Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,650 members, 7,955,359 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:04 AM

Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? (3859 Views)

"Why Are The Gospels Of Matthew And John Different?" / Indeed! This Is The Last Time. The Breakdown Of Luke 21:25-27 / Photos Of Praise & Worship Leader, Don Moen With His Grandson's, Hank And Luke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by dalaman: 10:29am On Aug 04, 2015
Scholar8200:
You accuse me of assumptions but thank GOD you cannot deny the antecedence of the principles being referred to. Besides, there were a number of practices that are no longer in use today!

Therefore, it will be anachronistic to analyse these genealogies with the eyes of today's principles! The principle below is no longer in practise today:
Genesis 3:7,8

7 And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord; and the Lord slew him.

8 And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.
Also:
Deuterenomy 25:5,6

Per vs 8, the child (if he had been born) will be named in Er and Onan's genealogy as the son of both men for genealogical and inheritance purposes! (This practise is key to understanding issues like Salathiel and Zerrubabel in Luke and Matthew's genealogy etc)

Another example is Obed the son of Boaz; Obed the son of Elimelech:
Ruth 4:5-10
5 Then Boaz said, “When you acquire the field from Naomi, you must also acquire Ruth the Moabite, the wife of our deceased relative, in order to [size=14pt]preserve his family name by raising up a descendant who will inherit his property[/size].
6 The guardian said, “Then I am unable to redeem it, for I would ruin my own inheritance in that case. You may exercise my redemption option, for I am unable to redeem it.”
7 (Now this used to be the customary way to finalize a transaction involving redemption in Israel: A man would remove his sandal and give it to the other party. This was a legally binding act in Israel.)
8 So the guardian said to Boaz, “You may acquire it,” and he removed his sandal.
9 Then Boaz said to the leaders and all the people, “You are witnesses today that I have acquired from Naomi all that belonged to Elimelech, Kilion, and Mahlon.
10 I have also acquired Ruth the Moabite, the wife of Mahlon, as my wife to [size=14pt]raise up a descendant who will inherit his property so the name of the deceased might not disappear from among his relatives[/size] and from his village. You are witnesses today.”

[size=13pt]Meaning Obed's name will appear in both Boaz and Elimelech's genealogies and the reason is crystal clear. Furthermore, if we were to trace Naomi's genealogy, Elimelech will appear in her place and next will be Mahlon and Chilion and then Obed! People today will rejoice at the 'contradiction' but rather they will be expressing there ignorance of peculiarities of that epoch![/size] Note that unlike the first example, the person, Boaz was not a blood brother but a relative from the same tribe.

Having established that principle, I wont be wrong if I say that the same thing accounts for Salathiel and Zerrubabel. If you call this an unfounded assumption too, give us your reasons based on principles from the same epoch

Lots of assumptions and argument from silence in here, but I'll accept the explanation as plausible and cogent.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:35pm On Aug 04, 2015
dalaman:

We have shown better understanding of the bible much more than you can ever show. Why is there two different genealogy of Jesus in Matthew and in Luke? Can you simply answer it without obfuscation and prevarication?

who is "we" ? ... gatiano already answered it with a link to a thread ... by the way , why do you care ? will it make you a Christian ? You atheists worry so much about these things . You dont believe in something , yet you worry so much grin . Troubled minds smiley

"We have shown better understanding of the bible much more than you can ever show" - you make me laugh , babies

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by joe4christ(m): 9:37pm On Aug 07, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

who is "we" ? ... gatiano already answered it with a link to a thread ... by the way , why do you care ? will it make you a Christian ? You atheists worry so much about these things . You dont believe in something , yet you worry so much grin . Troubled minds smiley

"We have shown better understanding of the bible much more than you can ever show" - you make me laugh , babies

The bolded. Whatever it is that triggers your emotion that makes you feel like preaching to an unbeliever cos you see them as lost souls is the same reason why atheists are concern about religious matters, cos they once hold dear to this belief/faith one time in their lives, majority of them are even more knowledgeable about the bible than you are, but being in the position they are today, they see you religionists as blind, deluded and shallow minded ignoramus - which ignites the "Holy Anger" in them to rise against every doctrines you hold dear to, and help you see that you're been indoctrinated and suffering from mental slavery as only you can set yourself free.

