Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:53 PM

Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer (5015 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by jetsetgo: 10:05am On Aug 02, 2015
I remember my first day in University vividly. I was supposed to be a medical student; serious, read everything I see in the university including signboards and logos on pure water and coke bottle or I will fail medicine, but I could not help but notice all the fine fine girls I saw especially Juliet, Chai! Juliet was finer than a bowl of ice cream on a very hot tuesday - back to the story before I digress.
Medicine was easy - I can also still remember the comma shaped mass at the junction between the anterior vena carva and the right atrium, the osteologies and myologies and garries... in short everything -ies. I never got a GPA of less than 4.7 after my first 2 years until ONE FATEFUL DAY - funny I can't remember the day.
My best friends elder brother gave me a hard disk with about 22gb of Videos from CBT Nuggets containing numerous videos from:
- ccie
- Java
- C# then .net framework 2+ i think
- citrix
- comptia
and other technologies too numerous to mention......... Anyway, after that day and after spending 4 years in the university I QUIT AND WENT HOME. I had found what I had been looking for since flip phones were in vogue.

Came home and told my parents I wanted to read software engineering and THEY DISOWNED ME IMMEDIATELY, NO QUESTIONS ASKED KICKED ME OUT OF THE HOUSE.
To be continued......

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by idu1(m): 11:53am On Aug 02, 2015
Me following....

Kontinue....
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by jetsetgo: 11:34am On Aug 03, 2015
So I stood on the street just outside my former home, there I were, just standing, with no home, no family no body all, Instant Hobo!!! because I refused to be looking inside all manner of orifices(holes) mouth, ear, nose, openings etc; Na Joke O! Before 1 Doctor comes and insults my whole village for making light of his profession. That he spent 17 years to graduate from because of ASUU.
I knew I was disowned because of all the 'SCHOOL FEES' and 'ALLOWANCES' and 'my son is a doctor -> BRAGGING RIGHTS' I just flushed down the toilet.
Chaaaii!!! Those were the longest 5 mins of my life, Over 1 million questions in my head:
Should I go back and beg My Parents?
Am I not cursed from the village? Who abandons everything like that?
Will I be able to do apprentice for the Generator Guy Down the road? (I was considering this.)
If I can't become a software engineer why did I quit medicine?
What will I eat? sleep?
ONE thing was clear - I needed legal tender a.k.a 'Money'. But some people call him 'kudi'. (Or 'her' make them NFA no come call me chauvinistic maniac. Oversabi's)

But How? Painful thing was it was not in the morning I was disowned, and I kept hearing one voice like the one of 'GAME OF THRONES' in my head saying 'Night Is Coming!'

FCT Abuja. No family again, Friends sef I did not have any in Abuja 'that could house my bag talkless of me'. Where will I get money from? Where will I get money? Where will I get money? then I heard the voice again this time with a Nigerian accent 'Night is Coming O!'
Saliva finish for my body, my brain enter OD(overdrive) and my question change -> to How will i get money?
Night is coming! How will I get money?
To be continued...

NB: NFA = Nairaland Feminists Association.
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by Donald3d(m): 11:58am On Aug 03, 2015
following
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by Nobody: 12:06pm On Aug 03, 2015
following
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by Netanda(m): 12:17pm On Aug 03, 2015
Following
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 03, 2015
*sneaks in*
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by firstclazz34(m): 3:26pm On Aug 03, 2015
following with rapt attention and i hope it better be a sweet story, i no wan follow had i known
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by omoelu1(m): 11:49pm On Aug 03, 2015
taaaaaallk!!!! I am listening...
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by Borwe: 2:19pm On Aug 04, 2015
Story ends with you as Boll Gates? grin grin grin
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by Nobody: 5:44pm On Aug 04, 2015
story for the gods
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by jetsetgo: 9:39am On Oct 16, 2015
Sorry! Due to an untimely tragedy I could not continue on schedule. I will however finish this over the course of as few posts as possible.
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by jetsetgo: 10:05am On Oct 16, 2015
And So I started trekking with no direction or destination in my head. I just started walking and before you knew it I was at a bus-stop/park. Sat down next to a boy selling Viju Milk and I instantly turned to philosopher and started looking at people as they highlighted from different buses and wondering if all was chaotic in their lives and if they knew what tomorrow held for them.
Night came and I was on that bench head in my hands when a driver walked up to me and asked If I was okay and why I was sitting there at that time, I told him I was fine. And then a strange thing happened he offered for me to keep my bag in his boot to prevent the ogas of the night from identifying me as prey and said I could sleep in the backseat of his bus. I sat there and fought PRIDE and FEAR for all of 30mins before taking up the offer of a home in a bus park for the night.
NEXT DAY: My benefactor (the Driver) told me he was headed towards Wuse to pick his conductor and would drop me anywhere along that axis for free, And then I remembered my predicament. How Will I get Money?

What did I have that could fetch me money?
1. Bag of clothes
2. Phone

The answer was clear as day... I had to sell my phone! And as Fate would have it my new landlord was heading to Wuse Market.

