Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,379 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:23 AM

Etisalat Takes MTN To Court Over “family And Friends” Promo - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Etisalat Takes MTN To Court Over “family And Friends” Promo (3247 Views)

MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv / MTN To End Blackberry Services In Nigeria On January 27 / Court Awards N5m To Airtel Customer Who Dragged Them To Court Over Messages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Etisalat Takes MTN To Court Over “family And Friends” Promo by Nobody: 10:39pm On Aug 04, 2015
rman:
A couple of years back, I said the price war will only favour the biggest operators in Telecoms in the long run.

Who started the price war?

Now, majority of our operators are not making profits from voice call and the only way to break even is to ensure calls generated on your network are terminated on your network or interconnect fee will make you run voice calls at a loss.

However, NCC got it wrong by restricting MTN in the first place. Are they trying to stifle MTN so others can catch and overtake them.

Etisalat and Airtel knows anything below what it is now is not profitable and they know if prices are similar across networks, the biggest network wins.

The price war has reached the point of backfiring for smaller operatic hence the need for court injunction to stop MTN from running a promo every other operator is running already.
That is the truth. The price war is really favouring MTN than other networks in Nigeria. Imagine MTN introducing family and friends after the ban from NCC. I still wonder what NCC is doing about this, inspite of the Mobile Number Portability, it's not helping matters yet some persons are still complaining of MTN.
Re: Etisalat Takes MTN To Court Over “family And Friends” Promo by richybanky(m): 10:43pm On Aug 04, 2015
asuustrike2009:

That is not true as in warri, some of us get 8k/sec
Ar u serious broda, d lowest am getting here in Bida (Niger State) is 12k ooo so tey I vex call der customer service sef bt na story den dey yarn me
Re: Etisalat Takes MTN To Court Over “family And Friends” Promo by Nobody: 1:26am On Aug 05, 2015
[b][/b][b]
rman:
A couple of years back, I said the price war will only favour the biggest operators in Telecoms in the long run.

Who started the price war?

Now, majority of our operators are not making profits from voice call and the only way to break even is to ensure calls generated on your network are terminated on your network or interconnect fee will make you run voice calls at a loss.

However, NCC got it wrong by restricting MTN in the first place. Are they trying to stifle MTN so others can catch and overtake them.

Etisalat and Airtel knows anything below what it is now is not profitable and they know if prices are similar across networks, the biggest network wins.

The price war has reached the point of backfiring for smaller operatic hence the need for court injunction to stop MTN from running a promo every other operator is running already.

Why do you say so? NCC was just doing their job. If they don't restrict MTN, it will make the market not competitive there making smaller players withdraw from the market e.g starcomms, multi link, retel wireless e.t.c
Re: Etisalat Takes MTN To Court Over “family And Friends” Promo by Nobody: 1:30am On Aug 05, 2015
richybanky:

Ar u serious broda, d lowest am getting here in Bida (Niger State) is 12k ooo so tey I vex call der customer service sef bt na story den dey yarn me
[b][/b][i]

Yes it's true.
Re: Etisalat Takes MTN To Court Over “family And Friends” Promo by rman: 4:17am On Aug 05, 2015
asuustrike2009:
[b][/b][b]

Why do you say so? NCC was just doing their job. If they don't restrict MTN, it will make the market not competitive there making smaller players withdraw from the market e.g starcomms, multi link, retel wireless e.t.c

Starcoms, Multilinks and RelTel are CDMA operators. However, MTN didn't start the price war, AirTel did.

Lowering prices favour consumers but lowering prices with the intention of making the market leader lose customer base in a free market is not a good strategy long time because anyone can lower prices. At the end it is the small operator that will kill itself with such a strategy.

Do u see how many threads and post on social media about MTN being expensive? there are a lot and it was working until mtn decide to join the price war and they are now crying foul. Mtn hasn't broken any law.

In service industry you need to carve a niche and ensure there is something unique about your service or product in a very competitive market.

A good example is Apple products that remains very competitive even when we all know it is expensive. MTNs strategy of everywhere u go by rolling out fast outside major cities and towns is what gave them the large customer base in the first place. They didn't achieve large customer base because their calls was cheap. They spent money and invested massively onto their network in rural areas and used a first to get there strategy.

