Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? (11565 Views)

Let's Talk About Automatic Transmission Fluid (gear Oil) / Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? / Photo: Is This The Best Way Of Securing Your Car From Theft? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by ophilly: 12:06pm On Jul 28, 2015
To check the level of automatic transmission fluid in the gearbox we normally use the dipstick. Some people have advised me to read this dipstick while the engine is running while some others think this should be done when the engine is at rest. Which is the correct way?
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by DECOtech(m): 12:33pm On Jul 28, 2015
ophilly:
To check the level of automatic transmission fluid in the gearbox we normally use the dipstick. Some people have advised me to read this dipstick while the engine is running while some others think this should be done when the engine is at rest. Which is the correct way?

Start your engine, pull the gear select lever from P tru R N D to 3 2 1 depending on how your selector us labelled and then back to P. Leave ur engine running while you pull out the auto-tranny fluid dip-stick. Wipe it clean, dip n pull out again and observe the fluid level on the dip-stick.

Cheers.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by bravolad(m): 2:46pm On Jul 28, 2015
DECOtech:

Start your engine, pull the gear select lever from P tru R N D to 3 2 1 depending on how your selector us labelled and then back to P. Leave ur engine running while you pull out the auto-tranny fluid dip-stick. Wipe it clean, dip n pull out again and observe the fluid level on the dip-stick.

Cheers.

Before doing the above, drive for about 15-20 minutes to allow engine warm up. Then, follow the above step. Your manual should also give you additional information.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by Kashif(m): 2:51pm On Jul 28, 2015
DECOtech:

Cheers.

bravolad:

Before doing the above, drive for about 15-20 minutes to allow engine warm up. Then, follow the above step. Your manual should also give you additional information.

The way you check ATF level varies from vehicle to vehicle.

OP, you must state the vehicle you are checking before you have a valid procedure. You don't need to drive the car for it to get to optimal temperature.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by ophilly: 8:24pm On Jul 28, 2015
Kashif:

OP, you must state the vehicle you are checking before you have a valid procedure. You don't need to drive the car for it to get to optimal temperature.
2000 Toyota Sienna
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by chuka5000(m): 5:16pm On Jul 30, 2015
Kashif:

true talk
all vehicles aint the same
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by ophilly: 10:40pm On Jul 30, 2015
chuka5000:

true talk
all vehicles aint the same
For 2000 Toyota Sienna?
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by chuka5000(m): 12:11am On Jul 31, 2015
ophilly:
For 2000 Toyota Sienna?

Is it the same with the later models?
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by Kashif(m): 7:48am On Jul 31, 2015
ophilly:
2000 Toyota Sienna

DECOTECH's procedure should work, while making sure the vehicle is standing at zero gradient.
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by wintersnow(m): 7:30am On May 28, 2017
Please what is this topic about!
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by slimkiss(m): 7:33am On May 28, 2017
k
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by Xblink(m): 7:37am On May 28, 2017
Guage ATF wen engine is running and put the car in a gear...either reverse or forward but don't let d car move to avoid injury to personnel.
It is done dat way so dat u measure the remaining fluid level in d reservoir after the gearbox had taking the quantity it needs for working.
Also check you car manual.
ATF in most cases can last the lifetime of the car....n should only b changed or tampered with if it is leaking or u experience a problem with the gearbox......, in either case, use the one specifically made for ur car. Your gearbox can b damaged immediately if u use the wrong oil. ...

4 Likes

Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by Nobody: 7:40am On May 28, 2017
The most dangerous thing I've ever did be as a DIY was the check the oil level on my 740iL.

Def not for the faint of heart.
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by Nobody: 7:41am On May 28, 2017
How about Toyota Avalon
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by oluwafemi113(m): 7:48am On May 28, 2017
DECOtech:

Cheers.

why taking all the step when you can gauge before starting the engine...

Is better you gauge before starting the Engine and also confirm when the Engine is running...

N:B the leave of the fluid is excepted to be higher than that of when the engine is not running
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by chuka5000(m): 7:51am On May 28, 2017
wintersnow:
Please what is this topic about!

if u didn't read the topic or content of this discussion please shut up or stop writing. u are just showing people how - - - - - you are.

at op
please use ur owners manual. although somebody already gave u the correct method.

the owners manual of cars has all these stated clearly in them. u can even be t them online.
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by difference5050: 7:57am On May 28, 2017
Use pressure gauge or dipstick or level displacement

Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by Bishop(m): 8:41am On May 28, 2017
Kashif:

DECOTECH's procedure should work, while making sure the vehicle is standing at zero gradient.

Abeg this grammar is too much ..., while car is at idle position or at park position would have been ok. cheers
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by ChiefSweetus: 8:57am On May 28, 2017
Some cars don't have dipstick and fluid is sealed. How do you check those ones undecided
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by hardbody: 9:10am On May 28, 2017
Xblink:
Guage ATF wen engine is running and put the car in a gear...either reverse or forward but don't let d car move to avoid injury to personnel.
It is done dat way so dat u measure the remaining fluid level in d reservoir after the gearbox had taking the quantity it needs for working.
Also check you car manual.
ATF in most cases can last the lifetime of the car....n should only b changed or tampered with if it is leaking or u experience a problem with the gearbox......, in either case, use the one specifically made for ur car. Your gearbox can b damaged immediately if u use the wrong oil. ...

Thanks for the last sentence. I am that careless. I have misplaced the manual of my car but i need to top up the ATF. Fortunately my garage refused to heed to my instructions to top up using what I got, they specifically asked for what the manual prescribed. It's a 2010 mitsubishi pajero but i don't now know where I junked the manual.
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by hardbody: 9:12am On May 28, 2017
Bishop:

Abeg this grammar is too much ..., while car is at idle position or at park position would have been ok. cheers

The grammar no dey stand for any gradient jor, it's on a level ground and we all understood it.
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by lonelydora: 10:31am On May 28, 2017
Drive around for sometime and leave the engine running, then gauge.
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by equity2genesis(m): 11:06am On May 28, 2017
hardbody:

Thanks for the last sentence. I am that careless. I have misplaced the manual of my car but i need to top up the ATF. Fortunately my garage refused to heed to my instructions to top up using what I got, they specifically asked for what the manual prescribed. It's a 2010 mitsubishi pajero but i don't now know where I junked the manual.

You should be able to download a copy through google.
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by hardbody: 11:12am On May 28, 2017
equity2genesis:

You should be able to download a copy through google.

Thanks . I never gave this a thought.
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by bravolad(m): 12:32pm On May 28, 2017
As earlier mentioned, checking of Transmission Fluid is vehicle specific. On my 2004 Toyota Sienna with 3.3l 3MZ FE engine, you are required to drive the van till the engine reaches its peak (10 - 15 minutes). While parked at a level ground with the engine idling, pull the dipstick to check ATF level. This same procedure applies to 2004 - 2006 Lexus RX330 using the same engine.

Read your owners manual to ensure you have the right procedure.
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by Kashif(m): 12:54pm On May 28, 2017
Bishop:

No, it means being parked flat, not inclining in any way.
Re: Which Is The Right Way Of Gauging Transmission Fluid? by LeJeun3: 6:12pm On May 28, 2017

Coming all the way from 2015 to frontpage!

Cars with no dip sticks have their own methods of gauging fluid levels!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Armor Bulletproof Suv's For Nigeria Army General's @ Combat. See Pics / Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations / How Much Is Petrol In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.