Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,161 members, 7,825,635 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state (37330 Views)

Obafemi Awolowo University Dissociates From ASUU One Week Warning Strike.(Pics) / Poor Welfare State Of Our Campus - Need For A Mass Protest! / 2016/2017 Obafemi Awolowo University Aspirant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:55pm On Aug 18, 2015
youmour:
Who spoiled the toilet in the first place? All wetin Naija sabi na to dey destroy.if dem even put sultan of brunei toilet una go still find way spoil am.
The students shouldn't be blamed that much. The fault lies more on the school's management who have failed to build more hostels. The pressure on the existing facilities is too much. On each floor with ten rooms, built to house two students each, in Awolowo Hall, there are four toilets and four bathrooms. Twenty students are originally meant to make use of them. But today over fifty students make use of them.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by emmasege: 6:07pm On Aug 18, 2015
My dear, there's little or nothing your university management can do about it, except Government comes to term with the fact that university education is not free in the best of universities and they stop playing politics of free education. Free university education was only feasible in the first & second republics when there were very few universities & students, with immense natural/financial resources at government's disposal.
Things have since changed and government must devise new means of making university environments condusive. I saw more than this in my UI days in the 90s.
That's why a number of parents opt for good private unis. You either go for a private hostel or you allow your school management to further hike your accommodation fees. You can't pay for an economy class accommodation and expect a first class treat. I know this is a bitter truth but all the same, it must be told.
Endure the experience, like I did in UI!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by redsun(m): 6:08pm On Aug 18, 2015
That is suppose to be one of our ivy league school.Just imagine the state of the inner city ones.

Education sense pass education book.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by smuth(m): 6:12pm On Aug 18, 2015
Fynestboi:
Increasement in SCHOOL FEE AND YET NO IMPROVEMENT IN WELFARE CONDITION. (dilapidated building, bad toilet etc). And we paid for development fee. The situation of our toilet is so bad that students no longer use them.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2755249_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

Coupled with some other charges I didn’t and still do not understand, is the #18,000 development fee which was part of the reasons Obafemi Awolowo University management increased its school fees, counting some months behind us. The development fee is a scam or what?

A closer or let me say my personal review of the exorbitant and “holy gholistic” increment of fee early March last year; looking through the estimation given by the management, one out of the 17 listed estimate, I kept on fixedly gazing at the number 15 on the list, then the question that kept on heaping round my thought as ant heap round a cone of sugar was development of what?. An obviously pellucid reason for this question is, so far, the condition OAU has been during the time normal fee was been paid is still what we are now, NO CHANGE!!!, hence my question again, development of what. Well, consoling myself, it was probably meant for building a new giant Senate building so these set of inconsiderate management can continue relaxing in air conditioned offices while we keep on swinging in our erratic and nothing to write home about welfare condition? We’ve had enough patience for our management to make sense but still they prefer our parents hustling to pay them.

It may interest you to know that, the said estimation was as a result of the protest, which saw to the reduction from 74,000 to whatever we have now, is this really not a scam? As far as am concerned, no development whatsoever has been implemented by the management, I may be wrong with evidence, after swindling over 5000 2013/2014 fresh students of #18,000 development levy, and now 2014/2015 set were inevitably victims. Let’s say approximately 12,000 students paid, #18,000 in such folds, that will be a total of? I leave that to the mathematicians to rack brains about. Or maybe my definition of development is what I’m inferring from? Lest I fall a victim of erroneous conclusion.

Let me linguistically analyze the word “development”, or probably what the management mean. Is it what my dictionary defined it to be or what? Well, here is what I have according to lexicographers;

Development is : the act or process of growing or causing something to grow or become larger or more advanced.

