Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,095 members, 7,814,845 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

My Nysc Year & Why It Should Be A Voluntary Selective Program - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My Nysc Year & Why It Should Be A Voluntary Selective Program (1273 Views)

My NYSC Year Experiences In The Northern Nigeria / "My NYSC Camp Experience" – Owolabi Ajasa / NYSC May Soon Be Voluntary DG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Nysc Year & Why It Should Be A Voluntary Selective Program by ajeyomiademola: 10:00pm On Aug 13, 2015
I begin to share this view with an analogy of a Visually Impaired father who takes alms on the Street of Lagos. He delights in instructing his unimpaired teenage daughter to take him to the streets for daily begging- they do this all day, meaning the young girl cannot attend learning activities in school. I see a man that is unknowingly mortgaging his past, as well as the present and future success of his daughter. This resonates with what the Federal Government of the Nigerian country is doing with the present and future of the Nigerian Graduates, majority of who aimlessly and unpreparedly engage in the NYSC program, without any constructive aim/goal in mind as regards the gaps and contributions that these supposedly vibrant Graduates should bring to bear in the Nigerian economy.

By 2025, projections has it that the Nigerian Graduates that will be involuntarily enrolled for the National Youth Service Commission (NYSC) scheme will likely amount to about Three Hundred Thousand (300,000) graduate participants. The cost implication of this will be in manifest folds. Here are a few:

1) This means the Federal Government will be coughing out about Six Billion (N6,000,000,000) per month, amounting to approximately Seventy One Billion, Two Hundred and Eighty Million (71,280,000,000) per year. This does not include the administrative costs of the three weeks camping exercise, kitting corps members, payments of NYSC staff, and other variables that has not been included here. This does not factor in issues attached to inflationary pressures that may likely lead to an increase in the monthly Corps members’ allowance from the current N19,800 to about N25,000 or more. It does not also factor in the likelihood of the country devaluing its currency in the future, which may reduce the amount being paid to corps members as allowance, but at commensurate level that will be able to cater for the immediate needs of the corps member.

2) Second, the savings culture of most Nigerian Graduates would have diminished, as many lavishly spend the allowance, since it comes in easy for most corps members. Although, I feel the fund insufficiency for those that are truly sold out to serving conscientiously and assiduously in their assigned Place of Primary Assignment (PPA), especially those in the Federal Government Parastatal, exuding the ideal clarion-call characteristics of the NYSC.

3) The third, which is more inhumane to a large proportion of corps members, is on the value placed on what I call the Free Social Trust Fund (the monthly Allowance). Speaking from a research point of view and as a Non-Graduate Research Assistant of the University of Lagos, a coincidental research discovery on how the monthly allowance is spent by most corps members breaks my heart. This is so pitiful because, before the end of two weeks after the alert beeps on their mobile phones, the funds are no more; not because they have diverted it to savings, investments or fruitful consumption. Only the wise few utilise part of the Free Social Trust Fund for personal development, professional certifications, sharpen their innate skills, develop entrepreneurial set-ups, pay for utilities, make wise investments, etc.

4) On the brink of passing-out, most corps members begin to feel the initial pressures of self-sufficiency; just above the level of that which they felt immediately after graduation from the University. This is because of the over-dependence on the monthly stipend, without any measurable pointers to achieved tasks that amounted to that N19,800 for the month. Hence, many get paid from the Free Social Trust Fund for doing practically nothing.

Going forward, I propose a Voluntary, but Selective National youth Service Program. Why? Many concerned Nigerians have already over flogged the issue of Voluntariness. That is, NYSC should not be made mandatory for all graduates. Rather, it should be made available for select few who indicate interest during their undergraduate level of Year 3 (for a 4 year course), [b]Year 4 (for a Five year course) and Year 5 (for a Six year course). However, it should be Selectively Voluntary. By this, I mean Graduates who desire to serve the Country should be screened on why they want to serve the land. Why do they want to serve in a particular state, what gaps have they identified in that state, how do they intend to bridge the identified gaps and of what relevance is that gap being bridged to the Nigerian state. What language or culture do they wish to learn, why do they desire to learn that language or culture, how will the language or culture learnt be of value to their returning community after the service year? These few questions can be put forward, including some modified ones.

