Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,877 members, 7,828,121 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations (967 Views)

Contradictions In The Bible — Why Are They There? / thousands of Errors And Contradictions In The Quran and Hadith / D (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by Rapmoney(m): 12:08am On Aug 16, 2015
1)#Is God good to all or just a few?#:

PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

2)#A God of War or Peace?#:

EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

3)#Who is the father of Joseph?# (Jesus father):

Who is the father of Joseph?

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

4)#Is Jesus lesser or equal to God?#:

Is Jesus equal to or lesser than?

JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

5)#Which was first created? Beast or man?#:

Which first--beasts or man?

GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
GEN 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

GEN 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
GEN 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

6)#Is it folly to be wise or not?#:

s it folly to be wise or not?

PRO 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

ECC 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

1CO 1:19: "For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent."

7)#The personality of Moses#:

Moses' personality

NUM 12:3: "Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth."

NUM 31:14, 17, 18: "And Moses was wroth...And Moses said unto them, "Have ye saved all the women alive? ... Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman, ... But all the women children ... keep alive for yourselves."

8.#Jesus last word#:

Jesus' last words

MAT 27:46,50: "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost."

LUK 23:46: "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost."

JOH 19:30: "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."

9)#Can God be seen?#:

God be seen?

EXO 24:9,10; AMO 9:1; GEN 26:2; and JOH 14:9
God CAN be seen:
"And I will take away my hand, and thou shalt see my backparts." (EXO 33:23)
"And the Lord spake to Moses face to face, as a man speaketh to his friend." (EXO 33:11)
"For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." (GEN 32:30)

God CANNOT be seen:
"No man hath seen God at any time." (JOH 1:18)
"And he said, Thou canst not see my face; for there shall no man see me and live." (EXO 33:20)
"Whom no man hath seen nor can see." (1TIM 6:16)

10)#How did Judas die?#:

Judas died how?

"And he (Judas) cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. And the chief priests...bought with them the potter's field." (MAT 27:5)

"Now this man (Judas) purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out." (ACT 1:18)

http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by ladyF(f): 12:13am On Aug 16, 2015
Scholars in the house......??

1 Like

Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by Rapmoney(m): 12:18am On Aug 16, 2015
ladyF:
Scholars in the house......??
Yeah, the religious scholars! Pastors, bishops, reverened, etc!!!

1 Like

Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by baadejoko: 12:22am On Aug 16, 2015
Ehen Today is sunday
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by Bakrabas: 12:27am On Aug 16, 2015
where is truthman and his pastorpreneur cohorts

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by Rapmoney(m): 12:32am On Aug 16, 2015
Does it mean the people that wrote the Bible were not actually inspired by God as it has been claimed or they were selfishly motivated to write what they wrote?

1 Like

Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by Raemhure001(m): 12:53am On Aug 16, 2015
So what's ya point?
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by menesheh(m): 3:47am On Aug 16, 2015
Exodus 20:13
"You shall not murder (kill)

Contradiction

For some Canaanite cities, only the men should be killed (Deut 20:12-15). Here, God specifically commands Israel not to kill the women, children, and livestock.
In the case of other cities, God commanded that the men, women, and children be killed
(Deut 20:16-18). Specifically, these are the “Hethites, and the Amorrhites, and the Chanaanites, the Pherezites, and the Hevites, and the Jebusites.”
In the case of the Amalakites, the worst enemies of Israel, God commanded that the men, women, children, and livestock be killed (1 Sam 15:3-23).

