Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,996 members, 7,956,707 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 05:14 PM

Mosquitoes Can Get A Double Dose Of Malaria - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Mosquitoes Can Get A Double Dose Of Malaria (675 Views)

Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? / These LG Tvs Can Repel Mosquitoes...either They're On Or Off! / How To Get Rid Of Mosquitoes: A Homemade Mosquito Trap That Really Works (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mosquitoes Can Get A Double Dose Of Malaria by khalhokage(m): 7:10pm On Jul 17, 2015

Mosquitoes infected with one strain of malaria are more likely to pick up another, a new study shows.

Carrying malaria makes mosquitoes more susceptible to infection with a second strain of the parasite that causes the disease, a new study demonstrates.

People can get infected with malaria parasites multiple times, but researchers knew little about how malaria affects the mosquitoes that are responsible for transmitting the disease.

In laboratory experiments, Laura Pollitt of the University of Edinburgh and colleagues fed female Anopheles stephensi mosquitoes mouse blood tainted with malaria parasites. Compared with uninfected mosquitoes, those that had picked up one strain of Plasmodium chabaudi malaria in their first blood meal were more likely to get infected with a second malaria strain later. Existing infections also increased the number of parasites of the second strain in the mosquitoes, Pollitt and colleagues report July 16 in PLOS Pathogens .

The team did not report whether mosquitoes carrying a double dose of malaria are more likely to pass the parasite to humans or other hosts.

Source: Science News
Re: Mosquitoes Can Get A Double Dose Of Malaria by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 17, 2015
undecided[sup][/sup]
Re: Mosquitoes Can Get A Double Dose Of Malaria by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jul 17, 2015
I see . . .

Nice but vague news . . .
Re: Mosquitoes Can Get A Double Dose Of Malaria by khalhokage(m): 7:13pm On Jul 17, 2015
Teempakguy:
I see . . .
Nice but vague news . . .
How is it vague?
Re: Mosquitoes Can Get A Double Dose Of Malaria by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 17, 2015
khalhokage:

How is it vague?
I don't know what to add to it. Or comment. The news is kinda . . . dry, you know? It doesn't make people WANT to add to it . . . it's not that controversial. Nor does it carry emotion. Most people would just veiw this and leave. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Mosquitoes Can Get A Double Dose Of Malaria by khalhokage(m): 8:09pm On Jul 17, 2015
Teempakguy:
I don't know what to add to it. Or comment. The news is kinda . . . dry, you know? It doesn't make people WANT to add to it . . . it's not that controversial. Nor does it carry emotion. Most people would just veiw this and leave. embarassed

Ok that's good enough for me, at least they got the information.

1 Like

Re: Mosquitoes Can Get A Double Dose Of Malaria by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jul 17, 2015
[/b][b]
khalhokage:

Ok that's good enough for me, at least they got the information.
nice outlook. wink

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Common Misconceptions In Science. Part 2 / HOW To Link Your Bvn With Out Going To The Bank / Angry Reps, Minister Clash Over Suspension Of NITDA DG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.