The above will follow a specified proposal template to be filled and submitted to the Student Affairs Division of their University. With this arrangement, there is the tendency that many will like to choose the States where they are likely to get employment opportunities, those close to their residence, and of other personal interests. A way to ameliorate this tendency is to have a quota-based system of enrolling corps members to States. Once a state is full on allocated capacity or once another potential corps member has chosen a proposed project, another candidate cannot be allowed to do same, except in a different location within a State. Hence, when a graduate has a roadmap of what the wants to achieve before leaving for camp, s/he is motivated and expectant of adding value and receiving commensurate or motivational benefits for work done. NYSC year should not be treated as a relaxation year as many corps members treat it – If continued in that regard, we will only be plotting a doomsday for the Country, where hungry and angry Corpers may join forces to conspire public unrest.

This platform will put all staff of the NYSC on their toes, of course in a very productive manner, as they will be very much involved with screening the proposals submitted by the prospective corps members.

The whole rationale for the above is to help prospective corps members gain essence and specific, but measurable purpose from serving their motherland.

I Write as a Mainland Local Government Corps member in the Reforms & Servicom Group. It has been my desire to see changes in the way and approach that we run our systems in Nigeria. Until we continuously reform, modify and change how we run our systems, we will only continue to have the same degenerated products and results from our systems.

God HAS blessed Nigeria…. We only need to take CHARGE and be responsible for our actions and inaction - those of our heroes past and today.

I welcome and look forward to a constructive critique of this piece, as we must consciously strive to enlighten our youths and make them highly engaged and productive.

Ademola AJEYOMI.
HR/Business Analyst
Re: My Nysc Year & Why It Should Be A Voluntary Selective Program by ATMC(f): 10:24pm On Aug 13, 2015
#claps
If FG makes NYSC voluntary, Many won't be conversant with their country.
A lot others may not ever be exposed to the paramilitary training in camp before the Primary Assignment .
Some others will miss their spouses some are pre destined to meet their significant other then.
Most importantly, some students won't ever be taught.
When there is need for national projects like election, voter's card distribution and the likes, there may not be trust worthy people who will be willing to accept 'small pay' and yet do the job well.
Above all, if you are extravagant, it is your nature, NYSC or No NYSC, you will be you.
Re: My Nysc Year & Why It Should Be A Voluntary Selective Program by Nobody: 8:25am On Aug 16, 2015
ATMC:
#claps
If FG makes NYSC voluntary, Many won't be conversant with their country.

Quite true. Many wouldn't be exposed to life outside their comfort zone. But of what good is this at the long run? undecided

ATMC:
A lot others may not ever be exposed to the paramilitary training in camp before the Primary Assignment.

The Paramilitary Training could be made compulsory.

ATMC:

Some others will miss their spouses some are pre destined to meet their significant other then.

This I must admit is not the most intelligent post from you lipsrsealed

ATMC:

Most importantly, some students won't ever be taught

Why in the first place should the government take advantage of us? Before any government facility is instituted, enough thought should have gone to its sustainability. Using graduate to solely run government schools is some part of the country is a low blow from the government.

ATMC:

When there is need for national projects like election, voter's card distribution and the likes, there may not be trust worthy people who will be willing to accept 'small pay' and yet do the job well.

I laugh in polar form grin grin
That you're willing to accept less doesn't make your service better. Nigerian youths are very smart, and corrupt. A number of my friends helped political parties rig in the last general election. Of what good is that?

The NYSC has its pros, and cons. We need to weigh both and come to a reasonable conclusion.

(1) (Reply)

Hurray, Allowee Is Now 33k / Opportunities For NYSC Corp Members / The 7 Stages Of Heartbreak When Your Call-up Letter Comes Out.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.