Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,024 members, 7,814,506 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) (15098 Views)

Why Job Seekers Fail To Get Job After Interview / Jobs @ A Reputable Property Development And Construction Company / Benin Jobs : A Female Secretary/ Receptionist Needed In A Computer Institute. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by major466(m): 12:06pm On Aug 06, 2015
There's a big difference between marketing and sales.
Marketing is the promotion of a particular product(s) to Potential Customers. Its a form of awareness program aimed at sensitising people about the unqueness of a product future patronage... While Sales involve direct selling of products to customers.

1 Like

Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by bakynes(m): 12:13pm On Aug 06, 2015
Toks2008:
Marketing is the opium of any profitable organization.

While many people prefer the type of job that requires them walking into an office,sit down and attend to clients, they fail to look away from the fact that without marketing,that company will crash in a swift.

The time is coming when employers will pay salaries based on percentage of profits made for the month so whether we love it or hate it,we all better start embracing marketing.

The funny twist is that consciously or unconsciously we are all marketers and most times without benefits.

How many times have you told a friend about a nice meal you ate at a certain mama put?
How many times have you recommended a good product you like to a friend?
Countless number of people are enjoying the health benefits of garlic and pineapple mix because i freely gave an advice on it and if there is a company that is actually selling this i guess i would have earned great commissions from them.

i can not continue to enumerate on the many products and services we all have marketed at one time or the other without even deliberately doing it yet when we are conspicuously confronted with a sales/marketing job, we suddenly develop an appalling attitude towards it.Strange i must say.
You are right my friend, yes Marketing is the opium of many companies and organizations but when employers give outrageous targets to people then that's a problem. I remember when I was looking for a job. Someone directed me to a New Table water company and the manager gave me outrageous target, he told me I would sell 3,000 packs of table water in a month and if I don't sell up to that I won't be paid at all and he told me the company can only afford 20k and I just looked at him and simply walked out of there. How do you expect someone to sell 3,000 packs containing abt 8 table water each in my area where road construction is even going on you can get held up in traffic for 1hour going and one hour coming not to talk of the entire Lagos traffic. How do you even sell 3,000 packs of your own product with hundreds of other products out there in the market also trying to sell their own products.

1 Like

Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by dandollaz: 12:18pm On Aug 06, 2015
HenryThegreat1:
If because of ur connections are the reasons y u are going into marketing of any kind, u might not succeed because dat connection is laziness.
for naija u r still a learner im marketing job without commection.u might sweet talk the whole day but the final busstop is to get the money which is difficult for people to trust u but with connecting the job is done is few minutes.ask urself why banks like using ladies for marketing?ur guess is like good as mine
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by STEVENcrack(m): 12:24pm On Aug 06, 2015
wfmcc:
All opinions should be respected, so I respect yours. But know that all Banks do not have the same products. Secondly,targets are challenging but I would tell you many have achieved without even having any connection but they built up to the challenge. Thirdly,why would you think you can not,even when you have not tried,it is better to try for the said three months,bare the risk,& what if you make it?. Know that no employer jails an employee for not failing to meet target. My dear, any optimist can always think and try,it could be an avenue for a greater exploit.

Your moniker is WFMCC meaning Work Force Management Centre..an outsourcing firm that recruits marketers,Direct sales agents,sales representatives or watever names u call them only to pay them peanuts and expoose them to slavery. Imagine a graduate paid 40k that's not even up to a semeter fee..am poignant u guyz sud be hanged..even u replying dis posts with all dis English can u do a marketing job..the marketter wud be suffering in d sun to meet some outrageous mammoth target while u will slash part of his salary and pay him peanut.

Please don't let me expose u guyz because u people are one of d problem Nigeria is facing esp graduates..there curses won't seize until nemesis falls on u people.

WAY FORWARD that bank marketing/sales is slavery. Scrap it or pay the equivalent at least.

5 Likes

Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by wfmcc(f): 1:12pm On Aug 06, 2015
STEVENcrack:

Your moniker is WFMCC meaning Work Force Management Centre..an outsourcing firm that recruits marketers,Direct sales agents,sales representatives or watever names u call them only to pay them peanuts and expoose them to slavery. Imagine a graduate paid 40k that's not even up to a semeter fee..am poignant u guyz sud be hanged..even u replying dis posts with all dis English can u do a marketing job..the marketter wud be suffering in d sun to meet some outrageous mammoth target while u will slash part of his salary and pay him peanut.

Please don't let me expose u guyz because u people are one of d problem Nigeria is facing esp graduates..there curses won't seize until nemesis falls on u people.

