Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,949 members, 7,817,789 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace (2412 Views)

NSE Recruitment Job Portal Launched Ahead Of Transparent Recruitment Process / Police Recruitment: Arase Gives Insight On Recruitment Process / 2015 Usmanu Danfodio University Recruitment Apptitude Test Loading. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by jamesokikiola: 4:20pm On Jul 31, 2015
For some time now, some of us from Europe and US have been trying to respond to some adverts for jobs posted by universities in Nigeria. Unfortunately, such adverts require you to physically deliver 30 or more copies of typewritten CV and application letter asking for some ridiculous information in some cases e.g. the date you got born again, the date you got sanctified, the date you got baptized and whether you are a worker or not. But what is common is the physical delivery of 10 + copies of typewritten CV. In this 21st century, this is a disgrace to our educational system. With this kind of backwardness exhibited by the administrators of these universities, I am having a second thought about returning home. My people, what can you say about this?
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by yak(m): 4:34pm On Jul 31, 2015
It's annoying Bro. Av decided not to comment again. It's soooooooo annoying
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by ojun50(m): 4:48pm On Jul 31, 2015
It's annoying seriously
jst stay there don't bother coming home.
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by Handsomeemmy(m): 5:25pm On Jul 31, 2015
Very annoying even for those of us resident in Nigeria, in the era of technological advancement you still expect me to bring typed paper to your office?
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by tollyson: 5:26pm On Jul 31, 2015
It's annoying, irritating and vexatious.
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by Yksoul(m): 5:34pm On Jul 31, 2015
It's somehow,but it's a mean of reducing mass applicants and to maintain their religious advocations
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by Ephy12: 5:40pm On Jul 31, 2015
Come back home and change it. To do so, u need patience.
You too can own and operate a Uni and be d change u want to see!
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by ajasa4link: 5:41pm On Jul 31, 2015
Its not only annoying, its also a show of backwardness and lack of foresight on the part of the institutions particularly the private ones. In the past two weeks i've seen not less than 5 universities advertising job openings and requesting for physical submission of resumes and even some going to the extent of asking u to include the name of ur spouse, children and even their ages, and to make matters worse they request for 20 copies of resume! LIKE WHAT THE PHOCK!
No wonder some of the old professors and Dr's keep using outdated materials up till now because they just cant move on with the global trend now. The applicant could've sent in a soft copy of his resume and they could've copied it to as many HR personnel as possible to go tru it instead of going about requesting for hard copies that will end up in the groundnut sellers shop.
Anyways, i think its their way of life to keep asking for things they will not use just like the way the way theyask for 4 hard copies of final year projects which they always dump in a dusty room at the end of the day
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by LaurelP(m): 5:42pm On Jul 31, 2015
30 copies!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by jamesokikiola: 6:06pm On Jul 31, 2015
For example, this is a part of the advert posted by Obafemi Awolowo University requesting for 35 copies!

Application Closing Date
29th July, 2013
Method of Application
Applicants for Academic and the Senior Staff positions are required to submit 35 copies of their applications and up-to-date curriculum vitae giving the following information in order as listed below:

Full Name (Surname first in capital letters).
Post Applied for.
Date and place of birth (attach birth certificate/sworn affidavit).
Nationality.
State of Origin, Senatorial District and Local
Government Area (if a Nigerian)
Permanent Home Address.
Current Postal Address/including G.S.M.
Telephone number.
Marital Status.
Number of Children and their Ages.
Institutions attended with dates.
Academic/Professional qualifications and
distinctions obtained with dates (attach copies of credentials).
Work Experience with dates.
Present Employment, Status and Salary (if any).
Research interests and activities
Conference/courses attended (state titles of papers presented if any).
Professional accomplishment.
Publications with date.
Service to national and international bodies.
Extra Curricular Activities.
Any physical challenge?
Names and address of three (3) referees who must have been closely associated with candidate’s academic/work experience.

NOTE: (xiv) (xvii) are for candidates applying for lectureship positions only.
Candidates applying for any of the positions are advised to request their referees to forward confidential reports on them directly to the Registrar. The reports should be duly marked “CONFIDENTIAL”.
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by dhantey324(m): 6:53pm On Jul 31, 2015
No come home o! Job never reach we wey dey.. Bt we love unnecessary protocols in dis country sha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 31, 2015
Make all of una shattap there! angry Don't you ediots know that asking for 35 copies of your credentials is a commendable efforts by our educational institutions toward marginally reducing the operating cost of the Boli and groundnut sellers within the school premises. angry

Friedplantain
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by idu1(m): 9:26pm On Jul 31, 2015
Honestly, I don't know what they want to do with huge copies of credentials...

I think they are mad...
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jul 31, 2015
sad shocked
35 what?? The man / school must own a paper production company. angry angry
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jul 31, 2015
I guess most university administrators in Nigeria are computer semi-literate.
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jul 31, 2015
Front page pls
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jul 31, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Make all of una shattap there! angry Don't you ediots know that asking for 35 copies of your credentials is a commendable efforts by our educational institutions toward marginally reducing the operating cost of the Boli and groundnut sellers within the school premises. angry

Friedplantain
Stop trying to be melodramatic and stupid with every post.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by Emanodimo(m): 11:37pm On Jul 31, 2015
It is very annoying to request for such a no of copies to be sent as if it had no cost incurred, as if you are dealing with the whole department in that School. Even making a dean of a faculty or a lecturer as reference is another issue not to talk of sending a confidential letter to support your application. Our educational system is still lacking behind. We need to let them know.... .