I hope I'm communicating at all!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:43pm On Aug 07, 2015
joe4christ:

The bolded. Whatever it is that triggers your emotion that makes you feel like preaching to an unbeliever cos you see them as lost souls is the same reason why atheists are concern about religious matters, cos they once hold dear to this belief/faith one time in their lives, majority of them are even more knowledgeable about the bible than you are, but being in the position they are today, they see you religionists as blind, deluded and shallow minded ignoramus - which ignites the "Holy Anger" in them to rise against every doctrines you hold dear to, and help you see that you're been indoctrinated and suffering from mental slavery as only you can set yourself free.

I hope I'm communicating at all!

Mark 16:15 :

15 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

We are following a directive ... no no more like an order ...

So what directive or order are you atheists following ?

joe4christ ? An atheist ? Isn't that satirical ?
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by joe4christ(m): 8:25am On Aug 08, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Mark 16:15 :

We are following a directive ... no no more like an order ...

So what directive or order are you atheists following ?

joe4christ ? An atheist ? Isn't that satirical ?

I'll answer your question using an illustration;

Once upon a time, there live two brothers who happen to be identical twins, they were born and brought up among their people for 30yrs and grew up to believe they are the only living beings and nothing else exist outside their village cos they were never told about the outside world neither were they allowed to venture outside their village cos the tenet of that village forbids it.
But one day, one of the twin brother who happen to be a great thinker and adventurous got so many unanswered questions that seems not available withen the constrain of their village and so he decided to do the "Abominable" he decided to venture out of their village and thereby brake the tenets of their people, and he was told "If you go ahead with your Journey, you're forever banished from our land and the gods will forever cast you into everlasting torment in hell when you die and go to the land of the dead"
But he didn't allow that to deter him, he was courageous, he decided he will risk all for knowledge, he ventured out without his twin brother, cos his twin brother unlike him wasn't courageous.
An hundred miles away from his village he was shocked to discover another village, far advanced and well coordinated that his village, after staying with them for a while, he was told in this new village that their are cities out there with lots of unimaginable developments they believe he might not have seen considering his shock by merely sighting their own development which is primitive to that of the cities.
And so, that made he to embark on another journey to the city, after about hundreds of miles away from this village, he ended up in New York city, he was astonished at the development and could not believe his eyes, he was like; "I can't believe this, so for all these years I've been fed with lies by my elders that there is no other live outside my primitive society of a village, but see here is paradise" but on a second thought, he realized that even his elders who indoctrinated him and his people were also indoctrinated by their own elders and so it goes for generations upon generations. And so he realized that his people including his elders are in bondage, he felt great pity for them cos he realised they are wallowing in ignorance. And so, he decided to go back to his people to try to convince them that there is life outside their primitive setting, a much better advanced life out there, but when he got back to his village after 5yrs, by this time he was completely changed, advanced, and enlightened, he told his people of the possibilities out there, and pleaded with them to let him show them what is out there for the betterment of his people. Despite the evidence on him, his dress sense, his impeccable speech, his smell (Perfumed) and his car (Venza) it was indeed admirable, even his elders deep down admire what they saw, but they decided they will hold dear to the belief passed to them by their ancestors till death, and so are going no where, and whoever joined him will likewise be banished along with him, and so among all the villagers, only three people were courageous enough to join him excluding his twin brother. He was so disappointed, and so he left with those three individuals, years later they came back better, all with the desire to try convince their people, but instead they were chased away and warned never to step their feet on that land...

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by joe4christ(m): 9:54am On Aug 08, 2015
From my illustration above, you will agree with me that despite the evidence staring them in the eyes they still chosed to hold on to the doctrines passed on to them by their ancestors, they choose to remain in their "perceived" comfort zone, they prefer to die in this zone rather than venture out to see wider perspectives and possibilities, and they still see those who venture out of their constrain and thereby breaking the tenet of the land as cursed, and destined to roast in hades (Hell) forever, which they see as pitiable, when infact they are actually the ones to be pitied...

