Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,656 members, 7,823,860 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Can You Accept A 70% Pay Cut? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can You Accept A 70% Pay Cut? (653 Views)

I Can't Accept A Job Offer That Pays Below 100k/month ( Keke Rider) / Can You Accept A Job That Pays Lesser Than Your Previous One? / Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Accept A 70% Pay Cut? by mondob2k(m): 10:10pm On Jul 23, 2015
I belong to the construction industry. I just saw a post from a CCECC which is another firm in the same industry and I knew the situation is not akin to us only. I have already made up my mind to make this post. So here we go...

My coy is having financial issues since the change of govt. and we were ask to stay off work for a couple of months. After some negotiations with the relevant agencies, my MD was asked to complete the remainder of his job (less than 2km) so he can make his claims. He estimated to complete the job in less than two months.

He recalled us back and held a meeting. He announced that all workers will be based on a salary of N15k a month for the duration of the job. All workers accepted except mua. Majority of the workers are drivers and operators whose take home pay is btw 25 - 35k. But I am on N70k a month. Accepting N15k seems like an insult to me. I operate the asphalt plant which is computerized. Though I av a Master degree in Mech Engrg, I wasnt employed based on academic qualifications. I was employed because I could operate and maintain the Production Plant. Mind u, when I came in, I insisted on 90k while he said he will pay 100k if i can successfully operate the plant. And that since the materials are not ready then he will place me on 70k until everything is ready for my practical interview. it took 2 months for it to be ready. so i was paid N70k monthly during that period for doing next to nothing. After passing the test exceedingly well at the commencement of work, I reminded him of our gentlemanly agreement. But he said I should continue like that for the time being. A year and 6months later, this is happening.

Prior to the 'melt down' he always insinuate that my pay can settle two to three of other workers pay.

Now fellow Nlanders, put urself in my shoes. Will u accept this drastic pay cut? Transportation cost is estimated at N4800monthly
Re: Can You Accept A 70% Pay Cut? by boboLIL(m): 4:40am On Jul 24, 2015
Frm 70k t0 15k? 0ga find an0da job fr ur own good

2 Likes

Re: Can You Accept A 70% Pay Cut? by jashar(f): 8:16am On Jul 24, 2015
Bros, you'll get better offers. Leave

M.sc earning 15k cry cheeiiii diaris God oo...

1 Like

Re: Can You Accept A 70% Pay Cut? by yomi007k(m): 8:24am On Jul 24, 2015
Oh God.

Life is Hard.
cry

No further comments
Re: Can You Accept A 70% Pay Cut? by mondob2k(m): 9:07am On Jul 24, 2015
jashar:
Bros, you'll get better offers. Leave

M.sc earning 15k cry cheeiiii diaris God oo...

Copy that.... thanks

(1) (Reply)

8 Reasons Why You Must Leave Office On Time / 5 Billionaire Habits That Can Make You Richer / Top 10 Fun And Useful Ways To Spend Your Weekend Days As A Worker.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.