Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,754 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead (5926 Views)

Top 10 Most Powerful Animal Bites / Alert-----payersworld.com Is Launching By 8pm Today....10k To Get 40k / Things You Might Want To Know About Nuclear Weapons (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by ikbnice(m): 12:11am On Jul 30, 2015
At the height of the Cold War, America's underground was rife with dozens of hidden nuclear-missile units.
Some of these systems contained Titan II missiles , which carried the largest single nuclear warhead of any missile of its kind before or since.

Titan II was a guided ballistic missile that was also the largest, most powerful nuclear weapons system ever deployed in the US. And it served one purpose: deterrence.
"The idea behind Titan II was to instill enough fear in the mind of the enemy to cause them to think twice about launching an attack against us," Chuck Penson, the archivist and historian at the Titan Missile Museum in Sahuarita, Arizona, told Derek Muller, the host of the YouTube channel Varitasium

In his latest Varitasium episode, Muller takes us inside an underground base where one of these monster Titan II missiles still stands, and he learns about the insanely complicated steps it would have taken to actually launch this terrifying piece of human engineering in the event of an attack.
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by Nobody: 12:12am On Jul 30, 2015
Yes? Yes?
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by ikbnice(m): 12:14am On Jul 30, 2015
Inside the missile was a weapon with incredibly destructive potential — 650 times as powerful as the bomb dropped on Hiroshima.
Therefore, it's no surprise that on the entry door into the silo, where the Titan II missile stands, there is a sign that reads "CAUTION."

Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by Nobody: 12:16am On Jul 30, 2015
True
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by ikbnice(m): 12:26am On Jul 30, 2015
Though the Titan II missile still stands, it no longer carries its dangerous cargo.
The Titan Missile Museum in Arizona, where this empty missile is located, includes the original site for one of the 54 underground silos across the country where deterrent missiles, such as Titan II, were hidden during the late 1950s and mid-'60s.
The control center with all of the gadgets, switches, and buttons — including those that would initiate a launch — is located far from the missile, beyond a series of long underground tunnels.
Another benefit, besides secrecy, to an underground launch site was that if the enemy successfully detonated a bomb in the US, the site's occupants would be shielded from the radiation as long as their base was not destroyed in the attack.
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by ikbnice(m): 12:28am On Jul 30, 2015
Once in the control room, Penson takes Muller through the multistep process of what it would have been like to launch a Titan II missile.

First, the speakers in the room sound an alarm that is followed by a message with a series of random numbers and words.
This message should have reached them only if the US president had ordered it.
Everyone in the room copies down the message and compares notes, and if they agree on what they heard, then they go to a red safe — which is locked, of course — containing a series of what Penson calls "authentication cards."

Each card contains two letters. If one of the cards has the two-letter combination that matches the first two letters in the secret message transmitted through the speakers, then the control room is officially "go" for launch.

After that, you just have one more six-letter code and two keys separating you from World War III. But the six-letter code is on a wheel with 17 million possible combinations, and the key slots are far enough apart that you must have two people turning them at exactly the same time.
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by ikbnice(m): 12:30am On Jul 30, 2015
After you insert the six-letter code, the commander counts down to the final key turn. The commander and his partner hold the keys down for five seconds, and then a terrifying green light illuminates the "Ready to Launch" panel.
"For all intensive purposes that should say, 'Welcome to World War III,' because that's pretty much what it boils down to," Penson said. "When you turn the key you are committed. There is no 'oops' switch."

Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by ikbnice(m): 12:31am On Jul 30, 2015
These precautions were taken to prevent a single person from launching a missile. After all, people can get pretty crazy and paranoid during times of war.
Though Titan II was never launched to prevent an attack on US soil, several of these missiles were launched. In fact, some were used to launch American manned missions through NASA's Gemini program to space.

http://www.businessinsider.com/inside-the-arizonas-titan-ii-missile-museum-2015-7

cc lalasticlala
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by ikbnice(m): 12:53am On Jul 30, 2015
Titan II launch...never pray for third world war o

Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by Nobody: 12:56am On Jul 30, 2015
It shall never launch on my lifetime.

Amen. smiley

But if I die and Robinhez is still alive, then it can launch.

Thanks. smiley
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by RobinHez(m): 9:05am On Jul 30, 2015
Teempakguy:
It shall never launch on my lifetime.

Amen. smiley

But if I die and Robin hez is still alive, then it can launch.

Thanks. smiley
Goat! grin
How old r u, how old am I??

But on a serious note...
I've been reading about "how to survive a nuclear attack" for some months now...dunno why?!

I just pray b4 WW3 starts...I should be old enough to have a house of my own...I'd definitely build an underground bunker cool
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by HiggsBoson(m): 11:24am On Jul 30, 2015
America and security threat. Humans and hate. May God help us.
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by ikbnice(m): 8:18pm On Jul 30, 2015
RobinHez:

Goat! grin

But on a serious note...
I've been reading about "how to survive a nuclear attack" for some months now...dunno why?!

I just pray b4 WW3 starts...I should be old enough to have a house of my own...I'd definitely build an underground bunker cool
do u think dat will work considerin the amount of nuclear radiation. Unlez u wil neva cum out of ur bunker. Radiation is highly dangerous.
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by ikbnice(m): 8:20pm On Jul 30, 2015
HiggsBoson:
America and security threat. Humans and hate. May God help us.
America may be the trigger that would end human race. And also not forgettin North Korea.

1 Like

Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by RobinHez(m): 9:10pm On Jul 30, 2015
ikbnice:

do u think dat will work considerin the amount of nuclear radiation. Unlez u wil neva cum out of ur bunker. Radiation is highly dangerous.
Yeah...If I'm rich enough...
Or do u think those who produced the bombs dnt have a plan to be safe frm it?

