Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,380 members, 7,812,108 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:25 AM

Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< - Technology Market (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< (1220006 Views)

Buying Itunes and Amazon @ Good rates / Attractive Dollar Exchange Rates For Online Shoppers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (907) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by deennest: 9:09am On Sep 10, 2015
Caxxandra:
FirstBank rate today: N213 for $1 Probably Stanbic should reduce to N208 or below

please someone help confirm this

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by Carmal90(m): 9:34am On Sep 10, 2015
989900:

Corrrrrrrrect!!!!

It's good I'm not alone on this; I've been complaining about their rates since 2012, and more especially since late last year.

Your mail to them is so comprehensive and on point.

If many more will do same . . .

And yes I support we take this campaign further like you rightly suggested . . . FB, twitter . . .

Even if they have more dollar demands to meet up with than say Stanbic for example, do they get their dollars from the CBN at a higher rate than Stanbic? I still don't get the excuse for the anomaly.

And when you ask them, they reply you with their generic "yada yada yada".

Banks in Nigeria post insane profits for doing a disservice to their customers. #onlyin9ja

The CBN and FG guarantees they make insane immoral profits without giving a damn about their clients. You can't get jack from them, even when you do, it's at 'cut throat . . . I guess that should probably reduce soon.

They, with the FG and CBN, create excess liquidity which accounts for a large chunk of the devaluation of the Naira.

My guy, though the amount they withold in my case is less than 2k, i still bombard them with mails and frequent dm on twitter,got d first refund on monday and gtbank correct their anomaly on wednesday..barely 48 hrs

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by Youngzedd(m): 10:10am On Sep 10, 2015
Caxxandra:
FirstBank rate today: N213 for $1
Probably Stanbic should reduce to N208 or below

shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by Chartey(m): 10:51am On Sep 10, 2015
Diamond bank still dey tell me conversion rate of 13%. See the callousness! For 3 weeks we've been going back and forth. I think I need to take this to twitter full-time
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by DavisBloom(m): 11:26am On Sep 10, 2015
Caxxandra:
N212 - $1 ---- 9/10/2015
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by persius555(m): 11:30am On Sep 10, 2015
@carmal90, nice write up. Everyone should follow suit. The proof is all over the place for everyone to see.

2 Likes

Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by warrenweste(m): 11:54am On Sep 10, 2015
DavisBloom:

N212 - $1 ---- 9/10/2015

whch bank?
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by bukahands(m): 12:32pm On Sep 10, 2015
Carmal90:

Sorry dude, just got out from this type of mess with them ysterday,they charged @225 and refunded @199 until i mailed them and copy cbn..
I would like to join your numerous customers to register my displeasure at your exploitative tendencies with regards to your foreign exchange rates (with particular reference to Naira Mastercard online transactions exchange rate). It is bad enough that you charge 226 naira to the dollar but to charge 199 naira to the dollar when crediting the same account (for instance when there is a reversal or refund for the same transaction) is, to say the least, wicked and down right exploitative.
This practice has been going on for quite a long time but I must complain officially now. Recently, I made an online transaction and paid via Paypal using my Mastercard debit card. I was charged nearly 226 naira to a dollar. A couple of days later, the transaction was cancelled and a refund issued. I was refunded at 199 naira to the dollar. Now lets us assume I make a transaction of $1000 and you debit my account at 225 naira then later the transaction was cancelled and refunded. Then you credit my account at 199 naira to the dollar. That means I would have lost 26,000 naira! Multiply that by, let's say, 100 of such a scenario.
The truth is that many Nigerian banks are defrauding customers via online foreign exchange transactions and it's high time CBN looked into the anomaly. I am copying this email to them to join the countless others they most have received on this matter.
I and many other concerned bank customers have initiated an online campaign to bring this anomaly to the public while hoping that CBN takes necessary actions to halt the trend. We have started on a small scale on Nairaland.com and will start a Facebook and Twitter campaign very soon. I read in the dailies that GTB posted an H1 PBT of 63 billion naira and I could not help but laugh and feel sad at the same time because it is sharp practices like the one I am writing about that translates to profit for banks. At the detriment of customers.
I hope CBN does something about this because, knowing GTB, you will give reasons for charging different rates for buying and selling foreign exchange. The usual excuses. But you should know that Mastercard is the same all over the world. And I do not think they charge different rates for different banks in Nigeria otherwise, why would a bank like Stanbic IBTC charge the lowest dollar rate among Nigerian banks (using the same Mastercard Naira Debit card) and refund at the same rate they debited the card?
Thank you.
But you have to edit it to ur taste
Nb.also copy this mail from this thread ohhh
cpd@ cbn.gov.ng
cardservices@ gtbank.com
cardsupport@ gtbank.com

Thanks bro, COPIED EDITED AND SENT

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by mavinc4u(f): 12:55pm On Sep 10, 2015
Caxxandra:

are you sure about this? please which of their cards?
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by yemi2plus(m): 12:55pm On Sep 10, 2015
FirstBank Visa Prepaid Card

$1/218.59198 --- 10-09-15 11:18AM
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by mavinc4u(f): 12:57pm On Sep 10, 2015
yemi2plus:
FirstBank Visa Prepaid Card

$1/218.59198 --- 10-09-15 11:18AM

guy, has it reflected on your statement, if not then that is not their charge because they would deduct again.

