Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,238 members, 7,957,563 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 02:43 PM

Why Eating Pineapple Makes Your Mouth Sore? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Eating Pineapple Makes Your Mouth Sore? (756 Views)

X-hide App Review: Best Monster App That Makes Your Smartphone Content Invisible / Why Does Eating Pineapple Make Your Mouth Sore? / Kissing May Increase Risk Of Developing Mouth Cancer. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Eating Pineapple Makes Your Mouth Sore? by khalhokage(m): 3:31pm On Aug 10, 2015

Pineapples are thought to have originated in South America and were first discovered by Europeans in 1492 on the island of Guadeloupe. However, pineapples didn't make it to England until the late 1600's, where it quickly became a must-have item for the wealthy. Worth around $8,000 (£5000) each, only the absolute elite could afford this exotic fruit, and according to one [url=blogs.unimelb.edu.au/sciencecommunication/2012/10/07/the-flesh-eating-pineapple/]source[/url] , the fruit wasn't even eaten – just carried around under one's arm at parties and social events as a status symbol.

If you've ever eaten a pineapple, you'll have experienced that weird, scratchy, rough feeling on your tongue after you've munched through a few chunks. So why does that happen?

It turns out that pineapple contains bromelain , a mixture of enzymes that digest proteins. Despite bromelain being an approved anti-inflammatory treatment and having other health benefits, when it comes into contact with the sensitive skin in and around one's mouth, it's actually breaking down proteins, causing the tissue to become sore and inflamed.

So your favorite fruit is essentially eating your mouth. Yes, we're being dramatic. But you get the point.

iflscience
Re: Why Eating Pineapple Makes Your Mouth Sore? by SeXistBaStaRd(m): 3:32pm On Aug 10, 2015
undecided
Re: Why Eating Pineapple Makes Your Mouth Sore? by krazydave(m): 3:40pm On Aug 10, 2015
$8000
seriously, there's nothing worth dying for on this earth oo

1 Like

Re: Why Eating Pineapple Makes Your Mouth Sore? by Emmyk(m): 10:25am On Aug 11, 2015
It doesn't make my mouth sore undecided
Re: Why Eating Pineapple Makes Your Mouth Sore? by kenee24(m): 1:16pm On Aug 13, 2015
hi khalhocage, i have hp 625 that i want to sell for 30k...if you are interested contact me with this number:08131874398
Re: Why Eating Pineapple Makes Your Mouth Sore? by khalhokage(m): 1:29pm On Aug 13, 2015
kenee24:
hi khalhocage, i have hp 625 that i want to sell for 30k...if you are interested contact me with this number:08131874398

How do I get it in Asaba?
Re: Why Eating Pineapple Makes Your Mouth Sore? by kenee24(m): 1:59pm On Aug 13, 2015
khalhokage:

How do I get it in Asaba?
i am currently serving in cross river but can come down to Awka if you can make it too...since its halfway for the both of us..what do you think?
Re: Why Eating Pineapple Makes Your Mouth Sore? by khalhokage(m): 2:59pm On Aug 13, 2015
kenee24:

i am currently serving in cross river but can come down to Awka if you can make it too...since its halfway for the both of us..what do you think?
That's reasonable, let me sleep on it.
Re: Why Eating Pineapple Makes Your Mouth Sore? by sara8888(f): 8:57am On Aug 14, 2015
i like eating pineapples smiley

(1) (Reply)

Activate Gif Image Search With Google Gifs Chrome Extension / How to Hide Friends List on Facebook from Others / Eco Bank Pls Reverse My Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.