Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,002 members, 7,952,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:53 AM

Healthy Choice You Should Make. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Healthy Choice You Should Make. (632 Views)

7 Finger Foods That Should Make It Into Nigerian Small Chops In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Healthy Choice You Should Make. by Dedoo(f): 3:13pm On Aug 15, 2015
So I decided to do a post about my Sweet Sweet potato, it will interest you to know that these are packed with immune boosting and disease preventing nutrients.
In my home town this is a staple food that can be eaten at any time of the day. Many people are unaware of the countless benefits this humble root has to offer. Although it is native to south America I'm not sure they dig it as much as we do.
Sweet potato is a carbohydrate very low in calories and contains NO cholesterol and saturated fats. They are an excellent source of micro nutrients such as manganese, iron, vitamins B calcium, potassium. Although these elements are required in minute quantities they play very crucial roles in human nutrition.
Sweet potatoes are a rich source of antioxidants such as vitamins A and C. Antioxidants are substances that inhibit cell damage due to oxygen and caused by free radicals, these free radicals are capable of attacking healthy cells leading to cell damage, disease or even severe disorder. Free radicals have also been indicated as a leading cause of premature ageing, cancer, declining brain function and immune system, heart disease etc. Vitamin A deficiency is also a leading cause of preventable blindness.
Regardless of the name, Sweet potato are low in sugars and sodium making an excellent choice of food for diabetics and hypertensive patients.
Like other plant foods they are a source of fiber, this is important in preventing constipation and colon cancer.
It's important to note that a bulk of these nutrients are deposited beneath the sweet potato skin so it's important to cook with the skin, this way you are sure of getting the full benefits. Also add sweet potatoes to boiling water to shorten cooking time and prevent nutrient leaching.
Sweet potatoes are a healthy choice readily available and affordable. They are also versatile as they do not discriminate again any cooking methods, they can be fried, boiled roasted, baked. Mashed potatoes are a perfect weaning food.
It's important to note that sweet potatoes are also used as subtle sweetener, processed into flour and used for pastries production.
If you are looking for healthy options or dieting, working on losing weight or just eating right choose my Sweet sweet potatoes.

(1) (Reply)

Cheese Toast / void / About The Frozen Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.