Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,161 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Expatriates living In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Expatriates living In Nigeria (4365 Views)

African Woman Living In American / The Social And Cultural Implications Of Living In The West / New Blog By A Hausa/fulani Woman Living In England (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Expatriates living In Nigeria by Udode(f): 9:58am On Mar 16, 2009
I am looking for people who are living in Nigeria and are not nigerian themselves. I am thinking to move and live there with my husband, that is why i would like to get in contact with expatriates that are already there! Anyone here?
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by spikedcylinder: 4:20pm On Mar 16, 2009
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 8:22pm On Mar 16, 2009
@ post

expatriates or not, just vist nigeria and play by the rules vai keep low profile!!

how do u know u aint gona be raped by expatriate lipsrsealed
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by Udode(f): 8:29am On Mar 17, 2009
Did I say anything bad about nigerians. I am sorry but you have to read my text -
i want to go and live in that country, not tourist ok, so the last thing i would do is
make a difference between expatriate or nigerians. I just wanted to see if i could get
in touch with some people who have already adapted to the culutre and the life in nigeria,
as i am intending to do,  undecided
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 10:19am On Mar 17, 2009
Udode:

Did I say anything bad about nigerians. I am sorry but you have to read my text -
i want to go and live in that country, not tourist ok, so the last thing i would do is
make a difference between expatriate or nigerians. I just wanted to see if i could get
in touch with some people who have already adapted to the culutre and the life in nigeria,
as i am intending to do, undecided

So you want to live with an expatriate for life or what. or u want to live in a place where expatriates are concentrated.
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by Udode(f): 10:24am On Mar 17, 2009
No I am not nigerian - which would make me an expatriate if I live in nigeria :-)
and no i do not want to live in a place where expatriates are concentrated, i am very
fine with nigerians themselves, all I wanted was to find out what experiences people
who are not nigerians made when they moved to nigeria,
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by morpheus24: 3:01pm On Mar 17, 2009
Udode:

No I am not nigerian - which would make me an expatriate if I live in nigeria :-)
and no i do not want to live in a place where expatriates are concentrated, i am very
fine with nigerians themselves, all I wanted was to find out what experiences people
who are not nigerians made when they moved to nigeria,

Don't mind this hostile people, They like to look for trouble too much. The webiste oyibos online is your best bet but most of them are station in lagos, Abuja and Port harcourt.
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by Udode(f): 3:51pm On Mar 17, 2009
@morpheus24

its ok, i have checked out the oyibo page, but honestly, i think those are mostly people that work in a oyibo company and are not much integrated in the country, u know what i mean. From what i read they are rather negatively minded and have stayed true to their oyibo culture, i would prefer to hear from people that for example speak igbo and made good experiences, not those who just go to nja for work and then come back to wherever they come from!
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by morpheus24: 4:25pm On Mar 17, 2009
Udode:

@morpheus24

its ok, i have checked out the oyibo page, but honestly, i think those are mostly people that work in a oyibo company and are not much integrated in the country, u know what i mean. From what i read they are rather negatively minded and have stayed true to their oyibo culture, i would prefer to hear from people that for example speak igbo and made good experiences, not those who just go to nja for work and then come back to wherever they come from!
Unfortunately you are right as far as the website is concerned but it could be quite useful to you in the long run. Once you get there you will come across others that live there as well and can easily make friends but you have to find the type of people who get along with you,

living in Nigeria requires a lot of changes and even though you mentioned visiting other African countries I would suggest a gradual intergration into the culture and the people, once you are used to mannerisms, customs and so on then you will not find situations frustrating.

Which is why you will need a network of people like you who live in the country,

Don't worry you will find them when you get there.
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by prittigrrr(f): 1:09pm On Mar 23, 2009
There is also a Naija wives site but I dont know the address. They have chapters all over Nigeria and I'll bet they would be a great resource for you.
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by Udode(f): 2:16pm On Mar 23, 2009
pls,,,can you not find out the name of the website?
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by tiffcisco(f): 11:31pm On Mar 24, 2009
Id like to know that site as well!! Best of luck on ur move!!! When are u planning to go?? What part will you be going to? Not that I know much abt Nigeria lol! By fiances family is in Abuja. I should be going soon for a visit as well. Cool to meet other expats there also!!!
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by prittigrrr(f): 11:40pm On Mar 24, 2009
Ok ladies, your collective wishes are my command. Here is the address for Niger Wives:

www.nigerwivesnigeria.com

Best of luck!
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by europegirl(f): 11:46pm On Mar 24, 2009
@udode

This is a wonderful website for people that are moving to Nigeria and are not Nigerian themselves. Check it out! It is super helpful and breaks it down by regions where you can find other wifes that are mariied to Nigerians and are living in Nigeria.

www.nigerwivesnigeria.com
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by europegirl(f): 11:48pm On Mar 24, 2009
@prittigrrr

Sorrry, I posted the same website. I tend to hurry into things before I read all the posts! No offense! wink
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by prittigrrr(f): 12:01am On Mar 25, 2009
@europe

None taken. smiley
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by tiffcisco(f): 1:41am On Mar 25, 2009
thank prittgrrr!!! Ur too wonderful!!! :-)
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by Udode(f): 8:47am On Mar 25, 2009
Thank you for the website, how nice that such a thing exists. You know I think this is a really good thing, i imagine it not to be the easiest thing in the world to adapt in a new society in a new culture.

@ tiffcisco
I will probably be moving within the next 2 to 5 years, denends on the money and how long it takes for me to organize myself :-) To what part i really dont know yet. I would like to open up a shop - and for that reason lagos would be my address, but if I can find a job or something to do in aba, i will go to Aba (where my fiance is coming from). I guess i will judge on that after coming back from my vacation (i am going to nigeria in 2 weeks :-))
Re: Expatriates living In Nigeria by Badriyyah(f): 10:34am On Mar 25, 2009
Ah good old Nigerwives, my mum was a part of it. That would be much better choice that the other site. When I was kid, they hosted a lot of events, and I definitely made lifetime friends. smiley

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Meaning Of Osu? / A Stranger Buys You Food While You're Out On A Date With Another Man / Benin, Edo: Legends, Myths, Stories, History...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.