Same god sent out same people he commanded not kill to commit murder and genocide.
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by Nobody: 6:30am On Aug 16, 2015
Lol
that old story book?
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by malvisguy212: 7:01am On Aug 16, 2015
Rapmoney
1.God is good to all people.Jeremiah was talking about God warning against Jerusalem, if they do not change.
2.there is no contradiction, for God to battle for peace and clean up unrighteousness.
3.Matthew, uses the expression "son of" (in Lk 3:23) or "begat" (in Mt1:16) in a strictly legal and genealogical sense rather than in a strictly literal sense, since Joseph, the husband of Mary, could not be the literal son of both Heli
and Jacob.This seeming discrepancy has been explained on the basis that Luke presents Jesus as the actual blood descendant of David through Mary ( Rom1:3, 4), but without listing Mary as a link in the chain of progenitors, whereas Matthew gives the royal and legal line of descent through Joseph, who was Jesus’ father by Jewish law.
Joseph could have been the literal son of either Jacob or Heli and the adopted son of the other, perhaps through a levirate marriage by either.
4.The term "better" refers to nature, not position. Here is a good example in
illustrating this passage.The President is greater than you or I, correct? Yes, as Chief Executive Officer of the United
States he is greater than you or I. But, is the President better than you or I? What I mean is, is there anything about the
President that makes him a superior being to you or me? No. If Jesus wanted to say He was inferior to God in nature,
He would have said, "The Father is better than I."Here is a biblical example of the use of the term "better" in
Hebrews 1:4, "Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent
name than they." Here we see that Jesus is a being superior to the angels, so the term "better" is used. Therefore, the Father is greater than Jesus, His son, in power, but Jesus is equal to him in
spirit and in nature.
5.order to understand the meaning of
any text, you must understand it's
purpose. If you don't understand why a
bit of text was written, you are quite
likely to come away with a bad
understanding of what it means.

In this case your question assumes a
mis-understanding of the purpose of the
two texts in question. If you correct that
understanding, it becomes apparent that
there is actually no contradiction and
nothing that needs resolving from an
inerrancy standpoint.

The two chapters you quote from in
Genesis serve slightly different purposes.
It is quite common on ancient Hebrew
literature to repeat parts of a story in
different ways to draw out different
points.In this case one passage tells us
something about the Chronology of
events, the second goes on to give us
another event that happens to be
sandwiched inbetween the last steps of
the first event that includes some
additional commentary.
If you want to know in what order things
were created, Genesis 1 should be your
guide.

In Genesis 2, we find out that that
(presumably about day 6) God was trying
to show Adam that his own personal
help-mate was going to be a different
kind of creature than the animals, so
after he makes Adam but before he
makes Eve he parades the rest of the
created order before Adam and
demonstrates that none of them are like
he is. The animals are not made on the
spot, there is just a bit of commentary
that reminds us that they were created
out of the ground. In the process, all the
animals get names.

But then we go on to the creation of Eve,
made not out of the ground but out of
Adam's flesh. This second chapter helps
us establish some order or rank to
creation as well as lay the foundation
for its purpose, not re-sequence the
events of creation.

