Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,037 members, 7,956,843 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:26 PM

TDCS And Brain Development - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / TDCS And Brain Development (872 Views)

Cell Phones, Cancers And Brain Tumors. Is There A Connection? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TDCS And Brain Development by Nobody: 11:36am On Aug 05, 2015
Goodday to ya'll. Y
So i'm going to be talking about Transcranial Direct Current Stimulations or simply put TDCS. It involves the passage of a small current through the brain, say 2 milliamperes, in order to treat medical conditions like strokes, epilepsy and you can also boost brain power with it. It's not like a surgery so you don't need to expose your brains in order to use it. Just electrodes attached to your scalp over the various areas you want to stimulate

Okay, lemme give you the underlying principle. Passing current through your brains sort of fires your synapses, charges the neurons in your nerves and causes information to be transfered at a faster rate in your brain. Though the downside to TDCS is that the effects are temporary unless you continue using it continuously over a long period of time.

There are TDCS devices sold in the market for exorbitant prices and there are also Do It Yourself guides all over the internet which cost less. I picked the later. The circuit design i used makes use of 4 9volt batteries which i attached a lot of resistors and 'stuffL to step the power down to about 2 milliamperes, And it worked perfectly, gives you a sort of woozy light-headed feeling . Though i later dropped it 'cos i had exams and didn't want to have any excuses for my faliure(excuses like wrong electrode placement) cheesycheesycheesy

mind you i wouldn't have paid much attention to this if i hadn't found out that that DARPA was using it to train better snipers and stealth fighter pilots. Or maybe i would, who knows? I'm that mad scientist kinda person who would probably dissect a human cadaver if it held answers to my many questions...or donate my body to sciencecheesycheesycheesy

Teempakguy RobinHez johnnydon22 ,your thoughts? Tell the team there's a party going on here 5minsmadness included
Re: TDCS And Brain Development by Nobody: 11:39am On Aug 05, 2015
BTW, i plan on making a version 2.0 with a simplified schematic and less batteries...and sorry if i bored you with my incoherent ramblings above cheesysmileycheesy
Re: TDCS And Brain Development by 5minsmadness: 11:55am On Aug 05, 2015
Bro, no be ECT(ELECTRICONVULSIVE THERAPY) you dey play with so? shocked It's a dangerous procedure o!
Re: TDCS And Brain Development by RobinHez(m): 12:12pm On Aug 05, 2015
*takes a seat*
Bro...aint that stuff dangerous?
Re: TDCS And Brain Development by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 05, 2015
Enters like a geek boss.

Man, i don't care about the danger. I just need to know, what are the applications/potential applications?

As well as any other juicy info. grin
Re: TDCS And Brain Development by RobinHez(m): 4:25pm On Aug 05, 2015
Teempakguy:
Enters like a geek boss.

Man, i don't care about the danger. I just need to know, what are the applications/potential applications?

I'll be here with chains when u begin to tear ur clothes grin
Re: TDCS And Brain Development by Nobody: 4:27pm On Aug 05, 2015
RobinHez:
I'll be here with chains when u begin to tear ur clothes grin
hahaha. grin my brain has a resistance to insanity. tongue
Re: TDCS And Brain Development by RobinHez(m): 4:32pm On Aug 05, 2015
Teempakguy:
hahaha. grin my brain has a resistance to insanity. tongue
No...I had charles hawkings in mind when I wrote dat..grin
Re: TDCS And Brain Development by Nobody: 7:00pm On Aug 05, 2015
Teempakguy:
Enters like a geek boss.

lol...depending on the areas you decide to stimulate, there is an infinite amount of results you can produce. Your electrodes are two, the anode and cathode...lets say you have a socialization problem, concenteration problem or inability to carry out logical deductions, you can place your anode electrode on the area you wish to stimulate and the cathode on another area and pass a current through it; a reverse electrode placement will produce the opposite result. Note that there will be a drop in mental activity of the part where you dropped your cathode electrode; good thing is, the effects are temporary. But i guess it's a small price to pay for being super smart...even if it's for a few days. There are many things it can bestow on you like ability to discern difference in pitch of two different sound sources,...and many other crazy-cool stuff cheesycheesycheesy
Re: TDCS And Brain Development by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 05, 2015
RobinHez:
*takes a seat*