1 Like

Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by kaka22(m): 11:42pm On Jul 31, 2015
I totally agree with the op. It's pure disgrace and embarrassment to our educational system. Whenever i see adverts like that, i always think about how we refuse to improve our way of doing things... I wish that could be changed...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by Valentinooo: 12:57am On Aug 01, 2015
Why will i even come to your office in this jet age to submit application letters and CV. This I've noticed among only the universities both private and public.
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by jabberjawz: 6:35am On Aug 01, 2015
Una neva see anything.....shortlisting qualified candidates to attend interview for d vacant role is like writing jamb....when u see d piles of applications......even with d outrageous 35 copies per applicant.........av seen a situation where people dat applied for the role of graduate assistant where asked to go back home on d day of interview.....that there's no vacancy for them......after keeping them waiting from 9Am till 6Pm in d evening........and d most annoying part of it was dat d sch( a federal university) did advertise on d national daily for d role of graduate assistant....along with other roles.......we will neva get it right......not until we weed out these old men (professors)who refuse to adapt to d changing trends.... They don't wanna retire....they don't wanna update their knowledge base & keep up with the trend.......they don't wanna give room for d younger ones to grow.......they forgot that majority of them did their Msc,PHD while on d job.......but they choose to make it difficult for d younger ones by requesting for outrageous qualification & experience.........av got little or no respect for majority of them because they always play d age card........we ain't talking bout age in dis generation.....we talking about efficiency & competence.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by DonTim1: 6:40am On Aug 01, 2015
@all, if u ever made it to the interview stage you will understand why. The panel consist of close to 15 or more persons, each one must be holding ur docus.The reason thus isnt far fetched, they don't want to be respondsible for printing of 15 or more copies of each applicants documents.

Even when there is a better alternative of having applicant submit electronic copies / fill online forms which can be viewed on tablets or such during interviews, it will suprise you Don's in the unis prefer to go through pages of paper.

You come up with an option to profer electronic solutions, this guys shut u up especially when they don't stand to make money fom the process.

My people the reason why nigeia is still backward is because of the old guys with archaic and retrogressive reasonings still heading positions with their 1973 Msc and Phds which they haven't updated or written a single research journal(this part is for another day)

May I use this to suggest that Nigeria and her ministries should ensure to have a sound IT department which has autonomy / at least a young leader who is not being managed by one oga at the top.

Another thing is we are begining to pay for our sins of nepotism, how ? u ask me, consider a job applied for by qualifiedd hands, but one oga at the top sends his list of incompetent people, what kind of decisions do you tink they'll make? Would such support technological advancement or computerization of manual methods? To shoow their lack of skill?

We need nationwide overhaul,young smart minds, and leaders with integrity and it begins with us.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by Valentinooo: 7:44am On Aug 01, 2015
jabberjawz:
Una neva see anything.....shortlisting qualified candidates to attend interview for d vacant role is like writing jamb....when u see d piles of applications......even with d outrageous 35 copies per applicant.........av seen a situation where people dat applied for the role of graduate assistant where asked to go back home on d day of interview.....that there's no vacancy for them......after keeping them waiting from 9Am till 6Pm in d evening........and d most annoying part of it was dat d sch( a federal university) did advertise on d national daily for d role of graduate assistant....along with other roles.......we will neva get it right......not until we weed out these old men (professors)who refuse to adapt to d changing trends.... They don't wanna retire....they don't wanna update their knowledge base & keep up with the trend.......they don't wanna give room for d younger ones to grow.......they forgot that majority of them did their Msc,PHD while on d job.......but they choose to make it difficult for d younger ones by requesting for outrageous qualification & experience.........av got little or no respect for majority of them because they always play d age card........we ain't talking bout age in dis generation.....we talking about efficiency & competence.

And these are the same set of people that enjoyed one post graduate scholarship or the other in their time from federal government, now they don't want the younger ones under them to enjoy same. angry sad
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:13am On Oct 31, 2019
jamesokikiola:
For some time now, some of us from Europe and US have been trying to respond to some adverts for jobs posted by universities in Nigeria. Unfortunately, such adverts require you to physically deliver 30 or more copies of typewritten CV and application letter asking for some ridiculous information in some cases e.g. the date you got born again, the date you got sanctified, the date you got baptized and whether you are a worker or not. But what is common is the physical delivery of 10 + copies of typewritten CV. In this 21st century, this is a disgrace to our educational system. With this kind of backwardness exhibited by the administrators of these universities, I am having a second thought about returning home. My people, what can you say about this?
if I had an opportunity to leave like u I won't bother coming back to Nigeria... a country where we don't honor merit but who u know... a country where we don't follow federal character policy to give every state a sense of belonging... I graduated with a second class upper in political science if there is fairness and justice by now I should be able to get a job esp in public sphere...
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:14am On Oct 31, 2019
jamesokikiola:
if I had an opportunity to leave like u I won't bother coming back to Nigeria... a country where we don't honor merit but who u know... a country where we don't follow federal character policy to give every state a sense of belonging... I graduated with a second class upper in political science if there is fairness and justice by now I should be able to get a job esp in public sphere... since I can compete for it but since I know nobody
Re: Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace by Edyice: 10:26am On Oct 31, 2019
My brothers saw the process and grin

They are now working on going back abroad .

How can someone write letters and summit 35 copies of CV grin ...

In this century were internet has made things very easy but some old mofos are making things look somehow ...

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy For Business Development Officer / Sales Rep Needed Urgently. Pays N45,000 Weekly / How To Apply For MTN Nigeria Massive Graduate Recruitment 2017 – Apply Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.