To be continue...
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by malvisguy212: 7:43am On Aug 16, 2015
Rapmoney.
6.wisdom is not an asset , is a burden to bear, everyday you logging to nairaland and find soo many foolish topics,its a burden to explained it to a harden man like you.
7.Moses was a 'meek' man and in number 31 it was God himself who sanctioned the command because the people Moses was to kill ,they worship idols and sacrifice their sons and daughter to there gods.
8. This does not show a contradiction any more than two witnesses to an accident at an intersection will come up with two different scenarios of that accident, depending on where they stood. Neither witness would be incorrect, as they describe the event from a different perspective. Luke was not a witness to the event, and so is dependent on those who were there. John was a witness. What they are both relating, however, is that at the end Jesus gave himself up to death.
It could be said that Luke used the last
words that he felt were necessary for his
gospel account, which concentrated on
the humanity of Christ (noted in the
earlier question), while John, as well as
quoting the last words of Jesus, was
interested in the fulfilment of the salvific message, and so quoted the last phrase “it is finished”.
John 17:4 records Jesus’ prayer to the
Father in the light of Christ’s forthcoming crucifixion, stating that He had completed the work of revelation (John 1:18), and since revelation is a particular stress of the Gospel of John, and the cross is the consummation of that commission (John 3:16), it is natural that this Gospel should centre on tetelestai. At any rate, if Jesus said ‘It is finished; Father into your hands I commit my spirit’ or vice versa, it would be quite in order to record either clause of this sentence, his last words. Luke-Acts reaches its conclusion without any
climax, because the continuing ministry
of the exalted Christ through the Holy
Spirit and the Church has no ending
prior to the Parousia, and to record
tetelestai might have undermined this
emphasis, or it could have been taken
the wrong way. At any rate, no contradiction is involved; purely a
distinction of emphasis.
9.God didn't literally talk face to face with Moses, for no man can see God's face and live (Exodus 33:20). This is a
figurative expression intended to convey the intimacy of their relationship that is captured in the phrase,"as a man speaketh unto his friend" (verse 11).
Exodus 33:11 intimates not only that God revealed himself to Moses with greater clearness than to any other of the prophets, but also with greater
expressions of particular kindness than to any other.He spake not as a prince to a subject, but as a man to his friend, whom he loves,and with whom he takes sweet counsel.
The communications made by God to Moses were not by visions, ecstacies, dreams, inward inspirations, or the
mediation of angels, but with familiarity and confidence with which the Divine Being treated his servant.
10.This alleged contradiction is related to the fact that Matthew in his Gospel
speaks of Judas hanging himself but in
Acts 1:18 Luke speaks about Judas falling headlong and his innards gushing out. However both of these statements are true.
Matthew 27:1-10 mentioned the fact that Judas died by hanging himself in order to be strictly factual. Luke, however in his report in Acts1:18-19 wants to cause the feeling of revulsion among his readers, for the field spoken about and for Judas, and nowhere denies that Judas died by hanging. According to tradition, it would seem that Judas hanged himself on the edge of a cliff, above the Valley of Hinnom. Eventually the rope snapped, was cut or untied and Judas fell upon the field below as described by Luke.
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by malvisguy212: 7:48am On Aug 16, 2015
menesheh:
Exodus 20:13
"You shall not murder (kill)

Contradiction

For some Canaanite cities, only the men should be killed (Deut 20:12-15). Here, God specifically commands Israel not to kill the women, children, and livestock.
In the case of other cities, God commanded that the men, women, and children be killed
(Deut 20:16-18). Specifically, these are the “Hethites, and the Amorrhites, and the Chanaanites, the Pherezites, and the Hevites, and the Jebusites.”
In the case of the Amalakites, the worst enemies of Israel, God commanded that the men, women, children, and livestock be killed (1 Sam 15:3-23).

Same god sent out same people he commanded not kill to commit murder and genocide.

The commandment "Thou shalt
not kill" is really not as general as the King James version would indicate. The commandment actually refers to premeditated, unjustified killing - murder. Although God ordered the
extermination of entire cities, He did so
in righteous judgment on a people
whose corruption had led to extreme
wickedness, including child sacrifice. Did God destroy the righteous along with the wicked? In an exchange with Abraham, God indicated that He would spare the wicked to save the righteous. He demonstrated this principle by saving righteous people from Sodom and Jericho prior to their destruction. The charge that God indiscriminately
murdered people does not hold to to
critical evaluation of the biblical texts.
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by menesheh(m): 8:21am On Aug 16, 2015
malvisguy212:
The commandment "Thou shalt
not kill" is really not as general as the King James version would indicate. The commandment actually refers to premeditated, unjustified killing - murder. Although God ordered the
extermination of entire cities, He did so
in righteous judgment on a people
whose corruption had led to extreme
wickedness, including child sacrifice. Did God destroy the righteous along with the wicked? In an exchange with Abraham, God indicated that He would spare the wicked to save the righteous. He demonstrated this principle by saving righteous people from Sodom and Jericho prior to their destruction. The charge that God indiscriminately
murdered people does not hold to to
critical evaluation of the biblical texts.

Bro, i hate it when one quote me and start blind shielding and protecting a clearly written statement in a book that is open to all. The bible said "thou shall not kill" and didn't add any other words or statements, like when to kill or the kind of people to kill.
What premeditated or unjust killing was that? Are you creating your own model of christainity by adding more phrase to already established model in order to do away with the hideous contents of the bible. Your statement shows the kind of person you are and your immorality level.

