Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,230 members, 7,811,642 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring (1581 Views)

How Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus Beats Iphone X / 12 Times Autocorrect Went Wrong / How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by dsnet: 1:55pm On Aug 14, 2015
From MobilityArena.com, Mister Mobility writes:

Samsung rode on the wave of the iPhone to success. The Asian tiger rose to Android dominance by copying the design cues of the iPhone for its Galaxy S series and it paid off handsomely. That was in the beginning. Samsung became a blazing brand in mobile and quickly became the dominant power. They still are, but the flame is not burning so bright anymore.

Photocopy ko (is not) easy
For one, it seems that Samsung has gotten it into their head that copying the iPhone to the hilt is the way forward perpetually. Copying the visual design cues of the iPhone was okay. But now forging ahead in copying the limitations of the Appleā€™s cool aid in their flagship devices is downright silly. No micro SD card. No removable battery. Duh. Very soon, perhaps Samsung will remove multitasking and skin TouchWiz to run like iOS does.

But here is the deal: Android is not iOS. And the average Android user is not like the average iOS user. Android is about freedom and flexibility. For one, the freedom to choose how the user stores files and when to change their battery.

But that's not all. Read more
Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by ChappyChase: 2:19pm On Aug 14, 2015
Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by Craven: 3:54pm On Aug 14, 2015
I stopped reading after the first two paragraphs. This is obviously a biased view.
Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by kazzonline: 8:07pm On Aug 14, 2015
Craven:
I stopped reading after the first two paragraphs. This is obviously a biased view.

Actually to be honest it is a very true fact,they are trying hard to be like apple,i am a strong samsung/android fan,and there is a reason i hate aple products,now samsung is going down that path fast!! Hp dey gey back to there senses
Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by xtervaganza(m): 8:34pm On Aug 14, 2015
what an irresponsibly stupid topic

what about when icopy icrap copied Samsung?
Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by kowalsky: 9:33pm On Aug 14, 2015
really naive. Very naive. The ditch of a removable bat and micro sd wer necessary for improved fone aesthetics and stability.
Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 14, 2015
kazzonline:

Actually to be honest it is a very true fact,they are trying hard to be like apple,i am a strong samsung/android fan,and there is a reason i hate aple products,now samsung is going down that path fast!! Hp dey gey back to there senses

Explain hw they re trying to be like Apple
Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by donhils: 11:55pm On Aug 14, 2015
ollah1:

Explain hw they re trying to be like Apple
Are you the only one that haven't noticed?
Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by Craven: 12:38am On Aug 15, 2015
kazzonline:

Apple also ripped off other ideas from other products. It's not like they are so self-righteous themselves. This is the world of technology we are talking about. Brands copy each other all the time. There is nothing new there.

But that is not the point. The poster above complained about non-removable batteries and the lack of a microSD slot. He failed to address that this is a recent development in the smartphone world. We've moved from a world where the thickness of a phone was 2cm to one where a phone's thickness is less than 6mm. For a phone to be that slim, certain adjustments need to be made, certain parts need to be improved. The non-removable battery is a perfect example. They are thinner than removable batteries (they come bare and without any coating since there would be no need to take them out), and as a result, they make it possible for phones to have sleek and thin designs.

There is a reason for every development in technology. Read about them before you start jumping into conclusions.

3 Likes

Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by ITbomb(m): 12:41am On Aug 15, 2015
Very true. Sammies are becoming very limited and guys are running from it just like they did to iPhone
Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by Nobody: 7:32am On Aug 15, 2015
donhils:

Are you the only one that haven't noticed?

Notice what? Is it hard to explain if u really have points
Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 15, 2015
Craven:

Apple also ripped off other ideas from other products. It's not like they are so self-righteous themselves. This is the world of technology we are talking about. Brands copy each other all the time. There is nothing new there.

But that is not the point. The poster above complained about non-removable batteries and the lack of a microSD slot. He failed to address that this is a recent development in the smartphone world. We've moved from a world where the thickness of a phone was 2cm to one where a phone's thickness is less than 6mm. For a phone to be that slim, certain adjustments need to be made, certain parts need to be improved. The non-removable battery is a perfect example. They are thinner than removable batteries (they come bare and without any coating since there would be no need to take them out), and as a result, they make it possible for phones to have sleek and thin designs.

There is a reason for every development in technology. Read about them before you start jumping into conclusions.

Don't mind those apple as* lickers that no nothing, to them Apple is the king od innovation and they actually never innovated anything since the demise of Steve jobs.

Only LG is the top OEM that still produces phones with removable back. Regarding sd cards, UFS 2.0 is taking over. Samsung went upto 14nm with their Exynos SOC, when Qualcomm releases SD820 it wld also be UFS 2.0 enabled or the upgraded version.

Huawei also lined it up in their next top shelf SOC. These moves eliminates SD cards, meaning SD cards wld be relegated to mid range and low end phones

High ends are meant to be super fast and Super smooth but sd card ruins that. Argue constructively next time to the posters that know nothing

1 Like

Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by kowalsky: 7:49am On Aug 15, 2015
ITbomb:
Very true. Sammies are becoming very limited and guys are running from it just like they did to iPhone

Really, like they did for iphone?
last sales of the iphone 6 and 6+ made apple the most profitable company that ever existed.
I dont seem to get how pple are running away from apple.

