Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,196 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? (7306 Views)

14yr Old Stepdaughter Likes To Sleep In Our Bed / At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Mar 18, 2009
Do You Think It Advisable For Babies To Sleep In Their Crib Or Beside You?

I've heard that it's better for newborn babies to sleep in their own crib, how true is it?

The fact is, some ppl sleep better next to their parent or on their mother's chest, yet it's not advisable.

Which do you think is better? The crib or on your bed beside you?
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by sistawoman: 10:22pm On Mar 18, 2009
Doctors will tell you to let your baby sleep in the crib.

But practically that is not always the case. The baby gets to crying at night and you are now back at the office so you are working all day and the baby wants to eat at two am it is much easier to get the baby bring them back to bed, put that titty in thier mouth and go back to sleep.

I would nurse my kids in bed while i slept and when the breast got empty; I knew cuz they started moving around beating the breast with thier hands; i would flip them to the other side and go back to sleep. When I would wake in the morning they would be knocked out mouth still on breast and I would be well rested ready for my day.

1 Like

Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Mar 18, 2009
@ topic

Isn't there the risk the mother might press the child?  shocked

But then I think it's good the baby gets used to having mummy far away but at that stage it's pretty early.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by sistawoman: 10:26pm On Mar 18, 2009
michelin89:

@ topic

Isn't there the risk the mother might press the child? shocked

But then I think it's good the baby gets used to having mummy far away but at that stage it's pretty early.

No your motherly insticts wont let that happen.

I nursed 5 babies the same way.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Mar 18, 2009
Sistawoman,

But won't the baby get used to your hand? Isn't that why they always cry when you put them down (apart from wet/dirty diapers and hunger)?
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by sistawoman: 10:32pm On Mar 18, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

Sistawoman,

But won't the baby get used to your hand? Isn't that why they always cry when you put them down (apart from wet/dirty diapers and hunger)?

No i never had that problem with any of them.

I only do it when we are sleeping and when they started sleeping thru the night they went to the crib in a different room not mine.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Sissy3(f): 10:33pm On Mar 18, 2009
no, it is not advisable they should have their own crib in the parents room or in a separate room. it is really cute or nice to have them next to you in the king size bed but there is a higher risk of infant death from suffocation or strangulation most apparently from parents sleeping with their babies. and Other causes include suffocating in soft bedding, becoming wedged between a mattress and frame or wall, or getting a head caught in something.

they should be laid to sleep alone, on a flat mattress, with no loose pillows or blankets and in a crib with bars designed to prevent entrapment. they should be put to sleep on their backs instead of their tummies.

so i don't really think is advisable to sleep with them in the same bed and maybe if one of the parents is a bad sleeper and may accidentally roll over the baby so i wouldn't take that chance.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Mar 18, 2009
Sissy, you made a good point. . . . .key word is RISK.

We have cribs, but my ppl prefer to have their babies sleep next to them. No case of suffocation, but it's quite risky.

Ok, how about letting the baby sleep on your chest? Isn't it supposed to be "good" for thm to hear heartbeats?
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Moyola(f): 10:46pm On Mar 18, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

We have cribs, but my ppl prefer to have their babies sleep next to them. No case of suffocation, but it's quite risky.

Ok, how about letting the baby sleep on your chest? Isn't it supposed to be "good" for thm to hear heartbeats?

Oh!! i did dhat wiv ma 'baby'. . . cool tongue

@ topic
Itz better for babies to sleep in their crib, for d 1st few months @ least!
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Sissy3(f): 10:56pm On Mar 18, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

Ok, how about letting the baby sleep on your chest? Isn't it  supposed to be "good" for thm to hear heartbeats?

yea, my sissometimes allow her baby to sleep on her chest and sometimes the baby wouldnt even want to lie on the crib again, if you lay her on the crib she will start crying so she has to carry her on her chest till she is in a deep sleep then put her on her crib  LOl.

okay back to question, i still think it is a not good idea (at least in my own judgment) cox the baby is lying on her tummy instead of her on back, which is not advisable. but if one chooses to do it i suggest they exercise discretion  when doing it, i think they should maybe avoid doing it more often so the baby dont get use to it.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Mar 18, 2009
~Sissy~:

yea, my sister sometimes allow her baby to sleep on her chest and sometimes the baby wouldnt even want to lie on the crib again, if you lay her on the crib she will start crying so she has to carry her on her chest till she is in a deep sleep then put her on her crib LOl.