I believe I do not need to explain what each of the characters from my illustrations depict, cos I'm of the belief that we are intelligent enough to decipher simple logical illustration as this.
And so, it plays out on our everyday lives, so, do you now see why atheists and unbelievers see it as an obligation to try deliver you religious folks from your ignorance, if you still don't get it, maybe you'll need to re-read my illustration over again.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:23am On Aug 08, 2015
joe4christ:

I'll answer your question using an illustration;

Once upon a time, there live two brothers who happen to be identical twins, they were born and brought up among their people for 30yrs and grew up to believe they are the only living beings and nothing else exist outside their village cos they were never told about the outside world neither were they allowed to venture outside their village cos the tenet of that village forbids it.
But one day, one of the twin brother who happen to be a great thinker and adventurous got so many unanswered questions that seems not available withen the constrain of their village and so he decided to do the "Abominable" he decided to venture out of their village and thereby brake the tenets of their people, and he was told "If you go ahead with your Journey, you're forever banished from our land and the gods will forever cast you into everlasting torment in hell when you die and go to the land of the dead"
But he didn't allow that to deter him, he was courageous, he decided he will risk all for knowledge, he ventured out without his twin brother, cos his twin brother unlike him wasn't courageous.
An hundred miles away from his village he was shocked to discover another village, far advanced and well coordinated that his village, after staying with them for a while, he was told in this new village that their are cities out there with lots of unimaginable developments they believe he might not have seen considering his shock by merely sighting their own development which is primitive to that of the cities.
And so, that made he to embark on another journey to the city, after about hundreds of miles away from this village, he ended up in New York city, he was astonished at the development and could not believe his eyes, he was like; "I can't believe this, so for all these years I've been fed with lies by my elders that there is no other live outside my primitive society of a village, but see here is paradise" but on a second thought, he realized that even his elders who indoctrinated him and his people were also indoctrinated by their own elders and so it goes for generations upon generations. And so he realized that his people including his elders are in bondage, he felt great pity for them cos he realised they are wallowing in ignorance. And so, he decided to go back to his people to try to convince them that there is life outside their primitive setting, a much better advanced life out there, but when he got back to his village after 5yrs, by this time he was completely changed, advanced, and enlightened, he told his people of the possibilities out there, and pleaded with them to let him show them what is out there for the betterment of his people. Despite the evidence on him, his dress sense, his impeccable speech, his smell (Perfumed) and his car (Venza) it was indeed admirable, even his elders deep down admire what they saw, but they decided they will hold dear to the belief passed to them by their ancestors till death, and so are going no where, and whoever joined him will likewise be banished along with him, and so among all the villagers, only three people were courageous enough to join him excluding his twin brother. He was so disappointed, and so he left with those three individuals, years later they came back better, all with the desire to try convince their people, but instead they were chased away and warned never to step their feet on that land...

This is what happens when someone fails to understand the role of religion and science in life

Religion is seen as backwardness , barbarism , an agent of the dark ages while science is seen as advancement , enlightenment and an agent of modern age

Religion basically is the worship of a supreme being or superhuman (in some cases )
Science basically is the study of nature

Why relate these two ... do you want me to overwhelm you with examples of the use of science in the bible ?
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by joe4christ(m): 12:00pm On Aug 08, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

This is what happens when someone fails to understand the role of religion and science in life

Religion is seen as backwardness , barbarism , an agent of the dark ages while science is seen as advancement , enlightenment and an agent of modern age

Religion basically is the worship of a supreme being or superhuman (in some cases )

Why relate these two ... do you want me to overwhelm you with examples of the use of science in the bible ?

Bring it on, and let's clear this sh*t once and for all.

You know, I had to admit, it's either you have a low IQ which deter you from seeing beyond your nose, or you deliberately chosed to be dumb and irrational due to fear - No pun intended, just stating the obvious...
Anyways, I'm waiting for you!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Aug 08, 2015
fabrication, simple and short.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by dalaman: 12:12pm On Aug 08, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

What we don't know is God but what we know is science. Religion dwells on fiction and mythology while science tries to explain reality as it is.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:57pm On Aug 08, 2015
dalaman:

What we don't know is God but what we know is science. Religion dwells on fiction and mythology while science tries to explain reality as it is.

