Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,981 members, 7,952,949 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:01 AM

I’ve Been Living On Painting Since 1994, Says Hammed - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / I’ve Been Living On Painting Since 1994, Says Hammed (921 Views)

Da Vinci Painting Of Jesus To Be Sold For $100m / A Painting (copied) Painted By Me / The Most Hilarious 3D 'painting' By A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I’ve Been Living On Painting Since 1994, Says Hammed by nairamaverick(m): 7:16am On Aug 11, 2015
Paintings of portraits of the former governor of Lagos state, Mr. Babatunde Fashola SAN and Nollywood star Omotola Jalade Ekeinde adorn various streets of Ikeja. This work has been for just as long as you can tell from the dullness of the painting that is fast becoming high and dry as days pass by. The representation of human forms is striking and it catches the sight of every first timer that visits the area. The man behind this work is Mr. Hammed Lukman, popularly named Lucky, a young artist who is married with kids and paints for a living. “I don’t do any other job since 1994. I was 19 years old when I started. So I don’t have any other job except this,” he disclosed. He has been painting for a score and a year now. The journey has not been without its hills and valleys. The astronomical cost for space, need for recognition, and the patience for contract calls are what you have to nurse if you are in Hammed’s shoes.
Hammed, who now has a studio and apprentices that work for him, after spending scores of months as a roadside artist, not only does he have a studio but is also a successful owner of a house which he built from painting. “I have built a house, yes, I have at Idubo, I thank God,” he enthused. Just like many practising studio artist around, hammed has no formal education, and don’t intend to in the future, but he understands the significance of education. His children are all in school. “I have a lot of responsibility I am carrying; my father, my mother. My brothers and children are all in school. My first child is in SS1 going to SS2 now and my daughter, she is at Ikorodu Modern College. I am the one sponsoring all of them. So for me to start school is going to be very difficult. “I don’t go to school, but I don’t want my children not to go to school,” he said. Hammed, however, thinks that his works would have been of more value if he went to school. “If I had gone to school, I could have been more than this. I go out and when people see my work they tell me that if I went to school I would have gone far.” He does not have access to a good number of clientele unlike other well established artists.
“If you see legendary artist like Kolade Oshinowo, the works we are doing for N50,000 to N70,000, they did it for 5million naira or at least N500,000 or even 2million naira; but one day I will get there. Despite the small diminutive line of work, Hammed has not gone unnoticed. He got the attention of the exgovernor and deputy governor of Lagos state. He has also had contracts with blue chip companies like Shell and people of affluence. Respect and honor has not eluded Hammed, he might not have a national reputation but surely his creative energy and prowess has been visible and recognised with awarded. On his advice to young artist, especially the ones that have similar life experiences like him, Hammed said: “Whatever you are doing in life you have to sit down and be focused, you will always get there.”

newtelegraphonline.com/ive-been-living-on-painting-since-1994-says-hammed

(1) (Reply)

Iiid / Princesino - Rock All Night (to Be Out Soon) / Hello Designers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.