1 Like

Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by Ijaya123: 8:33am On Aug 15, 2015
The OP is absolutely correct. Samsung has always been trying to be like the iPhone but I guess that strategy isn't working anymore cause consumers now know better. Samsung simply copied the iPhone and made theirs bigger. For those Samsung fanboys who think otherwise, I always tell people, nobody argues with result. Go check Samsung H1 result and compare with Apple.
Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by threadstone(m): 9:29am On Aug 15, 2015
Sometimes we Nigerians just rant on needless issues not neccessarily applicable to our system..

Issues like nfc, lte bla bla bla

I havent seen a flagship owner with extra batteries. And yes i know a lot of them (my business). In the era of wireless charging and ulmighty powerbank retailers. Point 1 may not be valid.

2 32gb is a pretty decent storage for the above average user when a census will show most people below the 8gb storage sd cards.. Tbh unless ure a techiee or heavy gamer, 32gb should be enough..
U can also purchase the 64gb version too..

Cloud Storage should be the major concern with respect to how costly our dat sub is, but it doesnt work over there
Its hard copying aesthetics from one oem to another.. Like Craven said,The thinner the phone gets, some components have to give way, in a not so distant future, i fear our sim slots will be deemed taking too much real estate in the hardware. Expect the next generation S series and Note series to be much better. But the s6 edge is a damn cute phone.

@op ive seen discussions identical to this on xda.. It will pass
Photocopy ko easy

If its not an iPhone, its not an iPhone.
IOS 8.4 4.7'

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by Craven: 9:52am On Aug 15, 2015
Ijaya123:
The OP is absolutely correct. Samsung has always been trying to be like the iPhone but I guess that strategy isn't working anymore cause consumers now know better. Samsung simply copied the iPhone and made theirs bigger. For those Samsung fanboys who think otherwise, I always tell people, nobody argues with result. Go check Samsung H1 result and compare with Apple.

Please give me at least three things Samsung copied from Apple. I'd like to know.

1 Like

Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by Ijaya123: 12:26pm On Aug 15, 2015
Craven:

Please give me at least three things Samsung copied from Apple. I'd like to know.

Samsung didn't copy 3 things from iPhone. Samsung CEO few years back sent an internal memo to his design team to go copy everything about the iPhone. If you're in doubt, you might want to google that fact.
Why do you think the court awarded $1billion worth of damages to Apple 3 years ago?

I also challenge you to show me Samsung phones before the first iPhone came out in 2007.
Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by Craven: 1:37pm On Aug 15, 2015
Ijaya123

So you're saying Samsung ripped off iPhone's designs. Alright. Great.

Now, did you know the designs of Apple products were inspired by Braun's products? Steve Jobs once said that he admired the works of Braun's designer and as it appears, this admiration is reflected on Apple products. In other words they copied. - http://www.cultofmac.com/188753/the-braun-products-that-inspired-apples-iconic-designs-gallery/

Also, a Chinese phone company has claimed the design of the iPhone 6 was ripped off from one of their phones. The designs of the iPhone 6 looks pretty similar to that of the Chinese company's product. - http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/12/03/did-apples-iphone-6-copy-this-chinese-companys-design/ People have also come out to say the Apple watch copied Samsung.

Apple is popularly known for calling out companies such as Samsung and Xiaomi for copying their designs. But they are major copycats themselves. Like I said, it's normal for tech companies to rip each other off. It's their way of competing. And this is common knowledge in the world of technology. But you won't know that because you've chosen to listen to Apple's side of the story while ignoring the other side.

Because Apple pointed fingers first doesn't make them pristine. They copy too.

1 Like

Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by Youngpo413: 3:28pm On Aug 15, 2015
Samsung,iphone,non of my business,all I know is microsoft and their cute lumia smartphones.
Re: How Samsung Went From Exciting To Uninspiring by Ijaya123: 11:34pm On Aug 15, 2015
Craven:
Ijaya123

So you're saying Samsung ripped off iPhone's designs. Alright. Great.

Now, did you know the designs of Apple products were inspired by Braun's products? Steve Jobs once said that he admired the works of Braun's designer and as it appears, this admiration is reflected on Apple products. In other words they copied. - http://www.cultofmac.com/188753/the-braun-products-that-inspired-apples-iconic-designs-gallery/

Also, a Chinese phone company has claimed the design of the iPhone 6 was ripped off from one of their phones. The designs of the iPhone 6 looks pretty similar to that of the Chinese company's product. - http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/12/03/did-apples-iphone-6-copy-this-chinese-companys-design/ People have also come out to say the Apple watch copied Samsung.

Apple is popularly known for calling out companies such as Samsung and Xiaomi for copying their designs. But they are major copycats themselves. Like I said, it's normal for tech companies to rip each other off. It's their way of competing. And this is common knowledge in the world of technology. But you won't know that because you've chosen to listen to Apple's side of the story while ignoring the other side.

Because Apple pointed fingers first doesn't make them pristine. They copy too.

This is pretty well understood. Back to the topic, it still doesn't change the fact that Samsung lavishly copied the iPhone which was hugely responsible for the success recorded in the recent past. Will love Samsung to surprise me with a game changer here.

(1) (Reply)

Full List Of New And Amazing Features Added On Whatsapp / Clean Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro For Sale / Need A Wholesale For A Smart Watch With Sim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.