Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

Loving Someone Who Has Sickle Cell - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Loving Someone Who Has Sickle Cell (990 Views)

Sickle Cell Disease - 6 Crisis In 5weeks. Please Help Why?? / University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Loving Someone Who Has Sickle Cell by jseak(m): 8:17am On Jul 23, 2015
There are so many complications around dating and/or marrying someone that has sickle cell. Even if the love is so strong and you would want to go ahead with marrying such partner, your family might frown at that decision.
The fact is that, generally, your partner would vanish once they discover you are a sickle cell patient. It only takes a partner with the heart of gold to know the enormity of your condition and still remain in love.

Today, I will be sharing the story of a woman who has sickle cell, battled with several low esteem and rejection from men and later found love. I hope her story would serve as motivation to other sickle cell carriers out there.

Mrs Tosin is the writer and publisher of an online platform for people living with sickle cell sicklecellwarriors.com

In her story, Tosin had many boyfriends runaway immediately they discovered the complications of her condition. There was a particular guy that she was really serious with that ended up running away after her first main hospitalization although he had been around her all through the time she was sick. He confessed she love her so much and can't bear seeing her in pain talk more of having to deal with that for the rest of his life.

Tosin at a point in her life had a lot of self esteem issues linked to dating because of her sickle cell. She was only involved in short term relationships like 4 - 7 months before she gets hit by crises which is a sure bad signal for any guy she's dating at that period.

Tosin had to accept all sort of mistreatment from guys because of her condition but eventually she realised that it isn't because she was not good enough, but because she's been with the wrong guys. She took time out to learned how to fall in love with herself.

That decision changed her life and that was when she began to not see herself as a sickler but a sickle cell warrior. She stopped having low esteem issues abd she got into full control of herself and relationships.

These let her to meeting her eventual husband. The man changed her entire perception of men. She informed him about 6 weeks before they started dating that she had sickle cell, giving him a breakdown of what it was.

Eventually, they started dating and the guy was very supportive and helping her find a possible cure. His commitment wowed Tosin and this was the begining of her journey to finding a new life.

I hope her story would motivate you to learn how to tell the guys/girls upfront about your condition, before they get too attached. It takes a special man/woman to be able to love a sickle cell carrier and the right person for you will always come along to stay by your side, through thick and thin.

Source: http://www.abdoolwahab.com/2015/07/loving-someone-who-has-sickle-cell.html?m=1

Re: Loving Someone Who Has Sickle Cell by feldido(m): 8:18am On Jul 23, 2015
Touching
Re: Loving Someone Who Has Sickle Cell by Nobody: 8:21am On Jul 23, 2015
I think it all boils down to your understanding of the condition. I'm a practising medical doctor and my fiance has sickle cell.
Nothing has changed. She's even more pleasant than all the supposedly normal ladies I've dated and her self esteem is high up there.
Once you don't stand a chance of having SS children, go ahead!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Man Commits Suicide In Festac Today... (graphic Photos) / Http://www.musclehealthfitness.com/alpha-fuel-720 / 20 Cancer Signs & Symptoms Not To Avoid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.