Sequel to the above definition, is it then justifiably right, based on the condition of our hostels, lecture halls, that the management have satisfied the above definition of development? To which #18,000 was attached to? I see the word development as used by the management as a canopy to hide their somewhat exorbitant fee, if so, I believe this canopy needs to be fixed before another set of fresh students will be made to pay such canonized fee. Obviously,this situation needs some changes,some trenches need some cutting,some pillars need erecting and the flooring needs some scrubbing.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2755277_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188
AWOLOWO HALL HOSTEL IN PICTURE

THE WELFARE CONDITION IN OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY IS WORSE THAN WHAT WE HAVE ABOVE, THE ABOVE PICTURES ARE JUST TO DEPICT the suffering we student are going through despite the fee hike.

There should also be an improvement in the condition of your English, it's not 'increasement' it is 'increment'. Nigerian graduate no dey try at all. See as this OAU student come public come disgrace him self.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by Nobody: 6:21pm On Aug 18, 2015
There is one thing all government infrastructures have in common in our retrogressing country governed by inept rulers....filthiness and dilapidation..our leaders are really a shame to humankind..
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by SIRTee15: 6:22pm On Aug 18, 2015
Fynestboi:
Increasement in SCHOOL FEE AND YET NO IMPROVEMENT IN WELFARE CONDITION. (dilapidated building, bad toilet etc). And we paid for development fee. The situation of our toilet is so bad that students no longer use them.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2755249_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

Coupled with some other charges I didn’t and still do not understand, is the #18,000 development fee which was part of the reasons Obafemi Awolowo University management increased its school fees, counting some months behind us. The development fee is a scam or what?

A closer or let me say my personal review of the exorbitant and “holy gholistic” increment of fee early March last year; looking through the estimation given by the management, one out of the 17 listed estimate, I kept on fixedly gazing at the number 15 on the list, then the question that kept on heaping round my thought as ant heap round a cone of sugar was development of what?. An obviously pellucid reason for this question is, so far, the condition OAU has been during the time normal fee was been paid is still what we are now, NO CHANGE!!!, hence my question again, development of what. Well, consoling myself, it was probably meant for building a new giant Senate building so these set of inconsiderate management can continue relaxing in air conditioned offices while we keep on swinging in our erratic and nothing to write home about welfare condition? We’ve had enough patience for our management to make sense but still they prefer our parents hustling to pay them.

It may interest you to know that, the said estimation was as a result of the protest, which saw to the reduction from 74,000 to whatever we have now, is this really not a scam? As far as am concerned, no development whatsoever has been implemented by the management, I may be wrong with evidence, after swindling over 5000 2013/2014 fresh students of #18,000 development levy, and now 2014/2015 set were inevitably victims. Let’s say approximately 12,000 students paid, #18,000 in such folds, that will be a total of? I leave that to the mathematicians to rack brains about. Or maybe my definition of development is what I’m inferring from? Lest I fall a victim of erroneous conclusion.

Let me linguistically analyze the word “development”, or probably what the management mean. Is it what my dictionary defined it to be or what? Well, here is what I have according to lexicographers;

Development is : the act or process of growing or causing something to grow or become larger or more advanced.

Sequel to the above definition, is it then justifiably right, based on the condition of our hostels, lecture halls, that the management have satisfied the above definition of development? To which #18,000 was attached to? I see the word development as used by the management as a canopy to hide their somewhat exorbitant fee, if so, I believe this canopy needs to be fixed before another set of fresh students will be made to pay such canonized fee. Obviously,this situation needs some changes,some trenches need some cutting,some pillars need erecting and the flooring needs some scrubbing.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2755277_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188
AWOLOWO HALL HOSTEL IN PICTURE

THE WELFARE CONDITION IN OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY IS WORSE THAN WHAT WE HAVE ABOVE, THE ABOVE PICTURES ARE JUST TO DEPICT the suffering we student are going through despite the fee hike.

u pay #18000 as development fees and u want world class facilities.
u gotta be joking.
for ur info, govt is broke and cannot continue to massively subsidize university education.
the way forward is full university autonomy and realistic school fees.
govt can provide bursaries and scholarship for brilliant but indigent students.
and school hostels should be privatised, university mgmt should hands off.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by Nobody: 6:25pm On Aug 18, 2015
tyolanight:
@op,cool down nw....I knew diz places u snapped.it az been abandoned long tym ago.itz part of d old toilets not been used again....Do u tink ever conscious great ife students wud open dia eyes nd watch diz happen upto diz extent....D toilet is located @ Faj

My thought exactly.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by delazore(m): 6:31pm On Aug 18, 2015
The first toilet look as if it was broken by somebody, though look look rough
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by Nobody: 6:33pm On Aug 18, 2015
Fynestboi:

The one up there is in Awolowo hall, though such is in fajj but the one is not for fajj....