I'll just have to have everything I need there...nd remain in there till its safe to come out.
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jul 30, 2015
RobinHez:

Goat! grin

But on a serious note...

haba!
Goat ke? grin Shebi nah you talk say atomic battery go kill me na . . . you wey atomic battery no kill, dey dodge Titan II nah. tongue
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by ikbnice(m): 9:14pm On Jul 30, 2015
RobinHez:

Yeah...If I'm rich enough...
Or do u think those who produced the bombs dnt have a plan to be safe frm it?

I'll just have to have everything I need there...nd remain in there till its safe to come out.
It may never be safe to cum out nd u liv in there in finito.
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by ikbnice(m): 9:16pm On Jul 30, 2015
Teempakguy:
haba!
Goat ke? grin Shebi nah you talk say atomic battery go kill me na . . . you wey atomic battery no kill, dey dodge Titan II nah. tongue
Nobody wan die!
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by RobinHez(m): 9:17pm On Jul 30, 2015
ikbnice:
Wrong! Radiation can't go on forever tongue
Dats why we have half-life wink
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by RobinHez(m): 9:18pm On Jul 30, 2015
ikbnice:
Wrong! Radiation can't go on forever tongue
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by RobinHez(m): 9:19pm On Jul 30, 2015
Teempakguy:
haba!
Urs is a deliberate attempt to die tongue

I didn't start ww3...so I have to avoid it wink
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by ikbnice(m): 9:22pm On Jul 30, 2015
RobinHez:

Wrong!
Radiation can't go on forever tongue

i knw but u may nt liv long enuf to witness when it wil be safe to cum out. Residual radiation may take a long time by causing radioactive contamination.
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 30, 2015
ikbnice:

Nobody wan die!
hahaha. Tell that to these guys. grin

Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by RobinHez(m): 10:19pm On Jul 30, 2015
ikbnice:

i knw but u may nt liv long enuf to witness when it wil be safe to cum out. Residual radiation may take a long time by causing radioactive contamination.
See there?
Not only living under a bunker...there are other things involved too dat can keep one alive...

Just google up the stuff, nd prepare 4 war!
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jul 30, 2015
RobinHez:

See there?
Not only living under a bunker...there are other things involved too dat can keep one alive...

Just google up the stuff, nd prepare 4 war!
see this one . . . which war?
Abeg, nor pour sand for our garri. tongue Humanity has reached an equilibrium of world peace. cool
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by RobinHez(m): 10:33pm On Jul 30, 2015
Teempakguy:
see this one . . . which war?
Abeg, nor pour sand for our garri. tongue Humanity has reached an equilibrium of world peace. cool
Dey there...

U remember how those Korean guys hacked Sony? Dats how a war starts...
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jul 30, 2015
RobinHez:

Dey there...

U remember how those Korean guys hacked Sony? Dats how a war starts...
yes I know. But I am counting on the ability of men to restrain themselves.

Trust me man, if a nuclear war starts, no bunker will save you. Even the radioactive fall out will ruin the human chromosome forever.
Which I why I pray it will never launch during my lifetime. But if i should die and you're still here, then it can launch. After all, you've got a bunker. grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by RobinHez(m): 10:59pm On Jul 30, 2015
Teempakguy:
yes I know. But I am counting on the ability of men to restrain themselves.

Trust me man, if a nuclear war starts, no bunker will save you. Even the radioactive fall out will ruin the human chromosome forever.
Which I why I pray it will never launch during my lifetime. But if i should die and you're still here, then it can launch. After all, you've got a bunker. grin grin grin grin grin
He keeps saying dat grin grin

I'd need ur help and other scientists to save the world from total annihilation na grin

Dats why they (America nd Russia) are colonizing other planets already.
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jul 30, 2015
RobinHez:

He keeps saying dat grin grin

I'd need ur help and other scientists to save the world from total annihilation na grin

Dats why they (America nd Russia) are colonizing other planets already.
oh no!
I sense a conspiracy! The whites want to run away to mars and nuke us blacks, hereby wiping us from the face of the earth! shocked shocked

Okay, seriously. We have to find a way to deactivate evey single nuke im the world.
Remotely, if possible.
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by RobinHez(m): 11:11pm On Jul 30, 2015
Teempakguy:
oh no!
I sense a conspiracy! The whites want to run away to mars and nuke us blacks, hereby wiping us from the face of the earth! shocked shocked

Okay, seriously. We have to find a way to deactivate evey single nuke im the world.
Remotely, if possible.

Hmm...r u serious abt that theory, cuz I have my own theory...

They'd destroy their lands in war...nd then come to colonize africa again!
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jul 30, 2015
RobinHez:

Hmm...r u serious abt that theory, cuz I have my own theory...

They'd destroy their lands in war...nd then come to colonize africa again!
at this rate ehn, I am sure the anti spam not is eyeing us. angry

Okay, nice theory, but won't work, if they destroy their lands, we will have the advantage. Land is of the utmost importance in war. (Kindly watch ironclad or 300 for examples.)
So, unless they're total idiots. Or . . . o my God! They are the ones behind the terrorists! They are trying to divide and conquer! shocked shocked
grin grin man, we need to build a bomb for this country, cool
Re: Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 30, 2015
pinky n the brain rme

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why You Should Be A Physicist. / Whatsapp For PC Download, Whatsapp For Windows 7/8/vista Computer / Military Engineering: Top 10 Most Expensive And Advanced Weapons Ever Built.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.