That sounded a good a plan as any...
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 16, 2015
A prodigy story .
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by jamb20s: 3:10pm On Oct 18, 2015
following
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by jamb20s: 3:11pm On Oct 18, 2015
following...............
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by Nobody: 11:20pm On Oct 18, 2015
Arrant nonsense! I meant continue the great story jor! thought you have run away to sambisa forest!! (been following since August 3)
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by jetsetgo: 11:48pm On Oct 18, 2015
So I got to the market and sat near my Akwa Ibom sisters (food sellers) far away from my Igbo brothers (Phone Sellers) so they won't come and meet me waiting for them as to exploit me.
Couple of hours later I left the market with a torchlight Nokia phone and N22,500.

Okay ex-doctor in training turned mathematician (Practice on aspects of my new profession) started doing mental mathematics on the current situation: "I want to read software engineering" + I had no house or roof over my head + N22,500 = Suicide.

Before someone will ask did I kill myself. I did not... But I felt worse with the 22.5 in my hand than I did without any money or direction.
You see now I had small money but felt powerless because spending it was synonymous to walking towards the motor park again, so I had a brilliant Idea, I would look for an uncompleted building and squat there for a few nights, I found one easily; took permission from the baba in charge (1,000) and bought some sleeping materials for 3,000 and that is how I found a new home with very little effort.

The First night was horrible, damp, noisy, mosquitoes, cold.... I FELT USELESS WITH MYSELF. However, The second Night?
The Second Night Was so bad it made the first night look like a new-year party.
WHY?
My Landlord/Gateman/Caretaker of the property disappeared like a ship in Nigeria. And about 5-6 boys with all maner of knives and barb wire (YES AN IDIOT WAS WALKING ABOUT WITH A ROPE OF SPIKES) and something that looked too local to be a gun came to visit me. First thing that came to my head was "I have been used for money ritual".

Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by jetsetgo: 12:04am On Oct 19, 2015
AND TRULY! What was there to stop them from beating me to the shape of a chewing gum, and harvesting my parts for the proverbial dollars. Not that they did not beat me but as I think in retrospect, it was not that bad. However it was Bad enough that I had to go to the hospital the next day; That is where I met Dr. Francesca, May GOD Bless Her Soul.
She asked me what happened and I told her my three day ordeal, she took me to see her husband who gave me a Job in his business center/cyber cafe and accommodation in the gate-man's quarters.

After 8 months of working there Her and Her husband moved back to Australia, and I changed to another Business Center, all the while wasting my time on the foolish programming language called C#. The owner of this business center was an Engineer with an oil company in Uyo, and I agreed to collect only 20% of my salary for 2 years so I can use the 80% being saved to pursue my lofty torn filled journey to becoming a man of software. After 2 years of no complaints or incidence I told my boss of my intention to further my education using my savings. And he wrote me a cheque of N40,000. When I asked him why He said he was broke and When I complained he said I was cheeky and disrespectful and kicked me out.
Second time someone kicked me out because I said I wanted to read Software Engineering.
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by jetsetgo: 12:12am On Oct 19, 2015
dhtml18:
Arrant nonsense!

I still hold you in high esteem. [s]But to call the experiences and travails of someone else nonsense because you can not relate to it is...

This is the only response I will provide to you and any other enantiomers of similar outburst. I have seen too much bullshit to last 3 lifetimes and I don't get perturbed by it. I however can not pass by something that stinks without giving my two cents about the stank[/s].
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by Nobody: 12:52am On Oct 19, 2015
Hahahaha, dont mind me o, i am one of the followers of your great thread. I was just looking for some action on the thread - not meant to upset you. (i was just trollin' as seun use to say). Oya continue the great story jor! this is one of the greatest threads on this board at the moment, and it should really hit frontpage! Maybe one day i shall write my own story too (but i suspect it will be dry and not as interesting as this story)

1 Like

Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by idu1(m): 9:38am On Oct 19, 2015
Keep dropping it.

Am following....
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by Nobody: 2:20pm On Oct 19, 2015
We are all following, really breath-taking!
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by ghettodreamz(m): 11:07pm On Oct 19, 2015
Hmmm..

#foLloWing
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by Nobody: 8:12am On Oct 20, 2015
ghettodreamz:
Hmmm..

#foLloWing
This one is even following in cAmEl CaSe!
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by ghettodreamz(m): 9:56am On Oct 20, 2015
dhtml18:

This one is even following in cAmEl CaSe!

smiley
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by omoelu1(m): 10:10am On Oct 20, 2015
Oya now
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by Nobody: 11:51am On Oct 20, 2015
The dude above me is para-parambulating!!!
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by aurakul: 6:56pm On Oct 20, 2015
I think the op should have just stayed in school and focus on the software program...that way your parents will still be sponsoring me
Ive also felt like stealing some of my dads money and running away to chase my dream....but the question is what if i dont survive outside What if God decides i was at fault and punishes me severely....
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by omoelu1(m): 9:55pm On Oct 20, 2015
dhtml18:
The dude above me is para-parambulating!!!
yes sir jare.
jetsetgo is taking too long for my liking.
*meanwhile, waiting for your story too
Re: Tales Of A Gutsy Programmer by Nobody: 11:54pm On Oct 20, 2015
^^^na why i take vex earlier be that. No interesting thread on the board, it is only this thread that brings me back over and over again.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Whats The Expectant Salary For A Cybersecurity Software Engineer / Software Development Is Now An Oversaturated Field / Laravel Nairaland Corner -- Post Any Laravel Code Issues, Get Solution For FREE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.