Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,791 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life (43964 Views)

Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life / UNIMAID Graduates 172 First-class Students / 10 Causes Of Poor Academic Performance In School – Most Students Never Admit #8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:21pm On Jul 27, 2015
Please Sir, cut the guy some slack. But you're right. Cramming information in world record times(2 days to Exams) or in marathon times (from the start of a term or semester) does not in any way show intelligence.
Albert Einstein once said, "Everyone is a genius. If you judge a fish by its inability to climb a tree, that fish would think it is stupid."
These grades and ranks blind a lot of people to the true intelligence, worth and ingenuity of individuals in our education today.

refreshrate:

At bolded if truly these are the rantings of a first class student/graduate then i guess we really are more screwed than we thought.
What kind of composition is this? Or was your first class in a foreign language?

Which school awarded you first class in Geography with this sorry excuse of the use of English language abeg?

To your post or what can be comprehended of your attempt at the English language, cramming and pouring does not i repeat does not make for intelligence.
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by TonySpike: 3:34pm On Jul 27, 2015
First class graduates by global standards, in a proper University, do not exceed more than 3% of the overall bell-curve of annual graduands. Infact, there were just 15 first class grads in my University out of about 1540 graduating students (that's 0.97%). Let's do the maths, annually there are about 150,000 graduates from different Nigerian Universities (rough estimate). So, in reality there can't be more than 4500 first class graduates annually. My question is this: why would anyone envy 4500 out of 150,000 graduates? Must everyone follow the same path to success in life? I wonder why people open this type of threads, is it an attempt to feel good or justify their inadequacies?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by refreshrate: 4:33pm On Jul 27, 2015
desource13:
. I'll leave u with dis 2 links 2 read abt him https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akinwumi_Adesina and www.premiumtimesng.com/news/183839-nigerian-minister-adesina-elected-president-of-african-dev-bank.html. God bless u as u read

Guy did you read the links you sent to me?
How does this justify the argument? Or youre not clear on what OP was trying to get across sir?
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by refreshrate: 4:35pm On Jul 27, 2015
TonySpike:
First class graduates by global standards, in a proper University, do not exceed more than 3% of the overall bell-curve of annual graduands. Infact, there were just 15 first class grads in my University out of about 1540 graduating students (that's 0.97%). Let's do the maths, annually there are about 150,000 graduates from different Nigerian Universities (rough estimate). So, in reality there can't be more than 4500 first class graduates annually. My question is this: why would anyone envy 4500 out of 150,000 graduates? Must everyone follow the same path to success in life? I wonder why people open this type of threads, is it an attempt to feel good or justify their inadequacies?

were you able to read the initial post or its comprehending what its was about thats your challenge?
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by refreshrate: 4:37pm On Jul 27, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Please Sir, cut the guy some slack. But you're right. Cramming information in world record times(2 days to Exams) or in marathon times (from the start of a term or semester) does not in any way show intelligence.
Albert Einstein once said, "Everyone is a genius. If you judge a fish by its inability to climb a tree, that fish would think it is stupid."
These grades and ranks blind a lot of people to the true intelligence, worth and ingenuity of individuals in our education today.

ill listen to you on grounds of you being very reasonable in your approach to issues. Tell that boy not to come here to flaunt his weak first class that he cant even defend here ever again in his life
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by Freksy(m): 4:45pm On Jul 27, 2015
Lautechgossip:

Hardly do first class graduates become first class personality While in University, we often spend too much energy in acquiring good grades that we forget to acquire good class personality.

After concentrating all energy in acquiring the first class grades, we transform into a society where first class grades don’t matter much as having a first class personality.

In school, its easy to read,memorize and pass exams, but in real life, there is no sure book of life to progress, no memorizing, no exams, just you and your inbuilt capability which require no contest with anybody.

Those who eventually become big in life are mostly people who hardly make good grades in school.

Prof. Abletor Sedofia from University of Ghana has this to say to us:

“Academic excellence is overrated! Did I just say that? Oh, yes, I said it. Being top of your class does not necessarily guarantee that you will be at the top of life.