Mythology and fiction are not necessarily part of religion . Different tribes even in Nigeria have different stories for the genesis of life , do these stories have anything to do with their religion ?
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:02pm On Aug 08, 2015
joe4christ:

Bring it on, and let's clear this sh*t once and for all.

You know, I had to admit, it's either you have a low IQ which deter you from seeing beyond your nose, or you deliberately chosed to be dumb and irrational due to fear - No pun intended, just stating the obvious...
Anyways, I'm waiting for you!

Fear of what ? Someone has obviously been brainwashed . grin

Bring it on ? Someone wants to be utterly embarrassed here ... its obvious you only read the first page of the bible - no not genesis- the page where you have to write your name and maybe address ... lwkmd !!!
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:12pm On Aug 08, 2015
@joe4christ : But honestly , I get it , most Religions hold you back but Christianity pushes you forward by force ! Before I disgrace you , a quick look at these :

2 Timothy 2:15 a :

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God..."

Hosea 4:6

6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me
Job 36:12

12 But if they do not listen, they perish by the sword and die without knowledge.

Proverbs 4:7

7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

The study of science is an advancement in knowledge and the deep experience of life builds you - wisdom !
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by dalaman: 6:35pm On Aug 08, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Mythology and fiction are not necessarily part of religion . Different tribes even in Nigeria have different stories for the genesis of life , do these stories have anything to do with their religion ?

The story of creation in the bible, koran, Hindu Verdes, Sumerian reigious scriptures ,Yoruba traditional religion etc are all fictitious.
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:37pm On Aug 08, 2015
dalaman:

The story of creation in the bible, koran, Hindu Verdes, Sumerian reigious scriptures ,Yoruba traditional religion etc are all fictitious.

Its your opinion
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:40pm On Aug 08, 2015
@ dalaman - so what about stories of cavemen and aliens coming to earth to engineer our DNA ? Aren't they fictitious too?
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by dalaman: 8:12pm On Aug 08, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:
@ dalaman - so what about stories of cavemen and aliens coming to earth to engineer our DNA ? Aren't they fictitious too?

Sure they are.
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:16pm On Aug 08, 2015
dalaman:

Sure they are.

so we are safe to say that there is no such thing as macro -evolution ?
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by dalaman: 8:27pm On Aug 08, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

so we are safe to say that there is no such thing as macro -evolution ?

I don't believe in macro evolution.
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:32pm On Aug 08, 2015
dalaman:

I don't believe in macro evolution.

any explanation for fossils , then ?
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by dalaman: 8:32pm On Aug 08, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Its your opinion

You can't show that they are factual.
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by dalaman: 8:33pm On Aug 08, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

any explanation for fossils , then ?

Not convincing enough for me.
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:37pm On Aug 08, 2015
dalaman:

You can't show that they are factual.

ribs regenerate though
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:39pm On Aug 08, 2015
dalaman:

Not convincing enough for me.

But its science's explanation for the existence of the modern man (physical , habitual , and intellect ) . I thought you were a science guy ?
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by mustymatic(m): 9:03pm On Aug 08, 2015
chiedu7:
Funny has anybody noticed that nobody bothered to keep the genealogy of Mohammed?

For them to keep Jesus's human lineage shows that many many prophets recognise Jesus as important.
Read! He has
And how does this justify the op cry
It's a contradiction
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by dalaman: 7:14am On Aug 09, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

But its science's explanation for the existence of the modern man (physical , habitual , and intellect ) . I thought you were a science guy ?

Origin science is what I do not agree with completely. Macro evolution as explained is not so convincing to me.
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by dalaman: 7:18am On Aug 09, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

ribs regenerate though

Ribs regenerate, so? Ribs of mammals, not humans alone regenerate. I see no connection between this and the biblical story of creation. Where in the bible creation story does it say that God created people with the ability of their ribs to regenerate.
Re: Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? by orisa37: 7:56am On Aug 09, 2015
Jesus D Christ, The Righteous, is the only Issue, Issve in all the story. Obey His Instructions and you will make eternity in styles. Prayer is the Key!!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help Me In Prayers As I Sit For Yet Anoder Jamb Tomarrow! / Celebrating The Birthday Of Apostle Joshua Selman As He Turns 39. / If God Is A Spirit Then Who Created Spirits?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.