Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,194 members, 7,829,271 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? (2302 Views)

Top 10 Naija Celebrities Who Became Famous For Their Bad Character / Omotola's Thermocool Advert: Obsessed Fan Attacks Shop / Young Girl Obsessed With Sean Tizzle Shares Disturbing Photos Of Them Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jul 17, 2015
[b]Everywhere you turn these days, the Kardashian family is making headlines. And while the family earned some minor fame in the 1990s after the late Robert Kardashian represented O.J. Simpson during his wife’s murder trial, these days, the Kardashians are undoubtedly the hottest family in Hollywood. The 5th season of their E! reality show “Keeping Up With the Kardashian’s” averaged nearly 4.7 million total viewers, 14 percent more than last season and was the series’s highest-rated and most-watched season opener in history. It was also the network’s second most-watched telecast ever, only losing out to their last season finale.

But the reality show is only a small part of the ever-expanding Kardashian empire – sisters Khloe and Kourtney scored their own Miami-based spin-off series, the three older sisters are getting ready to release their own autobiography “Kardashian Konfidential,” they earn big bucks endorsing a multitude of products from the weight loss pill QuickTrim to Famous Cupcakes. The recently released a sunless tanner called Kardashian Glamour, have their very own Bebe clothing collection, shoe society ShoeDazzle and just announced that their own line K-Dash will be sold on QVC this month – this is all in addition to being flown around the world to appear at parties and events. Furthermore, the sisters swooped in for a top ten spot on People’s 25 Most Intriguing People of 2009.

Kim, the most famous of her siblings given her past relationship with star footballer Reggie Bush and infamous sex tape with rapper Ray J, is currently working as the producer of an E! reality series “The Spin Crowd,” was a contestant on “Dancing With the Stars” made guest appearances on “America's Next Top Model” as well as “CSI:NY,” released her own workout DVD, and a self-titled fragrance. She was recently immortalized into a wax figure at Madame Tussuads alongside the A-list likes of Madonna, Jennifer Aniston, Kate Moss and Drew Barrymore.

But one question remains -- why are the Kardashians famous?

“We've entered an era where ‘fame’ has far less to do with genuine talent and love for one's craft and far more to do with tabloid scandal and reality television antics,” Alec Shankman , a former reality show talent agent and founder of online casting service “GotCast” told Pop Tarts. “The Kardashians arguably 'launched' much in part due to Kim's one-time BFF status with Paris Hilton, and then her subsequent sex tape. Soon thereafter, the family is outselling box office movie stars on the new stands. Entry into the once glamorous celebrity in-crowd is now often as easy as creating a viral moment of tabloid gossip.”

But what is unique about Kim Kardashian in particular is that, although her initial foray into the public eye stemmed from hanging out with notorious party girl Paris Hilton, having a sex tape fall into the hands of adult distribution company Vivid Entertainment, and posing naked for Playboy, she is certainly no Snooki or Heidi Montag. The 29-year-old seems to have been able to turn her reality stardom into an A-list affair.

Earlier this year, Kim was featured (nude and un-airbrushed) in high-end fashion magazine Harper’s Bazaar, she is on the latest cover of beauty magazine Allure, and was honored with a spot in People Magazine’s “Most Beautiful” list this year.

"The Kardashian ladies are ultra media savvy, we have seen many heiresses get famous but this is the first family to do so, which is why the media seems to be so fascinated,” explained AP Entertainment/Pop Culture Expert, Natalie Rotman. “There is something for everyone with this group. They are like a 'Sex In The City' reality show. There is the pretty one that dates around, the loud one that married a NBA champion, and the smart one – with the not so smart baby daddy."

[quote]And the Kardashian’s don’t just tape their show, and then let the fame and fortune come to them – apparently they know how to hustle.[quote]

“As a bunch, the Kardashians are aggressive – if mom/manager Kris needs something for a gift bag, she'll ask for 80 Hermes scarves. If they're going somewhere, they don't just call ‘the paparazzi,’ they have preferred photographers who capture staged everything,” reality show producer/Hollywood publicist, Mikey Glazer, said. “Plus the Kardashians have commercial relevance because it's not one hot girl, but three eye-catching girls (in different ways). The complex sibling relationship is more relatable than Paris Hilton to Nicole Richie. It's the same reason that the original “Idol” judge trio sizzled – tense chemistry is always between the three.”