You could graduate as the best student in
Finance but it doesn’t mean you will make more money than everybody else. The best graduating Law student does not necessarily become the best lawyer.

The fact is life requires more than the ability
to understand a concept, memorise it and reproduce it in an exam.

School rewards people for their memory. Life rewards people for their imagination and innovations. School rewards caution, life rewards daring. School hails those who live by the rules. Life exalts those who break the rules and set new ones.

So do I mean people shouldn’t study hard in school? Oh, no, you should. But don’t sacrifice every other thing on the altar
of First Class. Don’t limit yourself to the classroom.

Do something practical. Take a leadership position. Start a business and fail. That’s a better Entrepreneurship 101.

Join or start an association.
Contest an election and lose.
It will teach something Political Science 101 will not teach you.

Attend a seminar. ...Read books outside the scope of your course.

Go on missions and win a soul for eternal rewards. Do something you believe in! Think less of becoming an excellent student but think more of becoming an excellent person. Make the world your classroom!

Have a great life!

http://lazyreporta.com/reasons-why-first-class-students-in-school-never-become-first-class-people-in-life/

Many drop their school bags and relax when they think they have finished, forgetting life itself a school/college, you graduate when you die.
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by tchalae: 5:06pm On Jul 27, 2015
Late Chief mko Abiola graduated with a first class....lazy students shld stop beefing...

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by HoluwadareY(m): 5:30pm On Jul 27, 2015
refreshrate:

At bolded if truly these are the rantings of a first class student/graduate then i guess we really are more screwed than we thought.
What kind of composition is this? Or was your first class in a foreign language?

Which school awarded you first class in Geography with this sorry excuse of the use of English language abeg?

To your post or what can be comprehended of your attempt at the English language, cramming and pouring does not i repeat does not make for intelligence.
lolzzzz. Bros abeg be happy when u c someone making it. And out of curiosity may i ask how hard u tried to make a 1st and were denied??
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by iBDKing: 5:32pm On Jul 27, 2015
I study Computer Science (DELSU) and in my third year with 4.88 GP, but I invest my time in other things. I have a business I manage and I pay both my fees and that of my younger sister. The real first class student is one who is first class in life.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by refreshrate: 5:46pm On Jul 27, 2015
HoluwadareY:
lolzzzz. Bros abeg be happy when u c someone making it. And out of curiosity may i ask how hard u tried to make a 1st and were denied??

Your best effort at being a comedian abi?
Someone comes here spewing that he's a first class graduate without proper comprehension of the English language and I'm supposed to be happy with him?

Yeah I didn't graduate with a first class but that guys effort at the English language is nothing compared to mine, what does that tell you?

Seriously.
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by refreshrate: 5:50pm On Jul 27, 2015
Freksy:

Many drop their school bags and relax when they think they have finished, forgetting life itself a school/college, you graduate when you die.

Allow them
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by tchalae: 5:52pm On Jul 27, 2015
refreshrate:

Someone comes here spewing that he's a first class graduate without proper comprehension of the English language and I'm supposed to be happy with him?

Yeah I didn't graduate with a first class but that guys effort at the English language is nothing compared to mine, what does that tell you?

Seriously.

Why do people always associate the use of English with intelligence, English is just another language like french or german...there are excellent expatriates who knw nothing about the English Language and stl do well in their various fields......som ppl encountered english as a second language and dier native as a first...so cut dem some slack

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by refreshrate: 5:52pm On Jul 27, 2015
tchalae:
Late Chief mko Abiola graduated with a first class....lazy students shld stop beefing...

How many years now has he been dead?

So since then you no see another example?

You're not helping yourself with this point if you really think about it o

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by HoluwadareY(m): 5:55pm On Jul 27, 2015
refreshrate:

Seriously.

it tells me two tins sir:
1. That u are a master in English(probably)
2. That the guy is a master in geography(his field).Lobatan!!!
Pls read d comment of a guy abt Albert Einstein(even Einstein was nt a genius outside physics).Peace!
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by tchalae: 6:00pm On Jul 27, 2015
refreshrate:

How many years now has he been dead?

