Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,118 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University (2231 Views)

Getting A Federal Job Through Federal Character Commission / He Spent Over N6m For Masters In U.K But Regretting It Because No Job Yet / NGSDP NATIONAL POWER TRAINING INSTITUTE (NAPTIN): A FEDERAL SCAM? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by adonismuller(m): 5:09pm On Jul 30, 2015
Good day house, Permit me to use one stone to kill many birds.

I passed out from service early this month, been searching for job but non seem to be coming.

I graduated from the department of Civil Engineering with a 2:1, I am the impatient type of person, easily get fed up and depressed. This, I am trying to avoid by engaging myself in something no matter how little it is (either a job or education).

My question now is, Should I go for my masters with the little money I saved from NYSC?

If yes, how much is the total cost of running a masters degree in Civil Engineering (I would like to do it in Uniben or Awka).

If no, should I open a business with the little
savings while hunting for a job?

I am also proficient in AutoCad and I have a certification in HSE. So what Other Certification or training do I need as a civil Engineer?

Please if you have a good answer I will be most grateful if you share.

Thanks
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by Rapsainot(m): 5:11pm On Jul 30, 2015
go further in the United Kingdom undecided
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by adonismuller(m): 5:17pm On Jul 30, 2015
Rapsainot:
go further in the United Kingdom undecided
hahahahaha It would have been so great,but there is no money for that bro.

Abi u wan give me scholarship?

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by iyisco2001(m): 6:04pm On Jul 30, 2015
You really need to decide yourself, can u handle business, then go for it. Msc will cost you around 300k, about certification in civil engineering, I am not really familiar. But, try and see if you can get internship to gain some work experience. Remember, only you know your capabilities, in this kind of situation, only you can advise yourself, best of luck.
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by evolg(m): 6:19pm On Jul 30, 2015
The decision is really urs...bt my advice is dt u can go for masters if u av d financial capacity, it cost about 300k for d 18mths (About 170 for 1st year den d oda share goes for d remaining duration excluding feeding and accomodation) and alongside be applying for jobs....dt way, u won't seem stagnant.
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by adonismuller(m): 7:07pm On Jul 30, 2015
iyisco2001:
You really need to decide yourself, can u handle business, then go for it. Msc will cost you around 300k, about certification in civil engineering, I am not really familiar. But, try and see if you can get internship to gain some work experience. Remember, only you know your capabilities, in this kind of situation, only you can advise yourself, best of luck.
thanks a lot bro, but please the 300k is it for just the fees or both fees and othe expenses.

Once again thanks for your contribution
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by adonismuller(m): 7:10pm On Jul 30, 2015
evolg:
The decision is really urs...bt my advice is dt u can go for masters if u av d financial capacity, it cost about 300k for d 18mths (About 170 for 1st year den d oda share goes for d remaining duration excluding feeding and accomodation) and alongside be applying for jobs....dt way, u won't seem stagnant.
oh,okay...that means the school fees is not really upto 300k?...

Thanks a lot.
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by dhope: 7:35pm On Jul 30, 2015
try and do research of d cost of master prog by URSELF in ur school of choice. i expect u to have done dt and ask if no other money will be demanded frm u. av nt resumed for my master but i already have a schl dt request for d level of cash in my pocket in mind since there is no fixed amount for m.sc schl fee. e.g if ure in southwest now,while u pay more than 100k for 1st yr tuition in futa, u pay 63k for 1st yr in unilorin and dt is how d payment varies in naija schls. my advice for u is just dt master prog is good but u will only enjoy it if u have another unfailing source of income to pay some little bills as an adult.
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by Kassidy4luv(m): 7:36pm On Jul 30, 2015
I am also a civil Engr graduated with a 2.1 from Uniport.

My advice for you is to forget about a masters degree for now, apply for internship in consulting/ Civil structural firms, trust me you will be so grounded and experinced. Also keep applying for jobs and dont limit yourself to Civil engr jobs alone.

Try banks, audit firms, telecom, oil and gas etc......... Naija don turn hungle naaaa.
If you have any oda problem feel free to post them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by Valmesk(m): 8:04pm On Jul 30, 2015
Bros,it's not that easy to run a masters program without strong financial capacity,how much was your savings during your NYSC,i doubt it's up to 300,000 naira ''plus''(accepance fee+ school fees+various school charges+text books+handouts+steady researches and assignments+accomodation or transportation to and fro campus + highly important thesis or desertation),If you have strong financial back up you are good to go but if you doubt your capacity,pls venture into small scale business and be applying for job openings before starting your masters program,just believe one would click.The program incurs a lot of expenses.
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by agabaI23(m): 10:34pm On Jul 30, 2015
iyisco2001:
How did you arrive at 300k?

The cost of a masters training will depend on
1. Tuition
2. Time of completion
3. Type project

Tuition is a constant which can increase in multiples of 2, 3 if you allow your programme to run more than the minimum number of sessions allowable for your programme. For instance, if you do not finish under 1 year, you will pay for the next academic session.

Engineering projects are capital intensive. The cost of getting your materials and the cost of the materials; the cost of seminars and a whole lot.

You can limit this cost if have a good proposal and a good supervisor meaning that you know what you are doing. However there is no guarantee that your experiment will work out in first attempt. Go into research/academics if it is your passion if not .......

