Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,403 members, 7,861,140 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:49 AM

Use Of Shall And Will - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Use Of Shall And Will (1079 Views)

"I Shall Resign If Found Guilty Of Inflating OAUSU Bus Price"--OAUSU President / Outstanding Result In Waec: What Does It Mean And When Shall It Be Released? / Hijab: Deeper Life Church Backs Use Of Christian Garments By Pupils (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Use Of Shall And Will by ifeoluwasegun(m): 1:20pm On Jul 17, 2015
Please, can anyone in the house explicitly explain the above subject matter - Use of SHALL and WILL

When are they used and in what context?

Many of us (myself inclusive) use it anytime anyhow, which I think there is a right application to those two words which many are ignorant of.

So, to the linguists in the house, I beg, help us throw light.
Re: Use Of Shall And Will by Stanleyafam(m): 1:25pm On Jul 17, 2015
Bible uses "shall" humans use "will" tongue
Re: Use Of Shall And Will by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 17, 2015
Re: Use Of Shall And Will by ifeoluwasegun(m): 1:31pm On Jul 17, 2015
Stanleyafam:
Bible uses "shall" humans use "will" tongue

That's not enough
Re: Use Of Shall And Will by laplace19(m): 2:48pm On Jul 17, 2015
Let me contribute a little that I know about the two words...

Shall and will are both modal auxiliary verbs used to talk about a future event or an action expected to take place at a time in future.

However, SHALL is used with the first person personal pronouns "I and We" to suggest a future event... eg
(1) We shall travel next month.
(2) I shall visit you next week.

WILL on the other hand is used with the second and third person personal pronouns such as "She, They, He, It, You, etc" to also suggest a future event... eg
(1) He will travel next month.
(2) They will visit you next week.
(3) It will rain tomorrow.

However, when the sentence is attached with a special meaning such as (A) Promise (B) Threat (C) Command, etc, then "SHALL" goes with the second and third person pronouns respectively, whereas "WILL" goes with the first person pronouns....Eg

(1) You SHALL obey your parents. (Command).

(2) I WILL show you how wicked I am. (Threat).

(3) Ifeoluwasegun SHALL receive one like from me if his topic makes front page. (Promise).

Lolzz..... permit me to stop here...
Re: Use Of Shall And Will by ogostus(m): 2:53pm On Jul 17, 2015
The thing is plain: shall is a very formal modal. It is rarely used. The use of will is more straightforward. There is a rule that guides the use, although modern grammar or speech does not follow it rigidly. Both will and shall are used with the first person personal pronouns (I /plural_we). Examples: I will visit you tomorrow. I shall see it when I come. We shall see to it that the work is completed. We will finish it today. All other persons: 2nd and 3rd(you, he, she, it/plural they) only go with will. Hence, one can use "he will", "she will", "they will". So it is traditionally wrong to say "he shall", "she shall", "they shall". But there are special registers that do not conform rigidly to this rule. for instance, in "Bible Language" you can see " It shall be well with you" , "He shall be punished", etc. Likewise, the Law register may say: "They shall serve a four-year jail term for six counts". I hope you will find this useful @ OP
Re: Use Of Shall And Will by ifeoluwasegun(m): 2:58pm On Jul 17, 2015
laplace19:
Let me contribute a little that I know about the two words...

Shall and will are both modal auxiliary verbs used to talk about a future event or an action expected to take place at a time in future.

However, SHALL is used with the first person personal pronouns "I and We" to suggest a future event... eg
(1) We shall travel next month.
(2) I shall visit you next week.

WILL on the other hand is used with the second and third person personal pronouns such as "She, They, He, It, You, etc" to also suggest a future event... eg
(1) He will travel next month.
(2) They will visit you next week.
(3) It will rain tomorrow.

However, when the sentence is attached with a special meaning such as (A) Promise (B) Threat (C) Command, etc, then "SHALL" goes with the second and third person pronouns respectively, whereas "WILL" goes with the first person pronouns....Eg

(1) You SHALL obey your parents. (Command).

(2) I WILL show you how wicked I am. (Threat).

(3) Ifeoluwasegun SHALL receive one like from me if his topic makes front page. (Promise).

Lolzz..... permit me to stop here...

I feel blessed to be educated once again by your comment. Satisfied!
Hey, any test for me as per the subject matter...from you as a teacher?
Re: Use Of Shall And Will by laplace19(m): 3:19pm On Jul 17, 2015
ifeoluwasegun:

I feel blessed to be educated once again by your comment. Satisfied!
Hey, any test for me as per the subject matter...from you as a teacher?

Lolzz.... Oga mi, I don't think there is any need for an online based test for you, but when you interact with people outside nairaland always make sure you use the right Personal pronouns for the two modal auxiliary verbs (Shall and Will). It's all about scrutinising your sentences before you speak them out... Na the method me sef dey use,cos English no be our mother's tongue cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Use Of Shall And Will by ifeoluwasegun(m): 3:34pm On Jul 17, 2015
laplace19:

Lolzz.... Oga mi, I don't think there is any need for an online based test for you, but when you interact with people outside nairaland always make sure you use the right Personal pronouns for the two modal auxiliary verbs (Shall and Will). It's all about scrutinising your sentences before you speak them out... Na the method me sef dey use,cos English no be our mother's tongue cheesy grin

It's alright bro, I've been using the scrutiny method too, now I hv to be mindful of these two too.

Thanks again, kind regards!

(1) (Reply)

40 Wacky Facts About Human Body You Didin’t Know / BREAKING!! LASU Releases 2015/2016 Post UTME Result [check Yours Here] / Download Accountancy Project Topics And Materials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.