Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,517 members, 7,819,865 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

Vera - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Vera (591 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vera by Subllyme: 7:28am On Jul 17, 2015
I held unto her tightly. I tried to prevent myself from crying but the tears came in droves. She too cried. It was painful and disheartening. I could not control it any longer. The bond was so strong. Although I don’t know how it came to be.
As I held on to her, I felt the bond getting stronger and stronger. I felt eternally bonded to her. For a moment, I thought my dreams will materialize. It did; for a few seconds. Then I gradually let go. The bond disappeared. It diffused like gas from a leaking cylinder, like air leaving a punctured balloon. I was devastated. Then I rushed inside. I didn’t want her to see me cry like a baby. I climbed upstairs to my room and covered myself with the blanket and cried aloud. She cast a glance at my mum, who stood at the other end of the veranda, who turned away quickly. She then made for my room. I heard her steps, so I stopped crying; only sobbing.
“Am sorry. Please am sorry” was all she said as she wrapped her arm around my neck. I was not in the mood to talk to her so I gradually relieved myself of her grip, kissed her on the forehead and left the room, trying to blow my nose into my hand towel as I stood up. My mum met me as I was descending the stairs. She blocked my way. I passed under her arm and continued down. I was visibly annoyed. She knew it. I bent to pick my car key from the plastic basket near the table in my study and almost ran to the garage as I was beginning to cry again. I drove off.
It was 7pm when I arrived home. I switched on the lights, and walked to the refrigerator. Canned beverage was all I could find. I gulped down two cans quite fast. I was hungry. I walked lazily to my room. I felt like a man carrying many people’s burden. I fell into my bed like a log of wood. Gazing at the ceiling, so many thoughts drove into my mind’s space. Then my eyes caught the picture of myself and her on top of the cupboard. Instantly, I woke up and went to the drawer, opened the second on the left row and brought out my photo album. I sat down on the chair next to it and watched the pictures carefully, smiling throughout. Memories of the times we shared came flashing back. I could remember everything. It was as if I was writing an exam I had prepared so well for. I could just remember everything. Tears came back, slowly running down.
+ + + +
Nse was quite beautiful. She was slightly fair in complexion, not so tall. I was at home with her height. She was a nurse working at the St. Mark’s hospital in the heart of the town. Vera was her baptismal name, the same as my immediate younger sister. I liked her very much. I loved her. She always had a way of making me happy. She knew the right cords to strike. We had met two years ago when I took my younger sister to the hospital. She was the nurse on duty. After the doctor had left, she took over and cared so much for my sister. After Vera was discharged, I continued stalking her until she agreed to go on a date with me.
Months passed and our love for each other grew stronger. By then I had quit my former job to pick up an appointment with a bigger company. I was an accountant. The future was bright. I had always sensed it. And then when she happened, the future shone more brightly. I could literally touch the sky. I took her on a couple of more dates. We went to the cinema, to the bar beach too. I took her to see my mum some months back. Mum’s liking for her grew very fast especially when I told her how she took care of Vera at the hospital.
It was December. The company had granted me permission to proceed on annual leave. I had a lot of plans for the leave. First, I travelled home to spend the holiday with my mum. I had not seen her in months so it was a kind of reunion to see each other again. Two weeks later, she came to my mum’s place. I was surprised to see her. It was urgent, for so mum had made me believe days after. I had come back from picking some groceries at the local shop. I met her crying. On entering the sitting room, mum left. Then I walked up to her and sat beside her. After sometime, she gathered herself and told me. I ran outside and stood by the pillar. I couldn’t believe my ears. She came outside and hugged me tightly.
I knew I would never see her again!

#copyright protected!
Subllymeofall.
Re: Vera by kayemdy: 7:47am On Jul 17, 2015
Nice one.......hope to read more
Re: Vera by Divepen1(m): 8:14am On Jul 17, 2015
This story is floating.... What happened?
Re: Vera by Chikabel: 8:42am On Jul 20, 2015
Following

(1) (Reply)

Need A Partner To Help Me With My New Fictions / Suggestions On A Research Work FOr A Nairaland Writer / Count Down To Christmas...part 1 On The Verge Of Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.