Infact, is it justifiable in any way to kill your fellow human?
Why can't god kill those people himself with his superpower rather than resort to using the people he commanded not to kill to perpetrate such act?

This is the problem, when you start teaching children this and continue lying to them about a nonsensical laws in the name of benevolence, you have to start imagining the kind of confusion you are injecting into such young minds and how the end product might look like.
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by malvisguy212: 9:19am On Aug 16, 2015
menesheh:

Bro, i hate it when one quote me and start blind shielding and protecting a clearly written statement in a book that is open to all. The bible said "thou shall not kill" and didn't add any other words or statements, like when to kill or the kind of people to kill.
What premeditated or unjust killing was that? Are you creating your own model of christainity by adding more phrase to already established model in order to do away with the hideous contents of the bible. Your statement shows the kind of person you are and your immorality level.

Infact, is it justifiable in any way to kill your fellow human?
Why can't god kill those people himself with his superpower rather than resort to using the people he commanded not to kill to perpetrate such act?

This is the problem, when you start teaching children this and continue lying to them about a nonsensical laws in the name of benevolence, you have to start imagining the kind of confusion you are injecting into such young minds and how the end product might look like.
are you guys insane? How can one tamed the killing of a wicked generation wrong?you are not qualify to teach the word of God because according to you and others atheists, a single verse can explained the WHOLE context of the bible.
Note: don't rush and read this.
IS ALL KILING THE SAME?
One thing you have to love about atheists is their extreme appreciation for the King James Version (KJV) translation.The KJV was translated in the early 17th century using an archaic form of modern English. In the last 400 years, the English language has changed significantly. Unfortunately, the vast majority of those who read the KJV (both believers and unbelievers) are unqualified to know what the text means in many instances because of word meaning changes. In attempting to demonstrate the contradiction of God's commands to Israel and the sixth commandment, atheist cite the KJV translation, "Thou shalt not kill."

However, like English, Hebrew, the
language in which most of the Old
Testament was written, uses different
words for intentional vs. unintentional
killing. The verse translated "Thou shalt
not kill" in the KJV translation, is
translated "You shall not murder" in
modern translations - because these
translations represents the real meaning of the Hebrew text. The Bible in Basic English translates the phrase, "Do not put anyone to death without cause."The Hebrew word used here is ratsach, which nearly always refers to intentional killing without cause (unless indicated otherwise by context). Hebrew law recognized accidental killing as not
punishable. In fact, specific cities were
designated as "cities of refuge," so that
an unintentional killer could flee to
escape retribution. The Hebrew word
for "kill" in this instance is not ratsach,
but nakah, which can refer to either
premeditated or unintentional killing,
depending upon context. Other Hebrew
words also can refer to killing the
punishment for murder was the death
sentence. However, to be convicted,
there needed to be at least two
eyewitnesses.The Bible also prescribes that people have a right to defend themselves against attack and use deadly force if necessary.

IS GOD KILLING JUSTIFIED?
To answer the question whether God
breaks His own commandments, we
need to determine if God committed
murder (i.e., killed people without cause)
The Bible is quite clear that God has
killed people directly (the most
prominent example being the flood) and indirectly (ordered peoples to be killed).If God ordered or participated in the killing of innocent people, then He would be guilty of murder. So bring your evidence if God had ever kill a single innocent soul.
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by menesheh(m): 10:09am On Aug 16, 2015
malvisguy212:
are you guys insane? How can one tamed the killing of a wicked generation wrong?

You are telling me "Don't rush and read this" but look at your first statement above. Sorry for you.

Tell me that particular generation that are not wicked. Even in the bible, the children of Israelites have been a wicked generation from worshipping false god against their God's will, rape (david and the war front), infact are there even any need to start mentioning them, you know them.

Why not god kill the Israelites and your generations too for wickedness. How do you know they are wicked of which such wickedness have not been perpetrated by those you claimed are gods own people.
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by malvisguy212: 10:48am On Aug 16, 2015
menesheh:

You are telling me "Don't rush and read this" but look at your first statement above. Sorry for you.

