Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,649 members, 7,809,453 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:55 AM

The Unprepared Fantasy Paradise Called Biafra. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Unprepared Fantasy Paradise Called Biafra. (825 Views)

Memoirs Of Blood And Steel ( A Fantasy Novel) / Will You Meet Me In Paradise? The Story Of David / Almost Paradise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Unprepared Fantasy Paradise Called Biafra. by shumuel(m): 4:34pm On Aug 16, 2015
The Unprepared Fantasy Paradise Called Biafra; An Eye Opener For Igbo Youths By Emeka Ubesie.

The euphoria of the actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra has become an outlandish symphony, that most young
Igbos have decided to dance to under a shimmering hot sun in this 21st century, without a proper assessment of the benefits
and upshot of dancing to such a fatal song of this tempo, at the wrong time.

I’m an Igbo man, whose ancestors had played a vital role in preserving the heritage of the Igbo culture and values, in the little way they could and I’m proud to say here that most of my fallen ancestors that had gone to the world beyond, participated
actively in the Biafra Civil War, which was led by Ojukwu in 1967-1970. I wasn’t in existence at that time, but rather, I was privileged to cohabit with some intelligent
homo sapiens that fought the war for years and the experiences they garnered, were bequeathed in my consciousness. I’m one of those million lucky young Igbos that were fortunate to hear the Biafra War story from the orifice of some of our ancestors that pulled the trigger, right in the battle field and even participated in the building of the so called ‘’Ogbunigwe,’’ the local bomb.

My father told me his own version of the Biafra War story when I was younger, of how he fought the war, alongside his brothers at a very tender age. Tony Ubesie, one of my ancestors of a blessed memory, who later became a Captain in the Biafra Army at the age of eighteen, also had his own account of the war. Tony was among the few individuals that were opportune to pass through the four walls of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka after the war, where he studied Igbo linguistics from 1976-1980 and I’m so pleased to have navigated through the same walls and also partook from the same ‘’Lions Heritage,’’ just as he did. He was later nicknamed Bullet, a.k.a Ukpaka Gbagburu Enyi, during the war. Tony dropped an Igbo novel that was titled ‘’Juo Obinna,’’ after the Civil War and this wasn’t his only novel anyway. Through this novel, he was able to decipher gently, his experience during the Biafra War and this well narrated, explicit and articulated master piece was published by Oxford University Press in 1977, if my memory still serves me right. I believe that most of these young
Igbos that are busy clamouring for the State of Biafra at this virgin period have not read a single book that told the story of our Civil War. Most of them cannot even speak our native language (Igbo), let alone reading it - what a shame.

I never wanted to embark on this writing escapade, but my instinct revealed to me that some young Igbos really need to hear my honest position on this subject matter. I have, but a few questions to ask my fellow Igbo youths that are flocking the internet with various pictures and written journals about the Biafra War that they never witnessed and my questions go this way;
What infrastructure or frame work have you built for your Biafra to stand upon? Don’t you know that for a state, like the one you all are canvassing for to stand, it needs a
strong economic, political and social frame work that will stand a test of time? Don’t you also think that what you should be talking
about at this juncture is to sort for the most effective and long lasting ways, of uniting these Eastern States, which have fallen apart like pieces of Ukpaka seeds? Think about this; why can’t the Eastern Governors pull resources together and build your region?
Who are those that will manage the affairs of your Biafran State? Is it these same Eastern (Igbo) Governors that have wrecked
and stolen all the money that were meant for the development of the Eastern Region? I’m not against your determination in
actualizing your Biafra dreams, or either am I an anti Biafra, but the truth must be told, no matter if it taste as bitter as an Onigbu leaf. I believe strongly that the Igbos are not ready and matured yet to possess this their daydreaming state. Brood over on these questions for a minute, while I fill up my ‘who send you glass cup’, with some fresh palm wine that my good friend bought along Epe axis of Lagos State.

Please this Article was written by my good friend and a former classmate, you can read the full Article on his site through the link below, Thank you.

http://homeofafricanliterature..co.ke/2015/08/the-unprepared-fantasy-paradise-called.html?spref=fb&m=1
Re: The Unprepared Fantasy Paradise Called Biafra. by delishpot: 4:40pm On Aug 16, 2015
Following
Re: The Unprepared Fantasy Paradise Called Biafra. by shumuel(m): 4:54pm On Aug 16, 2015
delishpot:
Following

Thanks cheesy but don't forget to read the full article at the blogsite through the link, thanks again.
Re: The Unprepared Fantasy Paradise Called Biafra. by delishpot: 4:55pm On Aug 16, 2015
shumuel:

Thanks cheesy but don't forget to read the full article at the blogsite through the link, thanks again.

Ok. I will do just that Now Now
Re: The Unprepared Fantasy Paradise Called Biafra. by Ufranklin92(m): 4:59pm On Aug 16, 2015
biafra just dey pepper una body grin
Re: The Unprepared Fantasy Paradise Called Biafra. by shumuel(m): 5:01pm On Aug 16, 2015
delishpot:

Loads of thanks bro
Re: The Unprepared Fantasy Paradise Called Biafra. by shumuel(m): 5:01pm On Aug 16, 2015
delishpot:

Loads of thanks bro
delishpot:

Loads of thanks bro

(1) (Reply)

When The Dumb Speaks / Kene (A Really Short Story) / Wrong Duty- Action thriller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.