Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

More Avian Flu Outbreaks Found In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / More Avian Flu Outbreaks Found In Nigeria (664 Views)

How Do I Know A Chicken Is Infected With Bird Flu / New H5nx Bird Flu Vaccine Potential For Mass Protection Of Poultry / Avian Flu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Avian Flu Outbreaks Found In Nigeria by VetDoc: 2:50pm On Aug 01, 2015
Poultry Farmers, please let's watch out and embrace aggressive biosecurity. I was at Katsina last month to render some veterinary consultancy services. The farmers were lamenting the outbreak of this highly pathogenic Avian influenza which has been responsible for the mortality of several thousands of birds.
Now, the disease is fast spreading cutting across several state borders. Here is a recent report from Poultry site.Com:

Fri, 31 Jul 2015

NIGERIA - Four more outbreaks of highly pathogenic avian influenza have been reported in Nigeria.

The outbreaks were of the H5N1 strain.

In total, 3879 birds were infected out of a susceptible population of 6747.

Most of the birds, 3417, died from the disease, but another 2089 were destroyed to prevent further spread.

The outbreaks occurred on three farms and one backyard holding. Two of the affected farms had point of lay birds that had been purchased from an infected state and transported to a non-infected area.

The third farm held layers, cockerels and pullets of around one year old, and the backyard operation held 178 one-year-old layers.

The outbreaks occurred in Abia, Enugu and Lagos.

http://m.thepoultrysite.com/news/35531
Re: More Avian Flu Outbreaks Found In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:51pm On Aug 01, 2015
Heaven help us
Re: More Avian Flu Outbreaks Found In Nigeria by Eeser: 2:52pm On Aug 01, 2015
Avian flu again
Re: More Avian Flu Outbreaks Found In Nigeria by VetDoc: 2:55pm On Aug 01, 2015
Eeser:
Avian flu again

Yes o. A farm in katsina lost over 100,000 birds. For biosecurity reasons, I avoided visiting any poultry farm because I could be a means of infection/carrier to other outside the state
Re: More Avian Flu Outbreaks Found In Nigeria by nnachukz(m): 2:56pm On Aug 01, 2015
Are you serious? Yet Fg has not deemed it fit to sensitise us on this.
Re: More Avian Flu Outbreaks Found In Nigeria by VetDoc: 3:42pm On Aug 01, 2015
nnachukz:
Are you serious? Yet Fg has not deemed it fit to sensitise us on this.

Well, I can't say much on that for now. I hope the information gets to the Federal livestock department asap
Re: More Avian Flu Outbreaks Found In Nigeria by nnachukz(m): 5:09pm On Aug 01, 2015
VetDoc:

Well, I can't say much on that for now. I hope the information gets to the Federal livestock department asap
OK. I hope so as well.

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Farmland In BENIN CITY 100x200 For Lease / I Can Supply You Rice From Anambra / Advice Please.. Want To Go Into Farming With 1million Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.