Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,535 members, 7,827,001 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

Walden Alumna thrives in male-dominated IT Field - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Walden Alumna thrives in male-dominated IT Field (604 Views)

My Case With Walden University / Advise Needed: Walden University Threatening To Sue Me. / Walden University Is On My Neck. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Walden Alumna thrives in male-dominated IT Field by toyin80: 1:43pm On Jul 21, 2015
The growing presence of women in the field of information technology in Nigeria is a reflection of changes in the sector over the past decade. This growth can be attributed to women earning university degrees on par with those of their male peers, made even more possible with the availability of online learning options.

While many women now have better access to tertiary education, men still outnumber women seven to three in IT. Women who do choose to enter the field may face multiple challenges, including balancing personal and career obligations and overcoming stereotypical gender expectations of tech executives.

But for Walden University alumna Whyte Stella Tonye, who recently completed the Master of Information Systems Management programme online at the institution, the desire to succeed in the field of IT to make more meaningful contributions to her organisation and community far outweighed these challenges.

“I like to be creative and dynamic, to do things that are unique, and I found that in the IT industry. There is always something new and challenging in IT. It makes you think, reason and do more,” she said.

Equipped with an undergraduate degree in computer science, Tonye, a wife and mother of four, sought the advanced degree in order to improve her skills and enhance her contributions to her organisation. But what she received was much more.

In her role as a principal programme analyst at the Rivers State Ministry of Health, Tonye develops and manages the department’s database, trains junior staff and manages IT issues within the ministry. However, since her completion of her master’s programme, she has embarked upon a much more rewarding journey. Her education at Walden was key to opening new doors of opportunity in her career, and she took a lot more away from the university than just an IT education.
Says Tonye: “Studying at Walden has brought out the best in me. My time management skills have improved greatly and I am much more aware of the impact of social change, which I will take with me throughout my career. My family and friends are also very excited about my achievements. I’m even taking this initiative further by enrolling for a PhD programme at the university.”
Designed with input from IT industry leaders and employers, Walden’s Master of Information Systems Management programme integrates core business and management principles with the advanced technology training required to compete for in-demand careers in IT. Students in the programme are provided with both the management and advanced technology skills needed to help their organisations grow and thrive.

Tonye chose Walden University due to its exceptional educational standards.
According to Tonye, Walden University empowers students with practical skills that can be applied in real-life situations. “At Walden, I understood the true meaning of social change. I was able to deploy the skills that I acquired from the university in the presentation of a proposal on the development of a critical project for the Incidence Response Team in the ministry,” she explained.

Besides presenting the opportunity to study for a master’s programme that mirrors her professional development goals, Tonye explained that the convenience and flexibility of online learning at Walden allowed her to tailor her class selection and schedule to fit seamlessly into her work and personal life.
From Nigeria’s current Minister of Communication Technology, Dr. Omobola Johnson, to the founder of leading telecom services and network solutions provider MainOne, Funke Opeke, more women like Tonye are standing out and succeeding in the male-driven IT environment. Together, they are engendering positive change and giving much-needed boosts to workers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) roles.

“Generally, there are lots of challenges in academics, especially as a career woman with four children. The challenges I had were peculiar to my terrain as an African woman. In order to succeed, you have to make up your mind always to win, taking one day at a time and never giving up on reaching your goal,” Tonye concluded.

http://www.waldenu.edu/ for more info smiley

(1) (Reply)

University Of Uyo 2015/2016 Post Utme Form Is Out / Meet The Youngest Nigerian Microsoft Professional (PHOTO) / Waec, Neco, And JAMB Cbt Tips For Success

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.