Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,835 members, 7,828,053 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

Police And Random Arrests: When Is It A Crime To Move At Late Hours? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police And Random Arrests: When Is It A Crime To Move At Late Hours? (649 Views)

15 Suspected Badoo Members Arrested During Raid Between Police And OPC. PICS / The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. / Police And Militants Battle In Igando, Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police And Random Arrests: When Is It A Crime To Move At Late Hours? by emsevens(m): 1:09pm On Jul 31, 2015
I have noticed a new trend in my neighbourhood that is quiet alarming, men of the Police force go about on a random arrest spree daily between the hours of 10pm. I have had to condition my movements because of the fear that i can be harrassed for no reason even if i feel like taking a stroll.
It's a cliche that ignorance is not an excuse for sin, so i can be wrong by assuming strolling at late hours is not a crime. Please Nairalanders help shed more light on this issue because as i type this message, my security man is cooling his heels in a police cell and his crime is going on an errand arround the hour of 10pm. Please if we have barristers or law enforcement officers here help englighten me on possible charges in court because it has been rumoured that if i pay a fee of 5000 naira he will be freed. What's the fee for? If i pay will a receipt be issued? Please treat as urgent.
Re: Police And Random Arrests: When Is It A Crime To Move At Late Hours? by manmustwac(m): 1:42pm On Jul 31, 2015
which part of Nigeria is your neighbourhood in?
Re: Police And Random Arrests: When Is It A Crime To Move At Late Hours? by emsevens(m): 1:48pm On Jul 31, 2015
manmustwac:
which part of Nigeria is your neighbourhood in?
Abuja
Re: Police And Random Arrests: When Is It A Crime To Move At Late Hours? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 31, 2015
It is because the Nigerian police force is made up mostly of heartless, illiterate, incompetent, underpaid, power-hungry oafs in uniform who've little to no official training to help deal with real crimes so they engage in nightly arrests as a means to cure boredom as well as supplement their meagre salaries.

Give most humans a little power(in this case a uniform to lord over civilians) and watch them abuse it, give the dregs of society a little power and watch them turn into oppressors of the masses.

2 Likes

Re: Police And Random Arrests: When Is It A Crime To Move At Late Hours? by manmustwac(m): 4:07pm On Jul 31, 2015
charix:
It is because the Nigerian police force is made up mostly of heartless, illiterate, incompetent, underpaid, power-hungry oafs in uniform who've little to no official training to help deal with real crimes so they engage in nightly arrests as a means to cure boredom as well as supplement their meagre salaries.
Give most humans a little power(in this case a uniform to lord over civilians) and watch them abuse it, give the dregs of society a little power and watch them turn into oppressors of the masses.
Your typical nigerian landlord boss politician teacher soldierman pastor criminal etc infact anybody in naija who is in a position to take advantage of his or position will usually will not hesitate to do it

emsevens:
Abuja
and i thought Abuja would be a nice safe place since its the federal capital. Nigeria is getting worse day by day. I have been robbed and lost a lot of money about five times in the last 19 years during visits to nigeria everytime it has been by those armed robbers disguised as police officers sad
Re: Police And Random Arrests: When Is It A Crime To Move At Late Hours? by entparrot(f): 12:29am On Aug 01, 2015
90% of police men, are the people frustration and poverty has destroy their destiny, so they take the police job, not because of the salary, but to extort innocent citizens and enrich their pocket.

All police men involve in extorting and framing innocent citizens, will not have peace, they will die a shameful death.

1 Like

Re: Police And Random Arrests: When Is It A Crime To Move At Late Hours? by emsevens(m): 7:55am On Aug 01, 2015
i think with all your submissions nigeria needs community police or rather state police because we all know the bad eggs in our communities and it will be easier to prosecute bad policemen.

(1) (Reply)

[GRAPHIC PHOTO] Bus Crushes Man In Benin / These Parents Want You To Know Exactly How Their 18-year-old Daughter Died / Naked Lady Throws Her 6-month-old Baby Out Of 6-floor Window; Says "The Devil Is

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.