Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial (13936 Views)

New Ebola Vaccine Gives 100% Protection Against The Disease — WHO Reports / First New HIV Vaccine Trial Begins In Africa / Nasiru Shua’ibu Develops Malaria Vaccine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by Remilekun101: 9:40am On Aug 03, 2015
shocked
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by hareskay(m): 9:41am On Aug 03, 2015
This is a kind of news I like to hear. Not that of some gullible and greedy politicians embezzling our money OR extremists killing fellow human beings in the name of religion.
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by Nobody: 9:41am On Aug 03, 2015
As usual, Africa waited for America to solve her problem.
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by signz: 9:42am On Aug 03, 2015
Thank God!

But like Oliver Twist, we need more vaccine for all types of Cancers. Initially i thought cancer was a white man disease, but the rate it kills naija people now is frightening.

And ofcourse add that long awaited HIV vaccine. We know its hidden in one secret safe box wink
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by logica(m): 9:43am On Aug 03, 2015
Vaccine, not cure? Meaning you need to have a shot BEFORE contact but not after.
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by islandmoon: 9:43am On Aug 03, 2015
why wont they be the one to have the vaccine, the have released vaccine for the virus they released in the quest to reduce black African population, why the change in agenda?

stop using Africa as site for bio-research!!!

2 Likes

Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 03, 2015
SaiBuharii:
So we can start contacting Ebola?

cheesy

Yes and HiV and CanCer too grin
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by Ybnm4life(m): 9:44am On Aug 03, 2015
This one area in which I will Boldly commend our then former govt in the fight against Ebola because I can remember asking Nigeria asking U.S for the ebola cure, but we were left out in the cold... Thank God we were able to seek internally for how to fight this virus and guess what we won to the extent that the U.S itself had to send its scientist to learn from us how we fought the ebola virus...
I hope this drugs will work and Africa will be rid of this virus.
One Africa, One Nigeria...
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by deflover(m): 9:45am On Aug 03, 2015
another scam to reduce the black race.....soon they will find out it makes the black man impotent.....useless america

3 Likes

Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by Nobody: 9:47am On Aug 03, 2015
I hope those companies did not revive the virus into Africa in the first place.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by oluemmakay(m): 9:47am On Aug 03, 2015
Tonniey:
I am waiting for dat day when solutions to health challenges perculia to africa will b solved my african scientists

You will have to wait for the day that Africans will be the source of their health challenges because these whites are the source of all these diseases, so they should also provide the cure...
Imagine the billion of dollars that will be invested on that vaccine all in the name of saving Africa... We are not monkeys...Its a simple chess game.

3 Likes

Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by lawfabolous: 9:48am On Aug 03, 2015
I see
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by Nobody: 9:48am On Aug 03, 2015
davuvid:
This kinda news is what I wanna keep hearing..
Yeah, good news indeed provided it's not denied after 24 hours.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by anonimi: 9:49am On Aug 03, 2015
Our "superior" pale skinned oyinbo fellow homo sapiens come to the rescue of us, mentally LAZY black people, yet again. embarassed

When shall we wake up from our slumber

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/avatars/rv41j08ykr8a5gwz0epj3gfa761axh97960889[/img]
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by ThisMeansWAR: 9:52am On Aug 03, 2015
thanks to science.. the world is save again..

1 Like

Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by Symphony007: 9:55am On Aug 03, 2015
If in 18 months, the world could find a vaccine for ebola then there is an ulterior motive fir allowing HIV ravage the world for more than 30 years.

3 Likes

Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by 2baga(m): 9:56am On Aug 03, 2015
Demigods:

A man in the Guinean capital Conakry receiving the experimental Ebola vaccine in April.

A highly unusual clinical trial in Guinea has shown for the first time that an Ebola vaccine protects people from the deadly virus. The study, published online today by The Lancet, shows that the injection offered contacts of Ebola cases 100% protection starting 10 days after they received a single shot of the vaccine, which is produced by Merck. Scientists say the vaccine could help to finally bring an end to the epidemic in West Africa, now more than 18 months old.

"This will go down in history as one of those hallmark public health efforts," says Michael Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy in Twin Cities, Minnesota, who wasn't involved in the study. "We will teach about this in public health schools."

"It's a wonderful result and a fantastic illustration of how vaccines can be developed very quickly and can be used in an outbreak situation to control the disease," says Adrian Hill, a vaccine researcher at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom, also not involved in the work.