So since then you no see another example?

You're not helping yourself with this point if you really think about it o

Even the so called rich men who dropped out of school like Gates and Zuckerburg are intellects in their fields, and wld probably hve finished top of dier classes if dey continued till grauduation....

Festus odimegwu, Ceo nigerian breweries and one of d multimillionaires in Nigeria graduated with a first class

Professor Charles soludo also did

Dr. Joseph odumodu- DG SON also did

Nasir el rufai- is among them.....and d list goes on

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by HoluwadareY(m): 6:01pm On Jul 27, 2015
TonySpike:
i tire 4 dem my broda. Na because u c one 1st class graduate wey no dey do well,u come dey generalise d tin. What abt millions of people without 1st class that are living under average in life. Pathetic y people ll hav to put others down just to cover up 4 dia inadequacies. Thumbs up jare

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by refreshrate: 6:06pm On Jul 27, 2015
tchalae:

Why do people always associate the use of English with intelligence, English is just another language like french or german...there are excellent expatriates who knw nothing about the English Language and stl do well in their various fields......som ppl encountered english as a second language and dier native as a first...so cut dem some slack

You like to argue sha albeit without clear understanding.

Where did you see me associate English with intelligence now ehn?

What I was trying to understand in a nutshell hoping you can get this was how could he call himself a first class student & not have proper comprehension of the English language? Did he not write exams? in English? it's only logical.

In line with your justification, What language do we use for studies here in Nigeria?

If the guy wan go jand go do masters they will ask in what language was your first degree awarded, you will advice him to say English, meanwhile him no too sabi English oyinbo go say na first class graduate.

He goes to jand writes this type of English ratings of universities in Africa go commot dem go bone Nigeria.

You will come and open thread here to ask how come they didnt list Nigeria?
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by refreshrate: 6:13pm On Jul 27, 2015
HoluwadareY:
it tells me two tins sir:
1. That u are a master in English(probably)
2. That the guy is a master in geography(his field).Lobatan!!!
Pls read d comment of a guy abt Albert Einstein(even Einstein was nt a genius outside physics).Peace!

if you can't argue logically why expose yourself like this?

How does he communicate his mastery in geography to his lecturers do they have a separate language?

You're defending a first class student that can't speak proper English?
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by HoluwadareY(m): 6:31pm On Jul 27, 2015
refreshrate:

if you can't argue logically why expose yourself like this?

How doas he communicate his mastery in geography to his lecturers do they have a separate language?

You're defending a first class student that can't speak proper English?

i think u r better ignored sir.Have a good day! Btw,congrat to d broda dat made a 1st amidst several distractions unlike some dat wish dey did and r pained...and to every stds pls dnt allow dis average minded individuals to discourage u.as i av said earlier:I WOULD RATHER MAKE A 1ST AND LATER FIND OUT IT'S NT WORTH IT DAN SETTLE 4 LESS AND LIVE TO REGRET IT as anytin dat is worth doing at all IS WORTH DOING VERY WELL.peace!

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by tchalae: 6:41pm On Jul 27, 2015
refreshrate:

You like to argue sha albeit without clear understanding.

Where did you see me associate English with intelligence now ehn?

What I was trying to understand in a nutshell hoping you can get this was how could he call himself a first class student & not have proper comprehension of the English language? Did he not write exams? in English? it's only logical.

In line with your justification, What language do we use for studies here in Nigeria?

If the guy wan go jand go do masters they will ask in what language was your first degree awarded, you will advice him to say English, meanwhile him no too sabi English oyinbo go say na first class graduate.

He goes to jand writes this type of English ratings of universities in Africa go commot dem go bone Nigeria.

You will come and open thread here to ask how come they didnt list Nigeria?

