Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,811 members, 7,824,375 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

Counterfeit Gods By Jefferson Bethke (poetry) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Counterfeit Gods By Jefferson Bethke (poetry) (1165 Views)

Why Are Gods So Powerless Nowadays? / People What Has Happened To Roberts Liardon The Author Of Gods Generals / SONGS That Make You Feel GODS Presence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Counterfeit Gods By Jefferson Bethke (poetry) by Nobody: 12:34am On Aug 17, 2015
You might say I don't believe in God, but the bible says; not possible! See, everyone has a God whether or not it's the God of the bible. You might not believe in God but everyone has that one thing that's king even the dictionary divines God as whatever we make supreme, coz it's a thing, it's a trait you see inside all human beings.

The facts is that we all worship - you know it's not just about singing. Now, I know you're like thonia, I don't worship I put that on a shelve but I say technically we all worship, we just worship ourselves.

We all worship something, to an object you're liable - ladies to some of you, your boyfriend is your God and Cosmo is your bible. Yet we mock and we laugh at the Israelites golden calfs but we do the same thing right back, it just a little different than that.

So, question! What's on your throne? See, what are you chasing that you don't feel alone? What defines you? What gives you ultimate worth? And what if taken will bring ultimate hurt?
Now see, that is your God....

And all of us, we've sacrificed deep joy for shallow happiness, to be honest we look like fools, we're like full grown adults in a kiddies pool going 'oh my goodness guys this is like so cool' because we're slaves to our possession, we're always craving something new. Reality check: if you can't give it up you don't own it, it owns you. And that's why the bible - it says: we're spiritual prostitute. In fact it even says we're worse at least prostitutes get paid for their works, all we get paid is our hurts. And that's why worship is not just behaviour, it goes way into our core.

So, now what is you God? What do you bow down before?

For example: some of us, we don't worship God but we worship what he said, we've got theology in our heads but in our hearts, we're poor, pitiful and dead. Or some of us worship in stadiums while some of us worship in bars
Some of us worship our possessions while some of us worship our cars
See, some of us worship science while some of us worship the Art.

But I don't care what goes your idol, wherein the disease is the heart. Oh! My favourites are those guys who say; jeff I'm a man because I'm in control, ok then, tell me why you can't stop having sex with you hand? And what about those guys who trade their wives for their jobs? At work give more time to their boss than their actual wives needs or hurts. And ladies - ladies no guy can love you more than Jesus already has, so stop putting your worth to a treat at an eatery he's so much better than that.

Now, I know what you're thinking, you're probably thinking; thonia are you saying we should hate money, hate alcohol and never have sex? No! But am saying God created those all to be enjoyed in their proper content. But I want a transition, I want to make a spiritual transition, can we say these things are the ultimate purpose? Living? I mean instead of worshipping the creator of you and I, we've all said 'screw you God won't take these stuff' but you! Can die, that trade is terrible, trading God for man; it's like God offers us water and we say 'but God this is such good sand'

Or my friends will say Jeff, I've gotten to that part when you give up something I just can't fathom it, but yet must of us seem to fathom giving up everything for a quick orgasm. Am I the only one who's felt the weight of my whole sin? But here's what unique, if you heard anything at all, hear this one thing that I speak; while we exchange ourselves for God to get we to be Him, He exchanged himself for us, absorbing our sin. I mean God literally putting on flesh; and then you see how they treated him, the ultimate war venue; because he was killed for our freedom.

Nonetheless, he was thinking of you and me with every whip that beat Him, knowing fully well we would still go - nah! I don't really need Him, but like a father He couldn't bear His children to not be free, so He took up that tree paid the fee for specks and dust like you and me.

So, my plea is; let Him restore His proper place, I promise he loves you right now! Just trust in his grace but before I leave, I leave you with these: What other things took nails in their wrist? or how about was the last time money or sex forgave you? Would your boyfriend set you free from all you're enslaved to? See, what else died so that you can be made whole? When was the last time the world promised satisfaction and it actually came through?

COUNTERFEIT GODS IF YOU FAIL THEM WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU, AND IF YOU GET THEM WILL NEVER SATISFY YOU, THIS IS THE ONLY GOD WHO WILL - JESUS AND HIS RESURRECTION
Tim Keller

3 Likes

Re: Counterfeit Gods By Jefferson Bethke (poetry) by MaxWellStores(m): 6:39pm On Aug 17, 2015
Thoniameek:
You might say I don't believe in God, but the bible says; not possible! See, everyone has a God whether or not it's the God of the bible. You might not believe in God but everyone has that one thing that's king even the dictionary divines God as whatever we make supreme, coz it's a thing, it's a trait you see inside all human beings.

