Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,863 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

In Comes Windows 10 (Windows 8, Not That Deficient Though) - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / In Comes Windows 10 (Windows 8, Not That Deficient Though) (676 Views)

These 10 Windows 8 Tricks And Hacks Will Shock You / Do I Really Need An Antivirus For Windows 8.1? / The wait is over: Welcome Windows 10! The World Most Awaited Operating System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Comes Windows 10 (Windows 8, Not That Deficient Though) by shawlxAk(m): 3:00pm On Jul 17, 2015
So I've been actively using Windows 8 a lot lately and in my opinion, it is not that deficient. Previously, I had it installed in a virtual environment, and used it rarely.

What most people seem to dislike is the fact that the regular Start Menu is gone! Whilst things might seem a bit confusing at first, the new start screen is not really a problem once you know what to do.

For instance, on the start screen, you can simply start typing the name of a file, application or utility and Windows 8 automatically launches the search utility presenting you with matching items. Frankly, this is all you need to successfully explore Windows 8.

My favourite shortcut is the Windows Logo + X.

Windows Logo + X opens a quick access toolbar where you can easily launch useful Windows utilities including Device Manager, Network connections, File Explorer, Search etc.

Apart from the fact that Windows 8 is faster than previous versions, I find it generally appealing and easy to use once you've gotten used to it.

A lot of users are looking forward to the official release of Windows 10, and so am I! Windows 10 combines the best sides of Widows 7 and Windows 8. I have already reserved my free copy of Windows 10 which will be available to install when I receive a notification after July 29. Patiently waiting!
Re: In Comes Windows 10 (Windows 8, Not That Deficient Though) by Tolzeal(m): 7:18pm On Jul 17, 2015
Okay...
Nice one.

It will be more sweet able when you move to windows 8.1
Re: In Comes Windows 10 (Windows 8, Not That Deficient Though) by billy187(m): 7:35am On Jul 18, 2015
I really didnt like the touch centric setup of Windows 8-so i didnt buy an upgrade from Windows 7. Ive booked my copy of Windowss 10 though.

My main worries are my files and programs. ....including a whole lot of games some of which i've had since the 1990s. Will they survive the transition?
Re: In Comes Windows 10 (Windows 8, Not That Deficient Though) by shawlxAk(m): 2:31pm On Jul 18, 2015
billy187:
I really didnt like the touch centric setup of Windows 8-so i didnt buy an upgrade from Windows 7. Ive booked my copy of Windowss 10 though.

My main worries are my files and programs. ....including a whole lot of games some of which i've had since the 1990s. Will they survive the transition?

With the hints provided in my original post, you'll eventually come to like Windows 8/8.1. I assure you.

No worries! Upgrading from Windows 7 or 8/8.1 will preserve your personal files, applications and settings; including the games you have had since the 1990s grin.
Re: In Comes Windows 10 (Windows 8, Not That Deficient Though) by shawlxAk(m): 2:32pm On Jul 18, 2015
Tolzeal:
Okay...
Nice one.

It will be more sweet able when you move to windows 8.1

Thanks.. But by Windows 8, I meant both 8 and 8.1. I use them both. The same logic applies.
Re: In Comes Windows 10 (Windows 8, Not That Deficient Though) by dhsfbi(m): 2:46pm On Jul 18, 2015
shawlxAk:

With the hints provided in my original post, you'll eventually come to like Windows 8/8.1. I assure you.

No worries! Upgrading from Windows 7 or 8/8.1 will preserve your personal files, applications and settings; including the games you have had since the 1990s grin.
Your files, apps and settings are save. i am currently using the technical preview and i did not loose anything. There is even an option in control panel that allows you revert back to your previous OS, but i am not sure if it will still be available after the final release. https://www.nairaland.com/2459688/windows-10-almost-ready-check

(1) (Reply)

Ice Prince Zamani Wears A Face Mask In Concert / What Would Happen If Piracy (copyright) Became Legal Worldwide? / Usefull System Softwares

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.