Well you do have a very good point...but dnt judge the class of degree based on a typographical error.
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by refreshrate: 6:42pm On Jul 27, 2015
HoluwadareY:

i think u r better ignored sir.Have a good day! Btw,congrat to d broda dat made a 1st amidst several distractions unlike some dat wish dey did and r pained...and to every stds pls dnt allow dis average minded individuals to discourage u.as i av said earlier:I WOULD RATHER MAKE A 1ST AND LATER FIND OUT IT'S NT WORTH IT DAN SETTLE 4 LESS AND LIVE TO REGRET IT as anytin dat is worth doing at all IS WORTH DOING VERY WELL.peace!

Yes you have spoken wisely.
The future awaits him.

I pray he runs into one of those small HR girls wey school for jand come speak this him English.

it would be fantastic make e come be say him senior the girl well well.
choi.

By the way I'm certain you didn't read the original post or have comprehension issues that's why you're writing this.
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by refreshrate: 6:45pm On Jul 27, 2015
tchalae:

Well you do have a very good point...but dnt judge the class of degree based on a typographical error.

I know a typo when I see one.
The guy was trying to flaunt and made clear blunders in his English.
Then some other people come all up in here trying to justify God knows what!

When they say Nigerian graduates are unemployable this thread proves it 110%
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by CoolBigSam(m): 7:45pm On Jul 27, 2015
tchalae:

I actually gave ur comment a like, but on the other hand, it still boils down to the bone of contention: a first class grad should be first class in all ramifications, even in the use of the language in which he/she was taught in all of his/her life, at least being coherent enough in writing.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by Onyiridike(f): 8:02pm On Jul 27, 2015
@OP, you are simply jealous.

I am not a first class graduate but I seriously worked hard to become one.

If it is easy to read, memorize and pass exams, everybody would graduate with first class.

Also, being a first class person or having a first class personality is different from being wealthy, popular and influential.

Personality has to do with the difference in behaviour, feeling and thought. Dangote, 2-face, Bill Gate and Adenuga may not have first class personality.

It is ONLY in Africa that everything is reduced to money and afluence.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by fowowe411: 8:03pm On Jul 27, 2015
Lautechgossip:

Hardly do first class graduates become first class personality While in University, we often spend too much energy in acquiring good grades that we forget to acquire good class personality.

After concentrating all energy in acquiring the first class grades, we transform into a society where first class grades don’t matter much as having a first class personality.

In school, its easy to read,memorize and pass exams, but in real life, there is no sure book of life to progress, no memorizing, no exams, just you and your inbuilt capability which require no contest with anybody.

Those who eventually become big in life are mostly people who hardly make good grades in school.

Prof. Abletor Sedofia from University of Ghana has this to say to us:

“Academic excellence is overrated! Did I just say that? Oh, yes, I said it. Being top of your class does not necessarily guarantee that you will be at the top of life.

You could graduate as the best student in
Finance but it doesn’t mean you will make more money than everybody else. The best graduating Law student does not necessarily become the best lawyer.

The fact is life requires more than the ability
to understand a concept, memorise it and reproduce it in an exam.

School rewards people for their memory. Life rewards people for their imagination and innovations. School rewards caution, life rewards daring. School hails those who live by the rules. Life exalts those who break the rules and set new ones.

So do I mean people shouldn’t study hard in school? Oh, no, you should. But don’t sacrifice every other thing on the altar
of First Class. Don’t limit yourself to the classroom.

Do something practical. Take a leadership position. Start a business and fail. That’s a better Entrepreneurship 101.

Join or start an association.
Contest an election and lose.
It will teach something Political Science 101 will not teach you.

Attend a seminar. ...Read books outside the scope of your course.

Go on missions and win a soul for eternal rewards. Do something you believe in! Think less of becoming an excellent student but think more of becoming an excellent person. Make the world your classroom!

Have a great life!

http://lazyreporta.com/reasons-why-first-class-students-in-school-never-become-first-class-people-in-life/
Prof. Albetor Sedofia? Seriously? Something I composed myself. Smh for Nigerians sha... I have been seeing this been passed around and I can't even explain how hurt I am for having the credit of my work given to another person.
For doubting thomases here before you quote me check my personal blog campus thrills. and search for "Life 101".
This is so annoying!
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by fulanigirl(f): 8:13pm On Jul 27, 2015
UfuomaUN:
No one hates first class graduates as much as nairalanders. It's a shame really. I blame it on Jealousy

I've noticed that too. Why do people assume being a first class student means you crammed your way through school? Does intelligence and hard work not play a part?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 27, 2015
refreshrate:

You obviously have never run a company before.
na theory you wan use run your company abi?

issokay o.