The vaccine, first developed by researchers at the Public Health Agency of Canada, consists of the Vesicular Stomatitis Virus (VSV), which causes disease in livestock but not people, with the Ebola surface protein stitched into it. It is one of two vaccines currently being tested in the Ebola-stricken countries; the other one is produced by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK). The study of the Merck vaccine was led by Ana Maria Henao-Restrepo of the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva, together with colleagues at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health in Oslo, the Guinean Ministry of Health, and others.

The decision to start the trial was taken in October, but it didn't get off the ground until March. By then, Ebola cases had already begun to plummet, and they were scattered across a large area in Guinea. To show efficacy in a standard randomized controlled trial, the researchers would have had to enroll far more people than was feasible.

Instead, they opted for a design called ring vaccination, in which only contacts of new Ebola patients, as well as the contacts' contacts, were vaccinated. The rings, or clusters, were randomized; in 48 of them, vaccination occurred as soon as possible after the detection of the Ebola case in their community. In the 42 other clusters, the vaccination teams came to give the shots three weeks later. The researchers then counted the number of new Ebola cases in each ring; because they weren't sure how long it takes for the vaccine's protection to kick in, they only included cases that occurred at least 10 days after vaccination in their primary analysis of the data. There were zero such cases among the 2014 people who were vaccinated right away, and 16 among the 2380 who got the shot 3 weeks later. That translates to 100% vaccine efficacy, at least in this study, the researchers write.

The idea of a ring vaccination design, never before used in a formal vaccine study, "was absolutely very creative," says Osterholm, and it allowed the team to follow the epidemic wherever it went. "Had this been a standard, straightforward randomized controlled trial, we would never had this answer.”

"It surprised me how quickly you can intervene with a vaccination and have an effect," says Jeremy Farrar, the head of the Wellcome Trust research charity, which co-funded the study. "It’s possible to do that sort of complex work in very, very complex environments—ethically, socially, culturally and scientifically. You can do it. That is a revelation for many people."

Source: http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2015/07/ebola-vaccine-works-offering-100-protection-african-trial

[size=16pt]Dear Lord!!!! we thank thee[/size]
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by Nobody: 9:57am On Aug 03, 2015
SaiBuharii:

Vaccine is for prevention, not for treatment. Contact Ebola, u r on ur own.
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by oluwanoni: 10:00am On Aug 03, 2015
omenpetrol:
Conspiracy!!!!.....Drop a virus........Act like a Savior........Create a Vaccine.......Make money........the cycle goes on.

Only works in movies.
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 03, 2015
Africa, your white gods've blessed you again. Soon they'd start exporting the malaria vaccine and keep us permanently under mental slavery.

Keep looking to the skies for your endtime while they keep pumping out technologies to maximize human comfort.
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by Mariojane(f): 10:07am On Aug 03, 2015
Remilekun101:
that poster above me is booking space
and you are doing what? you need Jesus
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by Emmanuel602(m): 10:07am On Aug 03, 2015
But is it ethical to use experimental vaccine on humans?
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by emitheo(m): 10:08am On Aug 03, 2015
SaiBuharii:
lol
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by adorable29(f): 10:14am On Aug 03, 2015
psychologist:
The only thing nija doctors are good at is strike strike and strike again tongue]

Lool! I don't blame them actually.

Tell your government to provide the enabling environment, technological infrastructure and research funds plus the appropriate educational facilities as its done in the developed world and am sure they ll do better than their counterparts over there! NEPA alone jeopardises their little research work talkless of a major research.

Meanwhile, you that is a psychologist what major breakthrough have you achieved? Huhn?

Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by greatestboss(m): 10:15am On Aug 03, 2015
psychologist:
The only thing nija doctors are good at is strike strike and strike again tongue

Who told you that its a doctor that invented that vaccine?
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by musicwriter(m): 10:15am On Aug 03, 2015
Tonniey:
I am waiting for dat day when solutions to health challenges perculia to africa will b solved my african scientists

That will not happen until Africa understand the importance of science, how to learn science, and apply it in schools. I'm currently working on how to do just that, and if you know any angel investor let them get in touch with me.

Africa cannot develop without investment in grassroots science.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by tuoyoojo(m): 10:17am On Aug 03, 2015
Hope this one nor be pesticide too o
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by yahmohy27: 10:24am On Aug 03, 2015
This is frangelasticppoc development
Re: Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial by omojeesu(m): 10:25am On Aug 03, 2015
Good news! But ......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Here Is The True Story Of A Man With Two Dicks / LASG Commences Construction Of 1,500-Bed Psychiatric Hospital In Epe (Pictures) / NAFDAC Embarks On 2 Weeks Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.