Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,780 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Is your site ready for an average user? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Is your site ready for an average user? (448 Views)

Suggest A Nigerian Webhost To Use For An Average Site With Less Traffic! / 10 Tricks To Build Quality Backlinks To Your Site (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is your site ready for an average user? by Berrypie(f): 7:59pm On Jul 24, 2015
If you have been using computers and surfing the Internet for some time, as is likely the case since you're visiting a site for webmasters, you would probably have acquired a large number of skills that enable you to find things on the Internet, navigate a site, deal with the annoyances that some sites pose, and the like. The problem with such proficiency is that it is easy to lose touch with how a large portion of Internet users actually operate on the Web, and thus design a site that does not take advantage of the special needs of these "average users".
What is the "Average User"?

I realise that some of you will probably take exception to my use of the term "average user". After all, it is difficult to pinpoint what an average user is. The "average user" in the computer industry is vastly different from, say, the "average user" in the agricultural sector.

My use of "average user" here might appear to some to have the connotation of "novice user". I refrained from using "novice" because many of these users are not exactly new to using a computer yet their level of competence in surfing the Internet and their knowledge of the use of the computer are at best rudimentary. With the explosion of the Internet reaching into many homes in the world, it seems to me that such users are continually increasing in number. Where once upon a time when we think of a computer user we imagine a nerd, now, just about everyone uses a computer, even my elderly parents. This widespread use of computers also means that the computer is no longer the province of an elite few who actually understand the innards of a computer. The average user is no longer that computer professional, but the large number of people who treat the computer as an appliance, somewhat the way we regard our toasters or television sets.

This in turn has implications on the things you can do on your site and the things you might want to avoid.

Visiting a Site When a URL is Known
Click this link to read more http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/averageuser.shtml

(1) (Reply)

10 Wordpress Plugins You Should Use / Free Website / How To Put Affiliate Or Adsense Advert In Middle Of Blogger Blog Post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.