Even “CSI: Miami” starlet Eva LaRue feels those like the Kardashian’s have the ability to build longer-lasting careers than her very talented acting counterparts.

“As actors, we don’t have shows that are going to be on the air forever, so you have to wisely brand yourself,” LaRue told us. “But some of the reality show stars are better at branding themselves than television stars, like the Kardashians, so maybe they’ll have more longevity.”

Aside from Kim’s sex tape and Khloe’s 2007 DUI, very little heat seems to be generated in the media about the Kardashian crew – and it is not necessarily because they don’t have any dirty laundry to air.

“It’s strange how you never see a bad word written about them,” a family insider said. “Their mom Kris (who also happens to be Kim’s manager) knows just how to make friends with the right reporters and get the right things in the press, and keep the rest out.”

So in glorifying this family – famous for nothing in particular – is society setting a bad example to children that they don’t need to necessarily aspire to having brains or a particular skill in order to really do well in life?

“A recent survey of school children revealed that many teens today would rather be famous than smart, they’d rather be a celebrity assistant than go to Harvard. Although fascination with celebrities and fame is nothing new, never before has it seemed so attainable for so many,” Melissa Henson, Director of Communications and Public Education at the Parents Television Council said. “Most modern celebrities, from the cast of ‘Jersey Shore’ to the Kardashians, achieved their fame or notoriety not through any real merit or talent, but by having sex tapes made public, or by acting like entitled, spoiled brats on some reality TV show. Is this really the example we want our children to follow?"

But according to one of Hollywood’s leading reality show casting agents, Doron Ofir, the appeal of the Kardashian family is that we can all see a little of ourselves among their many trials and tribulations.

“Reality television gives socialites like Paris and Kim the chance to be icons, it takes away the veil of prestige and highlights the drama and idiosyncrasies that everybody has in their lives,” Ofir said. “True artists are famous for no reason, I challenge anyone to tell me who won the Nobel Peace Prize the last five years. But someone like Kim Kardashian, will be remembered.”[/b]

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/09/01/kardashian-kraze-world-obsessed-family-famous-reason/

Cc Ishilove misssclassy

Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by kamair237(m): 3:37pm On Jul 17, 2015
world a beg me exclusive
Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by lordtim001(m): 3:49pm On Jul 17, 2015
Thank God the craze isn't affecting me.Who is Kim Kardashian undecidedThank God the craze isn't affecting me.Who is Kim Kardashian.Could someone please locate her for me in that pic?
Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jul 17, 2015
lordtim001:
Thank God the craze isn't affecting me.Who is Kim Kardashian undecidedThank God the craze isn't affecting me.Who is Kim Kardashian.Could someone please locate her for me in that pic?
lol which pic?
Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by chybykee(m): 4:11pm On Jul 17, 2015
That TV Show sha..... E don mad my gf

E! Go soon die

SS all the way joor
Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by lordtim001(m): 4:35pm On Jul 17, 2015
The one below the mister's signature
Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by herald9: 5:59pm On Jul 17, 2015
My worst show ever!
Talks talks talks and more talks
Stuupid activities I don't even understand It's relevance
shiit shiit shiit in fact I hate all reality shows!
Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 17, 2015
chybykee:
That TV Show sha..... E don mad my gf

E! Go soon die

SS all the way joor
Lwkmd..
E! should not take the blame nau... Them JUST wan make money...

SS2 for life...
Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jul 17, 2015
herald9:
My worst show ever!

Talks talks talks and more talks

Stuupid activities I don't even understand It's relevance

shiit shiit shiit in fact I hate all reality shows!
Hehehe
Boss you dey vex..
Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jul 17, 2015
na their hustle abeg....