[b]okay back to question, i still think it is a not good idea (at least in my own judgment) cox the baby is lying on her tummy instead of her on back, which is not advisable. bu[/b]t if one chooses to do it i suggest they exercise discretion when doing it, i think they should maybe avoid doing it more often so the baby dont get use to it.
Not necessarily on their stomach.

When my siblings were babies, they laid on their back. . . . it's not safe for them to lay on their stomach. The blankets might suffocate them.

I laid all 3 of my siblings on my chest tongue Unfortunately, they got used to it, cries when I put them down undecided tongue

Do you think carrying them all the time interferes with their growth : retards their mechanical movements such as crawling and walking?
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Mar 18, 2009
Moyola:

Oh!! i did dhat wiv ma 'baby'. . . cool tongue

@ topic
Itz better for babies to sleep in their crib, for d 1st few months @ least!
You and Ibk and your imaginations cheesy cheesy

we're not talking about plastic babies here tongue cheesy
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Tgirl4real(f): 11:09pm On Mar 18, 2009
Nice one Sissy. I support u all the way.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Akoronoja(m): 11:13pm On Mar 18, 2009
IS THERE NOTHING TO HIDE?

Mom came to visit her son Okonkwo for dinner. He lives with
a female roommate Ada. During the course of the meal, his
mother couldn't help but notice how pretty Okonkwo's
roommate was. She had long been suspicious of a relationship
between the two, and this had only made her more curious.
Over the course of the evening, while watching the two
interact, she started to wonder if there was more between Okonkwo
and his roommate than met the eye. Reading his mom's thoughts,
Okonkwo volunteered, “I know what you
must be thinking, but I assure you, Ada and I are just roommates."
About a week later, Ada came to Okonkwo saying, "Ever
since your mother came to dinner, I've been unable to
find the small bag of Garri. You don't suppose she took
it, do you?”
“Well, I doubt it, but I'll email her, just to be
sure" said, Okonkwo.

So he sat down and wrote:

Dear Mother,

I'm not saying that you did take the bag of Garri from
my house, and I'm not saying that you did not take it
either.  But the fact remains that it has been missing ever
since you were here for dinner. Do you know what became of
the Garri?
Love,
Okonkwo.

Several days later, Okonkwo received an email from his
Mother, which read:

My dear Son,

I'm not saying that you do sleep with Ada, and I'm
not saying that you do not sleep with her. But the fact
remains that if she had been sleeping on her OWN bed, she
would have found the bag of Garri under her pillow by now.
Do you know where she has been sleeping?

Love,
Mum.

Moral of the Story, Don’t tell lie to an elderly
woman, especially if she is, African!!![/b][/color]
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Sissy3(f): 11:41pm On Mar 18, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

Not necessarily on their stomach.

When my siblings were babies, they laid on their back. . . . it's not safe for them to lay on their stomach. The blankets might suffocate them.

I laid all 3 of my siblings on my chest tongue Unfortunately, they got used to it, cries when I put them down undecided tongue

Do you think carrying them all the time interferes with their growth : retards their mechanical movements such as crawling and walking?

no, i don't think it affects their growth in anyway but i do know if the behavior is continued persistently they may get use to it and when you try to put them down crying and screaming is the next thing on their agenda cox they have gotten used to been carried around.

but no i dont think it affects the growth
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 11:54pm On Mar 18, 2009
Nice one wink
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Treetop20(m): 12:50am On Mar 19, 2009
own crib. i won't want to hurt them
when mummy and I get busy
cool
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 1:03am On Mar 19, 2009
Treetop20:

own crib. i won't want to hurt them
when mummy and I get busy
cool
rotfl cheesy
typical naija men tongue
Whilke baby dey cry at night for milk, dem they moan and groan for mommy's attention too grin grin

1 Like

Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Outstrip(f): 2:25am On Mar 19, 2009
My first born was in his own room at 7 months, number two was in his crib at 5 months and sleeping through the night. I don't think anyway is wrong though there have been cases of mother's rolling over their babies. I slept in a separate room with my first born for about three months. I kind of feel bad for my husband now when I think back but I had complications with that pregnancy so it gave me a lot of anxiety to be away from him. Also with my baby earlier this year he was running a fever and I gave him tylenol. Something told me to let him sleep in our bed that night. He kept jerking for about an hour just one little jerk then about 15 minutes later another. I got scared and called his doctor around 2 am in the morning and she told me to call 911 as it was the beginning of a febrile seizure. His temperature shot up to 104 and tylenol was just not working. Fortunately while I was waiting for the paramedics to get there I gave him ibruprofen and then they got there and hooked up the machne that checks for the amount of oxygen in his blood. I felt so sick. If he had slept in his bed that night I would not have noticed the little jerks that would have definitely led up full seizures. God was looking out for my baby that night. It was very scary. I know people that their children sleep in their beds till they are 4 or 5 and that usually kills their sex life.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Hauwa1: 3:19am On Mar 19, 2009
it is interesting how oyinbo things are sha smiley. my mom slept with all of her babies. no special room for any baby.