Guy better find people wey get experience and connections on how to get things done.

Person sabi cram for exam mean say him sabi work abi?
u sef.....shey u don run company?........most companies employs 2:1 and above and d company dey move.....whether u like it or nt ur academic performance in school says much about how well u will function in a company
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 27, 2015
refreshrate:

You obviously have never run a company before.
na theory you wan use run your company abi?

issokay o.

Guy better find people wey get experience and connections on how to get things done.

Person sabi cram for exam mean say him sabi work abi?
u sef.....shey u don run company?........most companies employs 2:1 and above and d company dey move.....whether u like it or nt ur academic performance in school says much about how well u will function in a company.......if u like argue it wont change d fact

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by refreshrate: 8:21pm On Jul 27, 2015
SAVEDBABA:
u sef.....shey u don run company?........most companies employs 2:1 and above and d company dey move.....whether u like it or nt ur academic performance in school says much about how well u will function in a company.......if u like argue it wont change d fact

2 actually consult for a third with a forth coming in board before middle of next month.

So I know what I'm saying.

Now, what's your basis ?
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by desource13(m): 8:31pm On Jul 27, 2015
refreshrate:

Guy did you read the links you sent to me?
How does this justify the argument? Or youre not clear on what OP was trying to get across sir?
. I dnt tink u knw wat it takes 2 attain wat Dr Adesina has attained in life... Its like u tink its by jst reading/memorising books dat makes him get 2 dat level of achievement... Dat man is an extra-ordinary person nd 4 d records i undastand veri well wat d Op is trying 2 get across... Bt I'll leave wit dis quote " Anything worth doing is worth doing better"... I've never come across any 1st class graduate who is unemployed..
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by refreshrate: 8:36pm On Jul 27, 2015
SAVEDBABA:
u sef.....shey u don run company?........most companies employs 2:1 and above and d company dey move.....whether u like it or nt ur academic performance in school says much about how well u will function in a company

That's what you're trained to believe fact is you see most of those guys who don't do so well in school? They socialise more, thereby establishing relationships. Those relationships turn into the contacts you need to get the job done.

I'm not ruling out entirely on good grades trust me I've seen the power of relationships & what contacts can do.

Let me give you live example

NYSC corps member with a pharmaceutical a while back nothing spectacular about her grades.
Clinches a deal with a major hospital for the company. She gets official car + driver whilst still serving for this.

No be she graduate best in her class o

===========================================

Another case study
Manager in telecoms firm, driving with her in her GL sees her class rep from school, Negro was strolling down the opposite direction with folder in his hand. You sabi as class rep grade dey be for school. She goes " that basta7d used to be my class rep in school, what happened to him?" This was years after their graduation. I don't know the scenario between them in school then I do know I prefered chilling in the air conditioned merc with her at that point. Go figure
Re: Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life by refreshrate: 8:38pm On Jul 27, 2015
desource13:
. I dnt tink u knw wat it takes 2 attain wat Dr Adesina has attained in life... Its like u tink its by jst reading/memorising books dat makes him get 2 dat level of achievement... Dat man is an extra-ordinary person nd 4 d records i undastand veri well wat d Op is trying 2 get across... Bt I'll leave wit dis quote " Anything worth doing is worth doing better"... I've never come across any 1st class graduate who is unemployed..

Na dat last line you take fvck up guy.
That you haven't seen doesn't make it so. please modify Just in case you probably haven't taken time to study your role model here his positions were appointments. As a minister I'm sure you know how that plays out in Nigeria or are all our ministers first class graduates?

answer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Represent Your Primary, Secondary And College / 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' / Question Paper Of A School In Abuja For Primary Four Pupils

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.