lagos Tennis Classic Series - Photo*** by ANBAKO: 10:08am On Jul 16, 2015
The poster is that of 1976 Lagos Tennis classic. Intriguing as it may be, this tourney was part of World Tennis Championship (WTC) series. This Tournament was in the category of present day Kremlin Cup (Moscow), Sydney International (Sydney), Qatar Open (Doha), Geneva Open, AEGON championship (London), Stuttgart Mercedes Open, Chennai Open all with around $200000 price money.
The 1976 Lagos Tournament featured legendary Arthur Ashe, Tom Okker, Jeff Borowiak all playing alongside Nigerian players. This is Amazing!!!
How backward our sport (and national) development has gone. Nigeria was at the verge of greatness but we loose track; where, when, how and by who - I don't know.
God bless Nigeria

Re: Check Out This 1976 Poster Of Lagos Tennis Classic Series - Photo*** by Tolexander: 11:46am On Jul 16, 2015
ANBAKO:
The poster is that of 1976 Lagos Tennis classic. Intriguing as it may be, this tourney was part of World Tennis Championship (WTC) series. This Tournament was in the category of present day Kremlin Cup (Moscow), Sydney International (Sydney), Qatar Open (Doha), Geneva Open, AEGON championship (London), Stuttgart Mercedes Open, Chennai Open all with around $200000 price money.
The 1976 Lagos Tournament featured legendary Arthur Ashe, Tom Okker, Jeff Borowiak all playing alongside Nigerian players. This is Amazing!!!
How backward our sport (and national) development has gone. Nigeria was at the verge of greatness but we loose track; where, when, how and by who - I don't know.
God bless Nigeria
ya right bro!

Stumbled on a news, "The 1976 ill-fated Lagos professional tenis championship", while I was trying to know the Nigerian past record on lawn tennis, I was so elated seeing the Wimbledon open title holder participating in the tournament.

I will try to search for the news anyway.

Now considering the trend of reverse development in Nigerian tennis, sometimes, I do ask myself if the glory can be restored.
Re: Check Out This 1976 Poster Of Lagos Tennis Classic Series - Photo*** by ANBAKO: 7:46am On Jul 17, 2015
Tolexander:
ya right bro!

Stumbled on a news, "The 1976 ill-fated Lagos professional tenis championship", while I was trying to know the Nigerian past record on lawn tennis, I was so elated seeing the Wimbledon open title holder participating in the tournament.

I will try to search for the news anyway.

Now considering the trend of reverse development in Nigerian tennis, sometimes, I do ask myself if the glory can be restored.

let us hope and do our best individually to restore our lost glory.

(1) (Reply)

Watch Club Friendly Highlights: Manchester City 1 – 4 Real Madrid / Lionel Messi Tops FIFA 16's Dribbling Ratings (PHOTOS) / Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Leo Messi - Who Is The Best On Social Media? ? ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.