Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,688 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

Do You Celebrate Indepence Day Abroad? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Celebrate Indepence Day Abroad? (1037 Views)

South African Lady Goes Topless To Celebrate Her Culture With Pride / Youths Celebrate Age Grade In Imo With Guns & Sticks (Video) / Half Unclad Women Celebrate Their Culture In Rivers State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Celebrate Indepence Day Abroad? by Filashade(f): 11:27am On Aug 05, 2015
I just wanted to find out if Nigerians or (half Nigerians) celebrate Independence day abroad?

I still do but its now seen as "Show off" by my white colleagues over here.

I was talking with one of my Jamaican colleagues about Jamaican Independence tomorrow and was told that no one really celebrate it anymore but they dont want people thinking they are trying to show off their country in any way which will make people treat them differently.

I am confused because it seems the people who i meet nowadays are ashamed of their identity.

For e.g someone who has lived in the uk for 7 years says he is British not Nigerian even though he was born in Naija and lived there almost his entire life? He even says he cant stand the Nigerian culture?

It is only only him so many people especially the younger generation of Nigerian/Jamaica

Ehnnn mi i no understand that one oo

Y do people do that?

Any responses will be appreciated!!!
Re: Do You Celebrate Indepence Day Abroad? by RichDad1(m): 11:32am On Aug 05, 2015
Patriotism
Re: Do You Celebrate Indepence Day Abroad? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Aug 05, 2015
@ Filashade, do not ever stop, okay?
Even if one lived in the western world for a hundred years, and blocked all people they knew from the "backwards place".....
....even if they tore their passports....even if they got a room in Buckingham Palace and the White House at the same time.....no matter how much the person may curse their homeland, even if they knew how to sing the star -spangled banner and God save the queen backwards shocked...etc...

They would always be from Africa.....the whites they seek to please and be transformed into, would always, always wish they were far from them....
They at times prefer lions to them...true
My whole point is, I feel desperately sorry for such people
Tragic, really
Re: Do You Celebrate Indepence Day Abroad? by Filashade(f): 12:48pm On Aug 06, 2015
milychocs:
@ Filashade, do not ever stop, okay?
Even if one lived in the western world for a hundred years, and blocked all people they knew from the "backwards place".....
....even if they tore their passports....even if they got a room in Buckingham Palace and the White House at the same time.....no matter how much the person may curse their homeland, even if they knew how to sing the star -spangled banner and God save the queen backwards shocked...etc...

They would always be from Africa.....the whites they seek to please and be transformed into, would always, always wish they where far from them....
They at times prefer lions to them...true
My whole point is, I feel desperately sorry for such people
Tragic, really

Thank yousmiley

Yes it is very sad. Sometimes am ashamed to have such people come from the same country as me. Its a disgrace really

But anyway thats their problem really am celebrating Jamaican Independence Today with style (got the national attire and everythingtongue)

Might post the pic latertongue

1 Like

Re: Do You Celebrate Indepence Day Abroad? by Ayomax(m): 11:05am On Nov 12, 2015
still waiting for the pix
Re: Do You Celebrate Indepence Day Abroad? by itstpia8: 5:13pm On Nov 12, 2015
you said you're half Jamaican, so why are you presenting your thread as if you just happened to come across Jamaica?
Re: Do You Celebrate Indepence Day Abroad? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Feb 12, 2017
Filashade:
I just wanted to find out if Nigerians or (half Nigerians) celebrate Independence day abroad?

I still do but its now seen as "Show off" by my white colleagues over here.

I was talking with one of my Jamaican colleagues about Jamaican Independence tomorrow and was told that no one really celebrate it anymore but they dont want people thinking they are trying to show off their country in any way which will make people treat them differently.

I am confused because it seems the people who i meet nowadays are ashamed of their identity.

For e.g someone who has lived in the uk for 7 years says he is British not Nigerian even though he was born in Naija and lived there almost his entire life? He even says he cant stand the Nigerian culture?

It is only only him so many people especially the younger generation of Nigerian/Jamaica

Ehnnn mi i no understand that one oo

Y do people do that?

Any responses will be appreciated!!!
Hello dear. I will like to connect with you for a serious relationship that will lead to marriage within a few months or as d time may be needed. Quote me to drop ur contact for me to call or chat with you as soon as possible. Or u send personal message via email tru nairaland.

(1) (Reply)

Are We Losing Our Language And Identity? / Do You Remember This, What Do Call It? / Queen Amina: The Real Strength In A Woman(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.