And no, no1 in this life hates dem more than i do
Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 17, 2015
Well what can I say? We live in an era where everyone has their ears on the floor for the latest news and gist.
Everyone wants to know the latest trend and celebrity gossips. With the increasing popularity of blogs and fashion and lifestyle magazines and tv stations, people just want to keep to date about the buzz, happenings and controversies in the entertainment scene. It has become a thing of joy for a lot of people.

90% of people, especially the youths in the world who have access to the internet are on one social media platform or the other.
Take Twitter for example. Even you freemanan, you won't deny that you are following one or two celebrities or "A list star" on twitter or instagram. That's exactly my point. Everyone wants to know what's going on in the life of these celebrities and media icons.
The truth is whatever people find interesting, they always want to be informed about that thing.

Now let me bring it down the Kardashians. You have already talked about their history and how kim became popular and all that, so I won't bother anymore on that.
You would agree with me that every one likes controversy and controversy sells a huge deal. And this is what the Kardashians have successfully been able to bring to the table, season after season, most especially Kim.

Like I stated earlier, everyone likes to know the lastest news about these celebrities and the kardashians have been able to present a platform where we wouldn't have to go on twitter to read tweets or wait for issues of magazines
to be released before we can know what's the latest news about their family, but we can could just sit in our sitting rooms and watch their everyday lives.
Reality shows are becoming popular these days even here in Nigeria. The likes of Big Brother Africa have been able to draw a lot of people to the world of reality shows. And the show; Keeping up with the kardashians is also an interesting piece.

Due to the controversies this family has been able to create, and the exotic lifestyle they live, it has made the show a really entertaining one to watch.

One other thing working for them is the way the whole family has continued to remain together and close knit since the show began.
Some people grew up watching the Kardashians, and some have watched them grow and develop and it kind of creates a sort of connection. It's like watching a kid grow from childhood into adult hood.
So it would be a bit hard to stop watching them.

Don't also forget that the kardashian ladies are good on the eye. They have good genes in their family and it results in producing really beautiful ladies.
Humans are attracted to beautiful things and people. It's a natural phenomenon, so that kind of helps the popularity of the family.

The media also plays a huge role in all this. The media makes a lot of money from their shows so it also helps in promoting their shows on it's various platforms.

Although these ladies don't have any particular talent, per se, they have managed to dip their whiskers in a lot of areas, especially fashion. This has helped in promoting the Kardashian brand, and in turn making them all the more popular.
Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by herald9: 6:56pm On Jul 17, 2015
Freemanan:

Hehehe
Boss you dey vex..
Lol I don't like the show at all. How will I sit glued to my television, watching the activities and inactivity of some European family. What message are the trying to pass across and what's the importance that message to an African family. There are a thousands of reality tv shows I could watch, but the Kardashians is certainly not one of them.
Not everyone is fascinated with their lifestyles.

I came to know of Kim through Kanye West. Her life is hers and not mine to watch.
Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 17, 2015
herald9:

Lol I don't like the show at all. How will I sit glued to my television, watching the activities and inactivity of some European family. What message are the trying to pass across and what's the importance that message to an African family. There are a thousands of reality tv shows I could watch, but the Kardashians is certainly not one of them.
Not everyone is fascinated with their lifestyles.
Some ladies have exactly this same opinion about football.... one man food na another one poison...
Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jul 17, 2015
misssclassy:
Well what can I say? We live in an era where everyone has their ears on the floor for the latest news and gist.
Everyone wants to know the latest trend and celebrity gossips. With the increasing popularity of blogs and fashion and lifestyle magazines and tv stations, people just want to keep to date about the buzz, happenings and controversies in the entertainment scene. It has become a thing of joy for a lot of people.

90% of people, especially the youths in the world who have access to the internet are on one social media platform or the other.
Take Twitter for example. Even you freemanan, you won't deny that you are following one or two celebrities or "A list star" on twitter or instagram. That's exactly my point. Everyone wants to know what's going on in the life of these celebrities and media icons.
The truth is whatever people find interesting, they always want to be informed about that thing.

Now let me bring it down the Kardashians. You have already talked about their history and how kim became popular and all that, so I won't bother anymore on that.
You would agree with me that every one likes controversy and controversy sells a huge deal. And this is what the Kardashians have successfully been able to bring to the table, season after season, most especially Kim.