WAY FORWARD that bank marketing/sales is slavery. Scrap it or pay the equivalent at least.
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by 7lives: 1:13pm On Aug 06, 2015
eleko1:
Marketing Job is fun cool

Your head dey there.
Originality + ability = na we own the society.
Marketing is the best job any one can do provided you have the charm and the gift of advocacy.
Marketing is the reason so many young graduates are not either mad or have not commit suicide.
Marketing is putting food on so many empty stomachs.
Marketing is where Nigerians are now taking economic refuge.
So who's not marketing in Nigeria at the moment, join us for a power pack night vigil at..... and your life will never remain the same, the moment you can successfully convince anyone to take a decision that put few naira notes in your bank account,you are a marketer.
Marketing does not kill, it only make you stronger.
My people perish for a lack of knowledge, spread the word.
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by eleko1: 1:38pm On Aug 06, 2015
Thank u so much for dis piece.One lekki BDO once asked me where/how do I get customers.I reply her that hard work doesn't kill,it refine.I dnt see any stress in marketing Job if u like meeting pipu,it become simple as ABC
7lives:

Your head dey there.
Marketing is the best job any one can do provided you have the charm and the gift of advocacy.
Marketing is the reason so many young graduates are not either mad or have not commit suicide.
So who's not marketing in Nigeria at the moment, join us for a power pack night vigil at..... and your life will never remain the same, the moment you can successfully convince anyone to take a decision that put few naira notes in your bank account,you are a marketer.
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by STEVENcrack(m): 1:54pm On Aug 06, 2015
wfmcc:
I can understand how you feel from your expression,but no one is ever forced to get a job, & workforce or any other recruiting/consulting firms recruits for all bank positions & not for a single role as you mentioned. I wish you only understand how the economy runs,even in US,there are consulting/recruiting firms. We all can only encourage the government to move motions for a more flexible policy in financial institutions.

Yeah I also understand that you must protect your organisation and also the fact that the economy is bad and also d fact that U.S also have outsourcing firm but my bone of contention is that the renumeration is very very poor and neglible..Now for instance a graduate H.N.D, or BSC graduate working as a diamond bank sales/marketer earns 28k with 0.25 commision no transport allowance, no feeding and he must open 60 accounts per months including exclusive accts(acct opened with 250K and above). Then a 10million naira monthly target. And after 3 months he wud be asked to go because he didn't meet their beautiful and lovely target.THAT'S WICKEDNESS and the reason why this nonsense would continue is because the outsourcing firms dont really care as long as their client is paying them well and thEy are getting their percentage from another Man's sweat.

I understand that u also recruit for other positions like the opeartions. Am a distinction student(27years) old and still roaming around d street of lagos looking for Mirage JOBS(jobs that looks like they are there but in d real sense they are not) so WFMCC is there anyway that u can help change my status from Jobless to employed because all d offer am getting from all outsourcing firm is a marketing job which I won't take.
I know that it is not d system that reads and reply so pls help a brother out. Don't let me comit suicide and die with all my brilliance, my dreams, and my goals. Thank you so much for looking into my concerns.
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by gabbidonb(m): 2:15pm On Aug 06, 2015
Op I can see you are writing something u're clueless about n you yourself cannot explain properly.
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by Nobody: 2:29pm On Aug 06, 2015
Toks2008:
Marketing is the opium of any profitable organization.

While many people prefer the type of job that requires them walking into an office,sit down and attend to clients, they fail to look away from the fact that without marketing,that company will crash in a swift.

The time is coming when employers will pay salaries based on percentage of profits made for the month so whether we love it or hate it,we all better start embracing marketing.

The funny twist is that consciously or unconsciously we are all marketers and most times without benefits.

How many times have you told a friend about a nice meal you ate at a certain mama put?
How many times have you recommended a good product you like to a friend?
Countless number of people are enjoying the health benefits of garlic and pineapple mix because i freely gave an advice on it and if there is a company that is actually selling this i guess i would have earned great commissions from them.

i can not continue to enumerate on the many products and services we all have marketed at one time or the other without even deliberately doing it yet when we are conspicuously confronted with a sales/marketing job, we suddenly develop an appalling attitude towards it.Strange i must say.

Marketing is definitely valuable to businesses but I think a marketing job has to be suited to the employee's personality if not, they'll find it frustrating. I work with the international marketing department of my university. My favourite thing about it is that there are so many ways to psychologically manipulate convince potential customers.
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by IsaacBuchi(m): 2:46pm On Aug 06, 2015
Totally, marketing is the bedrock/essence of any business. I have been looking out tirelessly for some to work with but no better lead.
How do i get some for my business?