Right now, in major cities and towns, they have no advantage on Etisalat, because Etisalat is the preferred newtwork for data. So why is Etisalat that came 7yrs after and made a huge success with close to 25million subscribers still trying to take the mtn advantage away?

Number portability that people claimed will kill mtn didn't do it because before it was introduced, Nigerian market is a massive mutisiming one(people already carry multiple sims). So will u port other lines to a network u already have as alternate sim? No need.
If Etisalat feels mtn calls are too cheap, she should lower hers to 2k and let's see how one of the operators won't close shop soon.

Etisalat should go and focus on her business. This obsession with MTN didn't help GLO, and I don't think it will help Etisalat.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Etisalat Takes MTN To Court Over “family And Friends” Promo by Youngpo413: 9:38am On Aug 05, 2015
Daintilicious:
lolz @ smaller operators . water knows its level
na so
Re: Etisalat Takes MTN To Court Over “family And Friends” Promo by niceguy7(m): 9:50am On Aug 05, 2015
I want to sell my phones.....all working perfect the gionee m2 is going with the pack and accessories.

Samsung Galaxy win white.......14k last
Gionee m2 marathon........17,999 last
Bold 5 white...... 9,999 lastlast
You can whatsapp me 08075753750 or 08096178785
Re: Etisalat Takes MTN To Court Over “family And Friends” Promo by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 05, 2015
rman:

Starcoms, Multilinks and RelTel are CDMA operators. However, MTN didn't start the price war, AirTel did.

Lowering prices favour consumers but lowering prices with the intention of making the market leader lose customer base in a free market is not a good strategy long time because anyone can lower prices. At the end it is the small operator that will kill itself with such a strategy.

Do u see how many threads and post on social media about MTN being expensive? there are a lot and it was working until mtn decide to join the price war and they are now crying foul. Mtn hasn't broken any law.

In service industry you need to carve a niche and ensure there is something unique about your service or product in a very competitive market.

A good example is Apple products that remains very competitive even when we all know it is expensive. MTNs strategy of everywhere u go by rolling out fast outside major cities and towns is what gave them the large customer base in the first place. They didn't achieve large customer base because their calls was cheap. They spent money and invested massively onto their network in rural areas and used a first to get there strategy.

Right now, in major cities and towns, they have no advantage on Etisalat, because Etisalat is the preferred newtwork for data. So why is Etisalat that came 7yrs after and made a huge success with close to 25million subscribers still trying to take the mtn advantage away?

Number portability that people claimed will kill mtn didn't do it because before it was introduced, Nigerian market is a massive mutisiming one(people already carry multiple sims). So will u port other lines to a network u already have as alternate sim? No need.
If Etisalat feels mtn calls are too cheap, she should lower hers to 2k and let's see how one of the operators won't close shop soon.

Etisalat should go and focus on her business. This obsession with MTN didn't help GLO, and I don't think it will help Etisalat.

True talk fam.
Re: Etisalat Takes MTN To Court Over “family And Friends” Promo by godunia(m): 4:41pm On Aug 05, 2015
asuustrike2009:

That is not true as in warri, some of us get 8k/sec
its fixed at 12k per second here in abuja.I don't no why these other network providers keep making things difficult for us. Whenever mtn tries to bring down price d either go to NCC or court.if they can't stand competition de should leave na.
Re: Etisalat Takes MTN To Court Over “family And Friends” Promo by Nobody: 1:23am On Aug 11, 2015
rman:

That's true. Etisalat can expand it's network especially broad band. By the time they do that, they will gain more subscribers. Airtel tried that last year but data easily finishes. The best strategy for etisalat is to expand it's broad band, make the consumption rate minimal like that of MTN and watch what will come out it. Secondly make calls to etisalat numbers cheaper like MTN, for example calling all etisalat lines @ 10k/sec from the first sec, Free night or weekend calls e.t.c

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Should I Go For: Tecno C9 Or Lg G3 / Nairalanders Which Of The Android Phones Should I Buy? / Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.