Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

My Enyimba Love Story By Emmanuel Obika - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / My Enyimba Love Story By Emmanuel Obika (802 Views)

New Look Of Enyimba International Stadium Aba / Violence During/after Etoile Vs Enyimba Game. Story By Enyimba's Media Officer / Enyimba F.C Of Aba Rewarded With N30m For Winning The Nigerian League (pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Enyimba Love Story By Emmanuel Obika by Ajibel(m): 12:07pm On Aug 04, 2015
Source: http://www.thatenyimbafan.com/blogs/my-enyimba-love-story-emmanuel-obika/

Good morning Guys.

We promised a few weeks ago that we were working on dedicating a specific day of the week to accommodate tales from other Enyimba fans far and near. It must not necessarily be a story of how you fell in love with the club, it could be a match day story, it could be a day the club broke your heart, whatever you deem good enough and true enough to share with other fans. The platform is ready now.

The idea of course as you share with us your experience (whether good or bad) is for us to know just how much Enyimba means to you. So we kick off this column up today with Emmanuel Obika who tells us his love tale with the People's Elephant. Remember you can share your tales via our email- thatenyimbafan@gmail.com

-

How do I start explaining my romance with the peoples elephant? I don't think its something I can rattle out whenever am called on to explain. I mean a man on a journey of self discovery can't really point out where the rain started beating him.

But Wait o! do you remember that sports daily paper back in d day, produced by Paul Bassey (MON)? The one In black and white? Yeah it was called TODAY'S SPORTS, that's how this love story gained momentum.

I remember picking one up and read of the 6-1 drubbing of Enyimba by Ismaily. Kaii! A whole Nigerian Premier League Champion, being beaten silly by Ismaily, not even the dreaded Al Ahly oo, but ismaily. I dropped d paper immediately I picked it up as if it had a venomous sting.

But on continuous buying of daily sport (which was 10naira back then, easily affordable by a teenage me) I realised Enyimba was not just any other club, they just won the league on a row, hardly shuffled players at d end of every season like the wee clubs, valued and paid players well, had a sole administrator who wasn't gonna be fired in the near future, had sponsors at their beck and call. The big one, wait for it...they were the only one back then with a home stadium named after them. I mean it was their ground they didn't share. That's stability and I do believe you know how much stability and consistency matter in life.

Enyimba was like the perfect bride whose accomplishment was enough to rope the best man in the land to her. I was that man. Enyimba would rope you in and serenade you, whisper words sunday school swore they never existed into your ear, your mouth would be ajar, salivating and gasping for breath at the same time. Even when u go to sleep she's there in your dreams telling you how much she appreciates you in her life.(Kaii see what good football can do). Ok enough of this love making story.

We went on to win the African Champions League back to back. Good football, awesome away results of which two were outstanding for me- the first final against Ismaily (Revenge is a meal best served cold, right?) and the one with Esperance, against all odds. I still have a wallpaper from that match in my room depicting Onyekachi Okonkwo pointing towards the sky). Enyimba had mastered the North Africans and their antics that we almost always came out tops (oh glory).

Africa feared us, SA clubs with all their money were envious, the clubs at home were scared, coming to aba always seemed just a formality for them because they had only two options either loose or loose, no bargaining. All the best players in the land would die to don our jersey. Good old days I'd say.

Now let me take a look at that legendary squad that won us a Champions League title back to back. Indefatigable Enyeama manned the posts, he held sway like Thor. In fact he's the real Thor the other is a copycat. Yes I said so. He was ably deputized by Dele Aiyenugba "the cat". Believe me when I say, Dele had penalties for breakfast, lunch and dinner. He could catch penalties and at the same time sing the national anthem.

Then comes the legendary Romanus Orjinta (RIP) Captain of the whole universe, protector of the back four and the leader of the blue army. Hard as nail. He wasn't just our captain but also captain to hundred of thousands of Enyimba fans. If he ever said jump we would only ask how high? He was ably deputized by Obinna Nwaneri 'aba boy' calm as casmir(lol), and he became captain after Orjinta left.

We had Yusuf Mohammed, Ogbonnaya Okemiri who marauded the flanks like guys on a drive by shootout. Was always amazed how Okey despite his handicap was so efficient still sad he plays for those small boys across town.

In midfield was Muri Ogunbiyi so cool as a cucumber, never for once will you see emotions on his face, you never knew if he was happy or boiling deep down but his vision was 99%. He was partnered by Onyekachi Okonkwo "Mr Smiles" that's that much talked about engine room you always hear, yep, both of them.

Behind the front three was David Tyakavse who was so so good in the "hole". Applause for the Three Musketeers in African football. Joetex Frimpong, Emeka Nwanna (First Million Man buy in the NPL), Ndidi Anumunu and Victor Ezeji. Those guys plundered goals at will. I would swear they screamed goal at every other interval in their personal lives.

These guys entangled me into the fabric that is Enyimba. Made me look forward to every 90mins involving Enyimba. We truimphed and shared backslaps every other week.

Oh Enyimba, May this romance never end.

-

I gotta say this fan is as poetic as he is crazy. Nice choice of words in some of his descriptions and although mixed up some of the player sets mixed up, nice relieving those memories.

Back tomorrow with a preview for the Akwa United game.

'EnyimbaEnyi

Re: My Enyimba Love Story By Emmanuel Obika by tck2000(m): 2:11pm On Jun 09, 2019
Enyimba

(1) (Reply)

Wenger Is The Only Man In The Word That Refused Real Madrid / Serena Williams Loses At The 2015 US Open / Ragae Blues! See What A Fan Composed About Chelsea’s Recent Defeat, So Funny!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.