Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,461 members, 7,819,681 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians (7103 Views)

Princess Vitarah Sings About Nigerian Vagina, Says It's Tighter Than Kenyan's / 2015 Top 20 Richest Nigerian Musicians, See Their Net Worth / Where Are These Nigerian Musicians? (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by Advin(m): 9:49am On Oct 24, 2005
I get annoyed when I watch some Nigerian music. They are very discouraging, and worst of all, they are shown on satelite TV. They give foreigners the impression that we are just a bunch of lousy human beings.

The Music industry has become place for hungry people looking for greener pastures. I am not trying to take away their source of leaving, because we will start having more hold ups on the streets. (A place for the homeless)

They don't have nice concepts, Imagine somebody singing in the bush, not even with a wireless mic. Their songs also are so meaningless, they have learnt the art of repetition at all levels.

I think only the likes of 2face, Psquare and some others that should remain. The rest should be kicked out of that industry.
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by saidi: 10:37pm On Oct 25, 2005
listen uyo here in ivory coast we adore nigeria musics like 2face stylplus neji and some good musics but if you place the good eggs among the bad ones it will spolt everything together so my brother dont talk bad of our music o even ivoiren poeple are looking for the cassette to buy and the dont unerstand english but they like it what do you think.
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by theORAKU(m): 4:01pm On Oct 26, 2005
[flash=200,200][/flash]
uyo, its a free world men.

all men have right to exercise their "TALENT" no matter how unpleasant it is to the next man.

Really some of this guys are actually WHACK cry, but there are more good ones than the bad ones.

Some are just coming up and might actually not b doing gud rite now, but i think they need encouragement.

IT aint easy putting out songs no matter hw bad it sounds.
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by gbaduz: 2:12pm On Nov 15, 2005
it is true what you guys have said.
most nigerian musicians sound the same and uninspirational.
But i still salute the likes of mike aremu
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by gbaduz: 2:28pm On Nov 15, 2005
it is true what you guys have said.
most nigerian musicians sound the same and uninspirational.
But i still salute the likes of mike aremu
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by fabian(f): 2:37pm On Nov 15, 2005
There are soooooooo many good Nigerian Musicians, the list is so long, I can't even begin. I'll leave the listing for someone like Layi who knows more about Nigerian music than I do.
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by raregroove(m): 4:34pm On Nov 15, 2005
The list of Nigerian Musicians is a long one indeed; my list harkens a revisit to yesteryears.

Modern Nigerian music has suffered from its over-reliance on western ideas; this has had the impact of substituting the Nigerian/African sound for a western one.  I foster a huge admiration for the leading proponent of Apala music – Haruna Ishola, during his reign he did not result to the use of western instruments for the identity of his sound.

Fela is another example of an artiste that ensured his sound was not compromised by western influences, when Sly & Dunbar produced a version of his acclaimed “Army arrangement”, whilst he was serving a trumped up currency charge, Fela was very furious & rightfully so, as it is self-evident that Fela’s original recording is far superior to the aforementioned production. Another remarkable thing about Fela, was that he never resulted to the use of trained female vocals; the sound from his girls was raw, angular and above all very African in texture.

To appreciate the Nigerian sound, one needs to revisit or learn the juju sound from the 30s onwards to the 90s, the highlife music of the 50s, 60s & 70s, the Sakara legends – the great Abibu Oluwa, Yusuf Olatunji etc, the music of the Fuji kings – Ayinde Barrister & Kollington Ayinla & the hypnotic Afro-beat of Fela, Tony Allen & Orlando Julius inclusive.

