Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,397 members, 7,815,867 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

How To Get Facebook To Pull The Correct Image For Your Blog - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Get Facebook To Pull The Correct Image For Your Blog (456 Views)

Wow!!! Get Free Blog Posts To Pull Traffic To Your Website & Blog / How To Get The Right Image For a Blog / Facebook To Introduce “profile Videos” As Alternative To “profile Pictures” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Get Facebook To Pull The Correct Image For Your Blog by tutusaint(m): 5:06pm On Jul 16, 2015
I’ve written about this issue before, but since it’s continually showing up in my inbox, I figured I’d dedicate a whole post to this very annoying problem. Whether you are manually copying and pasting a link to Facebook, or you are using share buttons, sometimes Facebook pulls a random image that is NOT the one you intended. Here is my checklist.

Make sure you have uploaded a photo into the featured image slot. It’s on the righthand side of the post edit screen.

Check that the image title does not have any sizing in the URL (i.e. http://yourwebsite.com/uploads/image-300×200.png).
Check that the image size is a minimum of 800 pixels wide (940px is better if you can).
If you are trying to fix an old post that doesn’t work, when you remove and re-upload the correctly sized featured image, change the name of the picture so it’s different than the original (I don’t know why exactly, but I suspect it has to do with caching).
If you’re running a caching plugin, empty or flush the cache after hitting update.
divider

An extra step if the post was previously published…

Sometimes Facebook doesn’t bother to recheck your blog URL data and so even when you make changes, it pulls the old version. You can try running the specific post URL through Facebook’s debugger forcing it to recheck after you’ve made the changes and hit update. https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object/ Then try sharing your post again!

Sometimes even all the right steps don’t result in a correct image, and in this case, it could be your theme. If you don’t want to change themes, consider the following:

Use the social feature of WordPress SEO by Yoast and pick a specific Facebook image.

Get a custom premium sharing plugin like Social Warfare buttons that allow you to use multiple images for all the various platforms.

Before you go changing your whole blog because all the above did not work, you may want to try manually copying and pasting the URL into Facebook rather than trying the buttons at the bottom of your post to see if it makes a difference.
Another option is to grab the WordPress shortlink and manually paste that in. If either of these options make a difference, it signals that you need new social sharing buttons.

In some cases, even all of this does not work. If you are pasting your URL onto a Facebook page, you will have the option of uploading an image before you hit “publish” on the link. You can also adjust the title and description as well.

While this solves your particular problem, you’ll want to get to the bottom of the issue because most readers won’t go through all that trouble themselves.

Sometimes I get inquiries about why Facebook doesn’t pull the header photo when you share your main URL (not a particular post). If you have a widgetized homepage (many Genesis themes are), then you’ll have to set a featured image in a separate place. The best plugin for this is WordPress SEO by Yoast. Simply go to the SOCIAL option in the dashboard, and click on Facebook, and fill out the information. If you don’t have a widgetized homepage, but rather a listing of your latest posts (like Fabulous Blogging), the same process will work.

yoastfacebook

If you have a static homepage that isn’t widgetized, all you need to do is simply go to that page in PAGES, and insert a featured image using the above specifications.
Re: How To Get Facebook To Pull The Correct Image For Your Blog by Chillinmasoul(m): 5:44am On Jul 17, 2015
I personally have problem with my own blog website not showing my logo... When updated on Facebook... How do I get this solved.
Re: How To Get Facebook To Pull The Correct Image For Your Blog by tutusaint(m): 12:19pm On Jul 17, 2015
Chech our signature url for the full post and screenshot of. Thank me leter

(1) (Reply)

Fast Track To Success In Internet Business / My Website Lacks Alots Of Traffic / My New SMF Site Not Showing On Browser

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.