Tell me that particular generation that are not wicked. Even in the bible, the children of Israelites have been a wicked generation from worshipping false god against their God's will, rape (david and the war front), infact are there even any need to start mentioning them, you know them.

Why not god kill the Israelites and your generations too for wickedness. How do you know they are wicked of which such wickedness have not been perpetrated by those you claimed are gods own people.
now I know, you are being manipulated by satan, when the children of isreal disobeyed God, God send serpent to bite and kill them. In the desert , the children of isreal disobeyed God and God punished them for that, many of them died. During the time of Gideon , God abandoned the isrealite almost 300 years letter, he send Gideon , by then most of them should be dead. Infacte the children of isreal that went into slavery in Egypt, most of them did not enter the promise land due to disobedient to God. You need to go back and read the bible.
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by foxe(m): 11:47am On Aug 16, 2015
wow...only 10 contradictions......gods willing I will show 1000 contradictions from your own quran
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by menesheh(m): 11:47am On Aug 16, 2015
malvisguy212:
now I know, you are being manipulated by satan, when the children of isreal disobeyed God, God send serpent to bite and kill them. In the desert , the children of isreal disobeyed God and God punished them for that, many of them died. During the time of Gideon , God abandoned the isrealite almost 300 years letter, he send Gideon , by then most of them should be dead. Infacte the children of isreal that went into slavery in Egypt, most of them did not enter the promise land due to disobedient to God. You need to go back and read the bible.

I will not doubt you that i wasn't under the manipulation of your fantasy satan until the time you define and show me how such thing as satan is, where it's existing, its manipulative mechanism and how you identify persons under the influence. If not, such satan is only existing in your tiny brain and in your tiny reasoning capacity.

Go, open your head and read your imagery bible, created my cave dwellers, sheep rearing tribe in middle east and Roman empire, to ascertain the nonsensical and silly content of it. Am done.
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by foxe(m): 11:48am On Aug 16, 2015
wow...only 10 contradictions......gods willing I will show you1000 contradictions from your own quran
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by Teewhyraul(m): 12:25pm On Aug 16, 2015
foxe:
wow...only 10 contradictions......gods willing I will show you1000 contradictions from your own quran

Now, I see how smart you jump into conclusions, because he showed you contradictions in the Bible, he's automatically a Muslim.
You need some serious chill pill.

And before you bring Contradictions in the Quran, do yourself sanity a big favor, learn the language of the Quran first (Arabic) and we can discuss.
At least that will give you a lot more intelligent stance than most of your friends who have towed the same line, because the translation of anything in another language doesn't depict it 100%.

When you are ready babe, I'm ready
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by omasco92(m): 12:29pm On Aug 16, 2015
This is just what I have for you.

The Word of God is just a speech to you. You need the Holy spirit to guard you.

John 8:46
Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot
hear my word.

1cor. 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God:
for they are foolishness unto him:
neither can he know them,
because they are spiritually
discerned.
Take a good look at this picture. We wrestle not against flesh and blood.

Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by God2man(m): 1:51pm On Aug 16, 2015
Over flogged thread again.
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by Rapmoney(m): 3:10pm On Aug 16, 2015
Teewhyraul:

Now, I see how smart you jump into conclusions, because he showed you contradictions in the Bible, he's automatically a Muslim.
You need some serious chill pill.

And before you bring Contradictions in the Quran, do yourself sanity a big favor, learn the language of the Quran first (Arabic) and we can discuss.
At least that will give you a lot more intelligent stance than most of your friends who have towed the same line, because the translation of anything in another language doesn't depict it 100%.

When you are ready babe, I'm ready
To her, bringing out contradictions from the bible, makes me a muslim!!! cool
Re: 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 16, 2015
the problem here is simply "mis-understood contexts". When you fail the context,You fail it all.

(1) (Reply)

Why Jesus Is White? / Heaven And Hell Is Not A Myth / Updates About The 'sacrificial Giving' Card From RCCG Region 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.