wow @ outstrip! true i have heard of such too. i would want to share my bed with my baby. hussy can use the guest room cheesy fear dey o. cheesy

Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 3:28am On Mar 19, 2009
Outstrip:

My first born was in his own room at 7 months, number two was in his crib at 5 months and sleeping through the night. I don't think anyway is wrong though there have been cases of mother's rolling over their babies. I slept in a separate room with my first born for about three months. I kind of feel bad for my husband now when I think back but I had complications with that pregnancy so it gave me a lot of anxiety to be away from him. Also with my baby earlier this year he was running a fever and I gave him tylenol. Something told me to let him sleep in our bed that night. He kept jerking for about an hour just one little jerk then about 15 minutes later another. I got scared and called his doctor around 2 am in the morning and she told me to call 911 as it was the beginning of a febrile seizure. His temperature shot up to 104 and tylenol was just not working. Fortunately while I was waiting for the paramedics to get there I gave him ibruprofen and then they got there and hooked up the machne that checks for the amount of oxygen in his blood. I felt so sick. If he had slept in his bed that night I would not have noticed the little jerks that would have definitely led up full seizures. God was looking out for my baby that night. It was very scary. I know people that their children sleep in their beds till they are 4 or 5 and that usually kills their sex life.
wow, eyah. . . .I know he'll get better wink smiley

@Hauwa
Mines too, all slept with mama until we were atleast 1 tongue

Same for my baby. . . .I fear suffocation, but. . . . and if they wake up and found that they were alone, they'd cry longer during the night
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Hauwa1: 3:39am On Mar 19, 2009
grin grin mama share the bed alone with baby so i think no fear for suffocation. i haven't heard of such till i came here.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by nj11(f): 6:14am On Mar 19, 2009
Mine slept on my chest,later beside me in bed. He is four years old and will not go sleep in his bed room,still sharing bed with me. My advise send them to their room the very first day.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 8:16am On Mar 19, 2009
I think it's best babies sleep in their own cot, from the onset.

Sleeping in bed with mom / parents, there's a risk of them being suffocated.

Also, it's good they get used to being in their own space from the beginning, they become more independent as the get older, and are less likely to cry if their mom / parents aren't in the same room as them.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by homegirl1: 9:41am On Mar 19, 2009
babies should be allowed to sleep in thier own crib in order to get used to it.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by homegirl1: 9:42am On Mar 19, 2009
babies should be allowed to sleep in thier own crib in order to get used to it.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by benedictac(f): 10:05am On Mar 19, 2009
Siena:

I think it's best babies sleep in their own cot, from the onset.

Sleeping in bed with mom / parents, there's a risk of them being suffocated.

Also, it's good they get used to being in their own space from the beginning, they become more independent as the get older, and are less likely to cry if their mom / parents aren't in the same room as them.

I support this opinion but, unless in rear cases maybe when the child is ill then you can make him sleep on the same bed with you so as to monitor him.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by MrCrackles(m): 11:18am On Mar 19, 2009
Topic

Who cares, as long as babies sleep soundly!
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by spikedcylinder: 11:22am On Mar 19, 2009
Once I saw this on the hompage, I knew it musta been related to Morenike. Whats with you and babies sef? tongue
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by UNLEASHED(m): 11:23am On Mar 19, 2009
MrCrackles:

Topic

Who cares, as long as babies sleep soundly!

chikena
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by orisplay(m): 11:44am On Mar 19, 2009
Its a matter of the mind. You could take the risk, just as the whites do. I cant imagine my own child @ 7 months sleeping in his own room. He could face the risk of suffocation, he may have difficulty sleeping or any sort of complications may arise.

My opinion is that a child is better safe with the mother, than sleeping all alone in his own crib. This depends on the age anyways.

Cheers grin
UNLEASHED:

chikena
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 11:51am On Mar 19, 2009
the crib it is!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

F.q1 - What Will You Do If Your Child Is A "yahoo-yahoo" Person? / Can You Parent Another Person's Child? / My Wife Doesn’t Respect Me Since I Lost My Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.