Time does not allow me to expand further but nonetheless I hope this helps….
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by fabian(f): 4:59pm On Nov 15, 2005
Sure does, don't forget Mike Okri.....
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by raregroove(m): 5:06pm On Nov 15, 2005
I didn't forget him, neither did I forget Chris Mba nor Ras Kimono. I rate them as very mediocre artistes. I did forget the Imo boys orchestra & Prince Nico Mbarga & warrior - all excellent artistes in their own rights.
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by fabian(f): 5:28pm On Nov 15, 2005
You're a funny one!
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by raregroove(m): 5:37pm On Nov 15, 2005
Fabian you're making me blush (remember black men aren't supposed to blush?)
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by fabian(f): 5:57pm On Nov 15, 2005
naw we're not!
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by icingbaby(f): 12:57am On Nov 16, 2005
most Nigeria song i have hard, they all have America beat on it, that is stealing
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by theORAKU(m): 4:40pm On Dec 02, 2005
is there any thing like american beat.

gurl, no idea is original!
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by eveseh(f): 10:28pm On Apr 26, 2006
theORAKU:

is there any thing like american beat.

girl, no idea is original!

wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by Manta(m): 11:12am On Apr 27, 2006
Comrade Advin and fellow nairalanders, it's absolute falsehood to say naija music has not grown. Gone are the days when juju and afro music was the only genre played in the country- now, our artist have diversified into almost all patterns of music one can think of on this planet.

Any one that does not listen to quality naija music now may probably have some problems with selection. From hiphop, R&B, pop, rap, reggae, gospel, to traditional african music, we've got arrays of quality sounds and creative arts which one can boast of to compete any standard in any part of the world. When Wyclef came to Nigeria, he advised our guys to refuse being called local artist because they have all it takes to win the grammy- didn't you hear when Wyclef shook Modenine after his perfomance at Abuja and told him 'Guy you're tight- keep it up'

Incase you don't know what to listen to and who to listen to, I'll try to give you guys some very few names that may come to my mind just now

Rap- Modenine, Ruggedman, Terry the Rapman, Pheroshuz, Alabai, Jaffar, Dr. Fresh, etc
R&B- Age Beeka, Tu-Face, Faze, Stylplus, Asha, Obiwon, Dijinee, etc
Hiphop- Blackface, 2shotz, Mekoyo, Soul Clan, Blacktribe, Rule Clean, Tribunal, Bravo D etc
Gospel- Romeo, Jeremiah Gyang, Ebiere, KSB, etc
Reggae- Rymzo, Bukky, African China etc
Ragga- Jungulist, Danfo Drivers, Prof Linkin, Faya, infact all the Ajegunle based artists
African beats- the Kerewa boys(Zulezoo),
I can go on and on but, just to show you we have grown passed the level we were in the eighties, naija is going grammy so, Watch out!

Just of recent, our own artist were on tour of Germany perfoming and address school children a project put together by out|here rec and funded by the Bundeszentrale fuer politische Bildung (a part of the educational board of the German government).

Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by JustGood(m): 5:57pm On Jan 20, 2007
you no appreciate betta naija music?
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by kevinheim(m): 11:10pm On Jan 29, 2007
Y SOMEONE GO BRING THIS KIND TOPIC , NAIJA MUSIC BAM NOBI SAY , CHECK PEOPLE LIKE , FAZE,2face,p-square,sauce kid,modenine,ojb,amplifyd crew,ELDee,sid,freestyle,rymzo,ruggedman,paul play and so on,

Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by alisigwe(m): 1:21pm On Nov 21, 2007
i really laugh at somr funny posts by some peeps over here,it's there anything like wack this dayz,no body wants to invest in where he aint gonn to gain,mode drooped an album wayback and nobody cared abt him,he was very very dissapointed and wanted to throw in the towel, till qmark rescued him,artists like konga,dbanj and a whole lot of them aint real to me but people are feeling them,so if u aint down to peeps like that u pour out ur heart to the ones u're feeling,
TO me GINO is the best thing to ever happen to naija music scene,and he aint gonn stop till the he stops breathing.
Re: Let's Talk About Nigerian Musicians by ahmedoo(m): 8:41am On Aug 29, 2009

(1) (Reply)

DOWNLOAD: Bekezela – Bekezela / DOWNLOAD: Olamide Ft D’banj – First Of All (remix) - NO TAGS / MUSIC: Quincy Ft. Phyno – Jombo [DOWNLOAD]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.