Goodluck
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by iyisco2001(m): 12:06am On Jul 31, 2015
adonismuller:
thanks a lot bro, but please the 300k is it for just the fees or both fees and othe expenses.

Once again thanks for your contribution
It will cover tuition and others, but project may not be inclusive.
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by adonismuller(m): 7:21am On Jul 31, 2015
iyisco2001:

It will cover tuition and others, but project may not be inclusive.
thanks man. Are you an engineering student? How much do you think project can cost?
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by adonismuller(m): 7:33am On Jul 31, 2015
agabaI23:

1. Tuition
2. Time of completion
3. Type project

Tuition is a constant which can increase in multiples of 2, 3 if you allow your programme to run more than the minimum number of sessions allowable for your programme. For instance, if you do not finish under 1 year, you will pay for the next academic session.

Engineering projects are capital intensive. The cost of getting your materials and the cost of the materials; the cost of seminars and a whole lot.

You can limit this cost if have a good proposal and a good supervisor meaning that you know what you are doing. However there is no guarantee that your experiment will work out in first attempt. Go into research/academics if it is your passion if not .......

Goodluck
sorry to ask,research/academics,do you mean I shld do somtin based on research? I plan on doing structures, do you think that will be too expensive?

Please how can one allow a program run more than expected? Is it by failing a course? I intend doin it full time though.

Thanks for your contribution bro.
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by agabaI23(m): 7:48am On Jul 31, 2015
adonismuller:
sorry to ask,research/academics,do you mean I shld do somtin based on research? I plan on doing structures, do you think that will be too expensive?

Please how can one allow a program run more than expected? Is it by failing a course? I intend doin it full time though.

Thanks for your contribution bro.
Your project is a research. You propose to do stuff that no one has done or to find out what will happen if some variables are changed. For instance, if you the normal practice is to use XY in building roads, will using XYZ make the road stronger... Or maybe pouring certain chemical on fragile untarred road will eliminate the need for asphalting. You will have to test the idea. It is not certain. You will have do the costing of what you want to do.

Staying extra year may due to many factors
1. You are not serious with the work.
2. Your supervisor doesn't have time for you
3. The project you started failed or you made a mistake
4. You could not get a certain research material delivered on time etc.
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by adonismuller(m): 8:14am On Jul 31, 2015
dhope:
try and do research of d cost of master prog by URSELF in ur school of choice. i expect u to have done dt and ask if no other money will be demanded frm u. av nt resumed for my master but i already have a schl dt request for d level of cash in my pocket in mind since there is no fixed amount for m.sc schl fee. e.g if ure in southwest now,while u pay more than 100k for 1st yr tuition in futa, u pay 63k for 1st yr in unilorin and dt is how d payment varies in naija schls. my advice for u is just dt master prog is good but u will only enjoy it if u have another unfailing source of income to pay some little bills as an adult.
I was trying to research on it that's why I came to nairaland,and I appreciate the contributions u guys have given me.

I inetend doing it in uniben,please if you have info for uniben share with me.

For the source of income I intend going for full time, I don't know if I can still do little works while doing the masters.
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by iyisco2001(m): 8:16am On Jul 31, 2015
agabaI23:

1. Tuition
2. Time of completion
3. Type project

Goodluck

Ok, I humbly accept, but, from an idea of unilag and UI, your tuition won't be more than 200grand, even with extra semester(unilag is 90k per session, UI is around 120 first session, 60 second session), projects all depend on your supervisor as you have rightly pointed out. But most time, the 100k plus covers for it all. Thanks for the criticism though.
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by iyisco2001(m): 8:22am On Jul 31, 2015
adonismuller:
thanks man. Are you an engineering student? How much do you think project can cost?
Yes, I am an engineer by profession. Honestly, project cost can't be fixed, it all depends in your supervisor as agabal23 said. But I still believe or assume that everything could go for 300k + 100k(variably for project).
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by agabaI23(m): 8:25am On Jul 31, 2015
iyisco2001:

Ok, I humbly accept, but, from an idea of unilag and UI, your tuition won't be more than 200grand, even with extra semester(unilag is 90k per session, UI is around 120 first session, 60 second session), projects all depend on your supervisor as you have rightly pointed out. But most time, the 100k plus covers for it all. Thanks for the criticism though.
Espeaklekwa! 100k is OK for for a standard Engineering and science-based undergraduate project in this 2015. It could be more.
Re: Cost Of Running Masters In Engineering In A Federal University by adonismuller(m): 8:31am On Jul 31, 2015
Kassidy4luv:
I am also a civil Engr graduated with a 2.1 from Uniport.

My advice for you is to forget about a masters degree for now, apply for internship in consulting/ Civil structural firms, trust me you will be so grounded and experinced. Also keep applying for jobs and dont limit yourself to Civil engr jobs alone.

Try banks, audit firms, telecom, oil and gas etc......... Naija don turn hungle naaaa.
If you have any oda problem feel free to post them.
bros you are right,but the problem is I might be looking for this Intern job and one year go just pass.

With the way the country is goin,even getting an intern job is difficult.

(1) (Reply)

Seven-up Bottling Company Recruiting / Ibadan People Pls Hw True Is These Recruitment,urgent Ans Pls / Urgent Vacancy: Data Collection Executive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.