The facts is that we all worship - you know it's not just about singing. Now, I know you're like thonia, I don't worship I put that on a shelve but I say technically we all worship, we just worship ourselves.

We all worship something, to an object you're liable - ladies to some of you, your boyfriend is your God and Cosmo is your bible. Yet we mock and we laugh at the Israelites golden calfs but we do the same thing right back, it just a little different than that.

So, question! What's on your throne? See, what are you chasing that you don't feel alone? What defines you? What gives you ultimate worth? And what if taken will bring ultimate hurt?
Now see, that is your God....

And all of us, we've sacrificed deep joy for shallow happiness, to be honest we look like fools, we're like full grown adults in a kiddies pool going 'oh my goodness guys this is like so cool' because we're slaves to our possession, we're always craving something new. Reality check: if you can't give it up you don't own it, it owns you. And that's why the bible - it says: we're spiritual prostitute. In fact it even says we're worse at least prostitutes get paid for their works, all we get paid is our hurts. And that's why worship is not just behaviour, it goes way into our core.

So, now what is you God? What do you bow down before?

For example: some of us, we don't worship God but we worship what he said, we've got theology in our heads but in our hearts, we're poor, pitiful and dead. Or some of us worship in stadiums while some of us worship in bars
Some of us worship our possessions while some of us worship our cars
See, some of us worship science while some of us worship the Art.

But I don't care what goes your idol, wherein the disease is the heart. Oh! My favourites are those guys who say; jeff I'm a man because I'm in control, ok then, tell me why you can't stop having sex with you hand? And what about those guys who trade their wives for their jobs? At work give more time to their boss than their actual wives needs or hurts. And ladies - ladies no guy can love you more than Jesus already has, so stop putting your worth to a treat at an eatery he's so much better than that.

Now, I know what you're thinking, you're probably thinking; thonia are you saying we should hate money, hate alcohol and never have sex? No! But am saying God created those all to be enjoyed in their proper content. But I want a transition, I want to make a spiritual transition, can we say these things are the ultimate purpose? Living? I mean instead of worshipping the creator of you and I, we've all said 'screw you God won't take these stuff' but you! Can die, that trade is terrible, trading God for man; it's like God offers us water and we say 'but God this is such good sand'

Or my friends will say Jeff, I've gotten to that part when you give up something I just can't fathom it, but yet must of us seem to fathom giving up everything for a quick orgasm. Am I the only one who's felt the weight of my whole sin? But here's what unique, if you heard anything at all, hear this one thing that I speak; while we exchange ourselves for God to get we to be Him, He exchanged himself for us, absorbing our sin. I mean God literally putting on flesh; and then you see how they treated him, the ultimate war venue; because he was killed for our freedom.

Nonetheless, he was thinking of you and me with every whip that beat Him, knowing fully well we would still go - nah! I don't really need Him, but like a father He couldn't bear His children to not be free, so He took up that tree paid the fee for specks and dust like you and me.

So, my plea is; let Him restore His proper place, I promise he loves you right now! Just trust in his grace but before I leave, I leave you with these: What other things took nails in their wrist? or how about was the last time money or sex forgave you? Would your boyfriend set you free from all you're enslaved to? See, what else died so that you can be made whole? When was the last time the world promised satisfaction and it actually came through?

COUNTERFEIT GODS IF YOU FAIL THEM WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU, AND IF YOU GET THEM WILL NEVER SATISFY YOU, THIS IS THE ONLY GOD WHO WILL - JESUS AND HIS RESURRECTION
Tim Keller

An interesting read, Thonia.

Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Re: Counterfeit Gods By Jefferson Bethke (poetry) by CaptainJune: 8:46pm On Aug 17, 2015
Very nice write-up, Thoniameek. Like I always say, no one like Jesus. Actually, I came in expecting to read a poem by Bethke. On the whole, your article is a good read.

1 Like

Re: Counterfeit Gods By Jefferson Bethke (poetry) by Nobody: 9:29am On Aug 18, 2015
CaptainJune:
Very nice write-up, Thoniameek. Like I always say, no one like Jesus. Actually, I came in expecting to read a poem by Bethke. On the whole, your article is a good read.

It's actually bethke's but with a little twist from me
Re: Counterfeit Gods By Jefferson Bethke (poetry) by CaptainJune: 10:20am On Aug 18, 2015
Oh now I get it. Good job. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Whatsapp Group For Atheist / How Our Pastors Become Super Rich Than The Politicians / Nigeria Only Have Ten More Years To. Be Islamised

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.