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by sherif4owo(m): 12:59pm On Sep 10, 2015
bukahands:

copied, edited and sent.. see my mail and their reply below;

I would like to join your numerous customers to register my displeasure at your exploitative tendencies with regards to your foreign exchange rates (with particular reference to Naira Mastercard online transactions exchange rate). It is bad that you charge 212 naira to a dollar but to charge 199 naira to a dollar when crediting the same account (for instance when there is a reversal or refund for the same transaction).

I made payment @ 212 naira per dollar ....... and got refund @ 199 naira per dollar on ...... . Another transaction at the same rate occurred on .... and refunded @ 199 naira per dollar on .....

I and many other concerned bank customers have initiated an online campaign to bring this anomaly to the public while hoping that CBN takes necessary actions to halt the trend. We have started on a small scale on Nairaland.com and will start a Facebook and Twitter campaign very soon.

Also I want to know why GTB (other banks too) charges a rate that's different from CBN rate which is not even regular from bank to bank in Nigeria which Stanbic IBTC is the best in this regards for the same Naira MasterCard.

I hope the information provided above will be enough to correct all the misappropriation in the crediting and debiting all customers account .....shorten... of our Naira Mastercard online transactions exchange rate.

I await your positive response to this soon.

Thanks.

their reply;

Thank you for contacting Guaranty Trust Bank's Card Services.
Your mail below has been received and we sincerely empathize with you on any inconvenience you may have experienced.

First, we like to assure you that the refund difference will be credited back toyour account unfailingly by close of business today.

Further, the referenced transactions were charged at the prevailinge exchangerate applied to international card transactions at the particular time.

The rate simply reflects the current situation in the FX market and the increasing challenges that the bank is facing in sourcing Foreign currencies for the settlement of card transactions.

As we always strive to stay competitive in the industry whilst we offer value adding services to our cardholders, kindly note that  we are working on reviewing the rate as soon as the current pressure abates.

Thank you for choosing for choosing Guaranty Trust Bank.

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by Yungstev007(m): 1:23pm On Sep 10, 2015
UBA exchange rate?
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by bukahands(m): 1:54pm On Sep 10, 2015
sherif4owo:

copied, edited and sent.. see my mail and their reply below;

their reply;

NICE !!!
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by legalwealth(m): 4:07pm On Sep 10, 2015
mavinc4u:

guy, has it reflected on your statement, if not then that is not their charge because they would deduct again.

The expert has spoken! !!
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by Futurewiser: 6:15pm On Sep 10, 2015
what is the current euro rate and which bank has the cheapest rate for euro?
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by Fogman(m): 6:28pm On Sep 10, 2015
Interested in current € rate
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by gowaga68: 7:05pm On Sep 10, 2015
€ rate pls.
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by jerrygome: 7:17pm On Sep 10, 2015
Caxxandra:

The problem is consistency, first Bank may charge you 213 today and charge 231 next transaction grin
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by bukahands(m): 9:03pm On Sep 10, 2015
My money has been refunded !!!
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by wildchild1: 9:40pm On Sep 10, 2015
bukahands:
My money has been refunded !!!

Alleluhiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa grin

The fear of CBN grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by princetom1(m): 11:28pm On Sep 10, 2015
Had a similar issue with UBA last month. Am gonna copy and send tomorrow. Mine was actually bad, i was charged at 253 and refunded at 199. Its time for war undecided

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by funken: 3:11am On Sep 11, 2015
princetom1:
Had a similar issue with UBA last month. Am gonna copy and send tomorrow. Mine was actually bad, i was charged at 253 and refunded at 199. Its time for war undecided

Same here with the same bank but I was refunded. Didn't have to write CBN because I called the CC and threatened to take it official. They begged and said they will reverse within 24hrs and it was done. Call the CC and make sure you armed with it facts and figures!! They will refund u fully!
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by gbodimowo(m): 3:13am On Sep 11, 2015
bukahands:

this is what we are talking about
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by gbodimowo(m): 3:29am On Sep 11, 2015
princetom1:
Had a similar issue with UBA last month. Am gonna copy and send tomorrow. Mine was actually bad, i was charged at 25
3 and refunded at 199. Its time for war undecided

who u offend guy?

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by tonjeola(m): 5:00am On Sep 11, 2015
gbodimowo:

who u offend guy?
shocked grin shocked grin
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by 989900: 9:09am On Sep 11, 2015
Pls. How much is $ GTB ? And $ Black market (buying and selling)?
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by modath(f): 10:40am On Sep 11, 2015
989900:
Pls. How much is $ GTB ? And $ Black market (buying and selling)?

Don't know about GTB but for BM.

http://abokifx.com/
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by bonaparte: 11:40am On Sep 11, 2015
Please who knows about Diamond Bank's dollar rate?
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by bukahands(m): 11:43am On Sep 11, 2015
is Money gram doing the same $!000 every 3 months, and how is their rates compared to western union ?

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by 989900: 12:37pm On Sep 11, 2015
modath:

Don't know about GTB but for BM.

http://abokifx.com/

Thanks.
Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by persius555(m): 12:42pm On Sep 11, 2015
Nigerian banks and sharp practice. They take us for granted knowing they ccan easily get away with it. They dare not try this in poorer economies like burkina faso because their system protects their citizen.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (907) (Reply)

This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper / The Xiaomi Thread Store / California(Los Angeles),pickup services..Online purchase..(Ebay/Amazon,walmart)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.