Bro...aint that stuff dangerous?
not at all...provided you have exactly 2milliamperes of current...anything higher than that, don't blame me for the brain lesions you'll get afterwards
Re: TDCS And Brain Development by Nobody: 7:13pm On Aug 05, 2015
khupid:
lol...depending on the areas you decide to stimulate, there is an infinite amount of results you can produce. Your electrodes are two, the anode and cathode...lets say you have a socialization problem, concenteration problem or inability to carry out logical deductions, you can place your anode electrode on the area you wish to stimulate and the cathode on another area and pass a current through it; a reverse electrode placement will produce the opposite result. Note that there will be a drop in mental activity of the part where you dropped your cathode electrode; good thing is, the effects are temporary. But i guess it's a small price to pay for being super smart...even if it's for a few days. There are many things it can bestow on you like ability to discern difference in pitch of two different sound sources,...and many other crazy-cool stuff cheesycheesycheesy
oh my bloody God!!! shockedshockedshocked
this is the coolest thing i've heard off since hololens!
We can totally talk about this, of course, robinhez has to drop his cowardness first. tongue
any links to some background info? Perhaps ongoing research, existing devices, or wikipedia articles. . .

This would be totally great for my assimilation plans. I just hope that materials learned with the help of the device can still be understood and remembered after the effect wears off.
Re: TDCS And Brain Development by Nobody: 7:14pm On Aug 05, 2015
5minsmadness:
Bro, no be ECT(ELECTRICONVULSIVE THERAPY) you dey play with so? shocked It's a dangerous procedure o!
OMG!!! ECT is so 1942 and barbaric. Almost seems like a torture technique. I think ECT uses high amount of AC current to blast your brain and induce seizures in order to treat certain medical conditions. Meanwhile TDCS uses DC currents stepped down to exactly 2miliamperes which is totally harmless to the brain. Though TDCS has a counterpart named TACS)Transcranial Alternating Current Stimulation) , i haven't really conducted much research into it so i can't really tell you how it works but i'm pretty sure it's not as barbaric as ECT(shock therapy)
Re: TDCS And Brain Development by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 05, 2015
Teempakguy:
oh my bloody God!!! shockedshockedshocked
this is the coolest thing i've heard off since hololens!
We can totally talk about this, of course, robinhez has to drop his cowardness first. tongue
any links to some background info? Perhaps ongoing research, existing devices, or wikipedia articles. . .

This would be totally great for my assimilation plans. I just hope that materials learned with the help of the device can still be understood and remembered after the effect wears off.
check out http://en.m.wikipedia.com/wiki/transcranial_direct-current_stimulation . For more info, you can always use google, there's a lot of info on TDCS(including people saying that TDCS versions are harmful cheesycheesycheesy ) and yes, you can still remember after the effects wear off...it just helps you read and understand better, your knowledge doesn't fade as the effects wear off smiley
Re: TDCS And Brain Development by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 05, 2015
khupid:
check out http://en.m.wikipedia.com/wiki/transcranial_direct-current_stimulation . For more info, you can always use google, there's a lot of info on TDCS(including people saying that TDCS versions are harmful cheesycheesycheesy ) and yes, you can still remember after the effects wear off...it just helps you read and understand better, your knowledge doesn't fade as the effects wear off smiley
thanks for the link. grin
i'm thinking of getting a device of my own now. cool
Re: TDCS And Brain Development by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 05, 2015
Teempakguy:
thanks for the link. grin
i'm thinking of getting a device of my own now. cool
lol, update us on your progress as you go

(1) (Reply)

Electronic Components In Aba / Why Does Eating Pineapple Make Your Mouth Sore? / How To Create A Guest Account In Android Lollipop And Marshmallow Devices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.