Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,342 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Why Australian Government Said No To Same Sex Marriage - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Australian Government Said No To Same Sex Marriage (548 Views)

Same Sex Marriage Approved In Taiwan / Adorable Video Of Igbo-australian Kids Speaking Igbo with australian accent. / Same Sex Marriage And The Flaw Of Our Argument (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Australian Government Said No To Same Sex Marriage by zieraw2005(m): 9:34am On Aug 12, 2015
www.crimenewsng.com/2015/08/australian-government-says-no-to-same.html?m=1
Same-sex marriage will never be introduced under Tony Abbott’s government in Australia, the country’s Labor party has warned after a free vote on the issue was blocked. The ruling coalition voted by 66 to 33 yesterday to order government MPs to follow the party line and vote against equal marriage, meaning that the law cannot be passed unless a significant number of politicians break ranks. The Prime Minister has warned that under his Liberal Party’s policies, any frontbenchers who defy the agreed position will be sacked. Mr Abbott, who personally opposes gay marriage and trained as a Roman Catholic priest, has offered a referendum on the issue if his government remains in power after the next election, but the outcome would not be binding. “Obviously the fact that we are disposed to put it to the people in the next term of parliament shows that we are open to change, but please let's not underestimate the magnitude of this as a cultural shift,” he said. Bill Shorten, leader of the opposition Labor party, called on all coalition MPs to keep lobbying for a free vote but seemed sceptical. “The choice in this country is you either have Mr Abbott or you have marriage equality but you can't have both,” he said. Demonstrators in Sydney kiss during the rally in support of equal marriage Members of Mr Shorten’s party will not be whipped for any vote on same-sex marriage and he has pledged to introduce legislation making it legal within 100 days of the next election, in the event of a Labor victory. But it is a conservative MP, Warren Entsch, who is due to introduce a new bill to Parliament on Monday to allow same-sex marriage throughout Australia. The backbench politician is a member of the Liberal National Party, part of Abbott’s right-wing coalition, but has cross-party support for the legislation. “I think there will be a handful of people on my side that will vote for this,” Mr Entsch told News Corp Australia. “Absolutely I will be crossing the floor. But even with some support I don’t think the support is there to see it succeed.” Opinion polls suggest that the majority of Australians support equal marriage and supporters were enraged by the latest development in the long-running debate. Many people had hoped that success in the US and Ireland, despite well- publicised opposition, would bring Australia closer to taking the same step. Some television network have refused to carry anti-same-sex marriage advertising and the owners of Canberra’s airport made their feelings known as MPs returned to the capital after a six-week recess on Monday. They arrived to see it illuminated in rainbow colours symbolising LGBT pride as owners joined hundreds of Australian businesses declaring their support for marriage equality.
Re: Why Australian Government Said No To Same Sex Marriage by Mbkite(m): 9:36am On Aug 12, 2015
Ok
Re: Why Australian Government Said No To Same Sex Marriage by Paschal001: 9:36am On Aug 12, 2015
. Catholic Church is the only institution that strongly speak against this nonsense LGBT, it's nice and encouraging that our African leaders especially our baba go slow also stands by the moral standings of our culture
Re: Why Australian Government Said No To Same Sex Marriage by Nobody: 2:06pm On Aug 12, 2015
same sex can happen any where but not in Nigeria if them catch gay na problem talkless of marriage ma catch that guy I go cut him penis idiots

(1) (Reply)

A New Ooni Of Ile-ife Emerges / Come And Celebrate My Culture With Me / MBAISE Carnival2016..www.mbaiseblog.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.