Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,741 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

From A Grateful Heart! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / From A Grateful Heart! (860 Views)

I'm Grateful To God And You All. Thanks For Your Support. / Can You Help Me Do This?? I Will Be Truly Grateful / Mr Gbenga: I Am Grateful And God Bless You For Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

From A Grateful Heart! by Jackeeh(m): 11:30am On Aug 12, 2015
Some time last year, yours truly was invited to a job interview in one of the biggest and best private hospitals in Port Harcourt. Getting to the conference hall of the hospital, I met 9 other Nurses who were there for the same exercise. While waiting, we exchanged pleasantries and became chatty. In the process, I realized I was the least qualified; having just graduated with an RN certificate from a school of nursing . Poor me. Now the fear and doubts descended heavily on me. I asked myself what exactly I thought I was doing in the midst of nurses with BSc, years of working experience, double qualifications etc. Hmmmmmmmm. At some point, I got so discouraged, stood up and left. Getting to the gate, I decided to listen to the inner voice beckoning me to return. I retraced my steps. Soon after, the day's business began. An essay. check. A tough written interview. check. Then the oral interview(I was called in last). Check. it was now time to have a one on one convo with the interviewers; 2 very non-smiling Stern looking ladies. This time I was called in first. "we loved your essay. It was the best we've read here today" . My head swoll and nearly burst open. cool "Was it a real life experience or you made that all up?" . "real life experience, Ma" . and bla bla bla. I was told I was the least qualified. Tell me something I don't already know. My spirits sank! But they were willing to offer me a chance, to gain experience. "thank God", I muttered. "But", she continued, "you would be placed on a 35k salary, for a start" . What? Inner man screaming here. But outwardly, I remained calm, nodded and said it was OK. That all I really needed was the job experience(big fat lie jare) . The other lady asked if I was sure I was OK with the amount, I affirmed I was. The other repeated same question. I still nodded in the affirmative. Hmmmmm. I was asked to call in the next applicant while I waited. Few minutes later, he came out and another went in. He told us how he was offered "rubbish" as salary. "can you imagine? 60k for a start? I told them it's 90k or nothing. I know my worth. Bla bla bla". If only he knew what I was offered. well, he had a higher degree. So I understood his frustration. When all the applicants had been attended to, 4 out of the 10 where called in again. I made the cut. And was called in first again. "Congratulations! You've been offered the job. You and the other 3 will be taken round for an orientation exercise immediately so you can start work on Monday. And also your salary won't be 35k as earlier stated, but.. .... .. . (yea u guessed right. Lol. Twas a higher and far better figure) yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey! "is this new amount OK with you?" she asked. I hid the excitement wella and offered a "Yes Ma". In my mind, I was like, " Back home, my state government don't even pay that much for my level" . And of course, oga 90k was dropped. We later learned that the ladies who interviewed us deliberately reduced the salary figures. Because one of the ladies who had same qualification with the 90k dude was started off on 90k. But according to her, she was initially told it would be 60k(same thing they did to me and oga 90k or nothing . Lol). I can't say why they did so. But I'm glad I didn't fall for that.
Fast forward to last night, I received my salary alert and couldn't stop smiling. It wasn't the usual amount I had been seeing for the past 1 year plus. There was a pleasure giving increase. Lol. At some point I felt there was a mistake. Lol. then I remembered we were promised a salary review after a year. Hmmmmm. I am counting my blessings. I would have missed this if I had stuck to what I felt I was worth back then. today I'm receiving more than what I thought I was worth. and I'm also back in school for my BSc. God is too good.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: From A Grateful Heart! by delishpot: 11:37am On Aug 12, 2015
Happy for you oo. Many more better things your way o

1 Like

Re: From A Grateful Heart! by Nobody: 11:38am On Aug 12, 2015
Praise the Lord

1 Like

Re: From A Grateful Heart! by rayofhope(m): 11:47am On Aug 12, 2015
Am happy for you bro,cheers

1 Like

Re: From A Grateful Heart! by tobybasten(m): 12:59pm On Aug 12, 2015
Oya now! Congrats jare

1 Like

Re: From A Grateful Heart! by ajasa4link: 1:14pm On Aug 12, 2015
Congrats bro.... On a lighter note, so u are telling me u are being paid as a man to handle female yansh all in the name of nursing abi? Ba komi. grin

1 Like

Re: From A Grateful Heart! by Jackeeh(m): 1:23pm On Aug 12, 2015
ajasa4link:
Congrats bro.... On a lighter note, so u are telling me u are being paid as a man to handle female yansh all in the name of nursing abi? Ba komi. grin

cool nursing has evolved bro. U sef. Lol.

(1) (Reply)

Matured Advise / Fresh Graduate And Exp. Job Vacancies At Crestsol Limited / English Teacher Needed in Bariga Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.