7lives:

Your head dey there.
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 06, 2015
Ariel20:
We market everyday (knowingly or unknowingly) so not a biggie.. especially cos you always would need something from somebody
...that something needed is available elsewhere, why bother undecided grin
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by judedwriter(m): 4:31pm On Aug 06, 2015
idongesit88:
Marketing is stressful
if not careful it can lead one to early grave; tried it before and the stress made me quit fast!!!
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by daclemx: 4:58pm On Aug 06, 2015
steffans:
it depends on what u are marketing wink
TANKS BRO...its more difficult when u market for a bank, chai their target na die.. but some products are very easy to market. note this as a marketer that consumers are paying for the benefit i.e exchanging money for benefit they will get from that goods or service so thats it. it depends on what you are selling dude
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by MrsAnyanwu(f): 6:24pm On Aug 06, 2015
virud:
Nice thread ...But I think you are actually doing your blog more harm than good. Secondly, you don't seem to be practising what you're preaching ... You should post the whole piece right here... Discerning minds would , I believe, be inclined to visit your blog..or at least, bookmark it. Well done!

On a second note!

What are you trying to sell to us? What ideas are you trying to portray? that there are no upsides to marketing/sales?

Sales / marketing dikwa promising!
lol, u sef ehnnn, pls give d Op some credit na, even if dere was no final conclusion to d topic
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by 7lives: 7:59pm On Aug 06, 2015
IsaacBuchi:
Totally, marketing is the bedrock/essence of any business. I have been looking out tirelessly for some to work with but no better lead.

Google search B2B, other Nigerian based marketing consultants and distribution companies, when you see sales promoters in the market approach them for information, there is always a space somehow provided you are not expecting a high salary.
The marketing managers are like football coaches,always looking for strikers, when you get an opportunity make good use of it, let your employers see you as a goal getter, full of ideas, a very good team player and sometimes ready to work with minimum supervision.
You can also work as a sales agent, if you can raise some money you can carve a " niche" for yourself marketing for distributors, go there with reasonable amount of money, as you continue to patronize them, ask for credit facility, once you can prove to them that your relationship with them will also impact positively on their business they will give you a credit facility, but remember that you will need a guarantor or two.
Most distributors are looking for high quality partners to work with because the more they sell the higher their commissions, some of them sells at a discount rates in order to meet their targets which varies in categories, this is where the sales agents are profiting reasonably.
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by 7lives: 8:01pm On Aug 06, 2015
IsaacBuchi:

Google search B2B, other Nigerian based marketing consultants and distribution companies, when you see sales promoters in the market approach them for information, there is always a space somehow provided you are not expecting a high salary.
The marketing managers are like football coaches,always looking for strikers, when you get an opportunity make good use of it, let your employers see you as a goal getter, full of ideas, a very good team player and sometimes ready to work with minimum supervision.
You can also work as a sales agent, if you can raise some money you can carve a " niche" for yourself marketing for distributors, go there with reasonable amount of money, as you continue to patronize them, ask for credit facility, once you can prove to them that your relationship with them will also impact positively on their business they will give you a credit facility, but remember that you will need a guarantor or two.
Most distributors are looking for high quality partners to work with because the more they sell the higher their commissions, some of them sells at a discount rates in order to meet their targets which varies in categories, this is where the sales agents are profiting reasonably.
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by STEVENcrack(m): 11:44pm On Aug 06, 2015
STEVENcrack:

But thank God for you guyz(outsourcing firm) if not it would only be d rich and corrupt that would be employed just that that marketing job sud be reviewed.
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by IsaacBuchi(m): 6:57am On Aug 07, 2015
thank you for taking out the time...Great advice I must say!

7lives:

Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by colsorubak(m): 8:54am On Aug 07, 2015
judedwriter:
if not careful it can lead one to early grave; tried it before and the stress made me quit fast!!!

my guy even people who studied marketing are scared or practicing it...That job is deadly..........na who go no know!
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by zubinike(m): 9:01am On Aug 07, 2015
ultrazone2:
No company can afford to pay you 10% of your worth. Don't spend your life building another man's dream, start a business today. See this »» Top 40 Lucrative Businesses You Should Start In Nigeria This Month.

Shey you go give them capital take start biz bah.
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by chudy144(m): 11:56am On Aug 07, 2015
Impressive
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by bluebay2(f): 2:27pm On Aug 07, 2015
Marketing is a very promising and lucrative job. It helps you interact with people from different works of life. Note that not all marketers walk the streets or are given very unrealistic targets.. I have had the opportunity to market different products from different companies to potential customers and I never found it stressful in anyway..i would not say that this job doesn't have downsides but the ups are way higher than the downs. And not all companies pay peanut, all you need to do is get in touch with the right agency
Re: Why Job Seekers Hate Marketing Jobs (A Must Read) by phillippians(m): 9:03pm On Nov 09, 2019
mrborntodoit:
The trekking no be here and lots of mischievous people take sexual advantage of female marketers .

Meanwhile, a lot of people won't even allow their wives become marketers especially in the banking sector grin
Even guys, person be wan burst my friend yansh before he go gree buy a product he was marketing

(1) (2) (Reply)

Recruitment At Shalom Science And Technology Academy Enugu / Join The Nigerian Army Officers Corp / Real Reason Why NPF Recruitment Of 10,000 Personnels Is Taking Too Long

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.