Like I stated earlier, everyone likes to know the lastest news about these celebrities and the kardashians have been able to present a platform where we wouldn't have to go on twitter to read tweets or wait for issues of magazines
to be released before we can know what's the latest news about their family, but we can could just sit in our sitting rooms and watch their everyday lives.
Reality shows are becoming popular these days even here in Nigeria. The likes of Big Brother Africa have been able to draw a lot of people to the world of reality shows. And the show; Keeping up with the kardashians is also an interesting piece.

Due to the controversies this family has been able to create, and the exotic lifestyle they live, it has made the show a really entertaining one to watch.

One other thing working for them is the way the whole family has continued to remain together and close knit since the show began.
Some people grew up watching the Kardashians, and some have watched them grow and develop and it kind of creates a sort of connection. It's like watching a kid grow from childhood into adult hood.
So it would be a bit hard to stop watching them.

Don't also forget that the kardashian ladies are good on the eye. They have good genes in their family and it results in producing really beautiful ladies.
Humans are attracted to beautiful things and people. It's a natural phenomenon, so that kind of helps the popularity of the family.

The media also plays a huge role in all this. The media makes a lot of money from their shows so it also helps in promoting their shows on it's various platforms.

Although these ladies don't have any particular talent, per se, they have managed to dip their whiskers in a lot of areas, especially fashion. This has helped in promoting the Kardashian brand, and in turn making them all the more popular.
I can't but agree love.
But my purpose for posting this thread marries the curiosity of the original writer. There are lots of reality shows which are selling to audience today because of the aforementioned you stated. Now to the Kardasians, theirs is different. Do you know that my mum's age grade watch this program here in "AFRICA"?
AN AFRICAN lady in her early 50s watching a reality show by Westerners? That is deep.
I am not a follower of the show but their glamour and success haven't precede my knowledge. It's more than your normal lifestyle and show... it's bigger.

If you know DaVinci very well, you will know in which light I see the Kardasians...

NB: SEEMS YOU ARE AN ADDICT.. cheesy.
Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by herald9: 7:29pm On Jul 17, 2015
Freemanan:

Some ladies have exactly this same opinion about football.... one man food na another one poison...
It's a lady's show sha,especially the wannabes who crave for everything European. The follow up celebrities like their purpose of existence depends on it. They wouldn't mind going extra miles just to be noticed by these demi-gods. Therefore they stay glued to the TV to be up to date with their activities, so they could flow whenever the discussion comes up on twitter. These type of girls loves partying, fashion and gossip...etc

But real girls don't do that. Any Nigga watching that is a bish.
Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 17, 2015
herald9:
It's a lady's show sha,especially the wannabes who crave for everything European. The follow up celebrities like their purpose of existence depends on it. They wouldn't mind going extra miles just to be noticed by these demi-gods. Therefore they stay glued to the TV to be up to date with their activities, so they could flow whenever the discussion comes up on twitter. These type of girls loves partying, fashion and gossip...etc

But real girls don't do that. Any Nigga watching that is a bish.
Jeez..
Your opinion on the issue at hand is extreme.. I agree mist girls that follow the show and it's likes are "wannabees" but I will Leave that for a special day.

I have seen lotta guys following the show and even giving you detailed analysis... No jokes.... I guess the FAMILY aura is transgender..
Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by Tolzeal(m): 8:01pm On Jul 17, 2015
Now that it's KHADASHIAN story..
I seriously need a Summary
Re: Kardashian Craze: Why Is The World Obsessed With A Family Famous For No Reason? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jul 17, 2015
Tolzeal:
Now that it's KHADASHIAN story..
I seriously need a Summary
Common Read...

(1) (Reply)

Romantic Photos Of Kemi Adetiba & RMD Kissing Go Viral - OMG / Shocking: Late Actress Henrietta Did Not Have Any Child For Jide kosoko / Patoranking's Car Windscreen Got Damaged By Jamaican Ghetto Guys (pics,video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.