Oga Ade be guided, those toilets are no longer in use. Are you a student at all
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by Ak4me(m): 6:41pm On Aug 18, 2015
During our time in Ife, we used to pay only #90 for accomodation yet our toilet was never like this. The authority of the university should do something about it. Now that Awo hall toilet is like this, I don't know female hostels especially Mozambique and Moremi will look like. Its disgusting!
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by YEMOYEMI: 6:46pm On Aug 18, 2015
Doesn't the halls have chairmen and other executives like in our days? I really find it hard to believe this
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by Fynestboi: 6:46pm On Aug 18, 2015
smuth:

There should also be an improvement in the condition of your English, it's not 'increasement' it is 'increment'. Nigerian graduate no dey try at all. See as this OAU student come public come disgrace him self.

Blow it. Mr english Man. If only what you see in the write up is the typography error then I SMH.

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by DTOBS(m): 6:48pm On Aug 18, 2015
Fynestboi:

Yes awo and it's not only awo that's in such state.... Awo is just the top on the list....
Awoites now result to using the football pitch (San Siro) at the back of block 3 to do their normal *shit* business at night....
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by Fynestboi: 6:50pm On Aug 18, 2015
Pprovost:

Oga Ade be guided, those toilets are no longer in use. Are you a student at all

See contradiction how can that still be in use when broken? For your information that is awo block 3 toilet not fajj. I Should be asking you if you are....
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by Fynestboi: 6:57pm On Aug 18, 2015
tyolanight:
@op,cool down nw....I knew diz places u snapped.it az been abandoned long tym ago.itz part of d old toilets not been used again....Do u tink ever conscious great ife students wud open dia eyes nd watch diz happen upto diz extent....D toilet is located @ Faj

Brotherly they are not fajj toilet but AWOLOWO HALL....
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by Fynestboi: 6:57pm On Aug 18, 2015
DTOBS:

Awoites now result to using the football pitch (San Siro) at the back of block 3 to do their normal *shit* business at night....

Tell them....
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by Fynestboi: 7:02pm On Aug 18, 2015
SIRTee15:

u pay #18000 as development fees and u want world class facilities.
u gotta be joking.
for ur info, govt is broke and cannot continue to massively subsidize university education.
the way forward is full university autonomy and realistic school fees.
govt can provide bursaries and scholarship for brilliant but indigent students.
and school hostels should be privatised, university mgmt should hands off.

We ain't clamoring for world class sir, but let them improve the little ones we have rather then building giant Senate building.....

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by Nobody: 7:10pm On Aug 18, 2015
you are definately not thinking well.
bushdoc9919:
Increase the fees.

Yes...if you want standard facilities in all Nigerian universities.....increase the fees.

In the US....they have pristine toilets in their hostels (some of which look like posh block of flats). And that is because fees in the US cost $20000 and more. Meanwhile in Nigeria....we are paying less than 1000 dollars......because of poverty.....and of course we get bad facilities.

We also have cities with bad mains water supply, and we pay water bills of N6000 monthly.(Or less).

And in developed countries....they pay heavy taxes.....to make sure that the universities get well funded.

Plus....Universities abroad market themselves. How many of you have worn American uni branded clothing here in Nigeria? That is how many US unis make kudi....by sticking their names on shirts , cups, sweaters, etc....and does it work?

If you want good toilet....we may have to pay high fees. Because universities cannot do much on budgets less than $20million per annum....when US universities have budgets up to $250million or more.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by 1miccza: 7:12pm On Aug 18, 2015
*pulls an akara chair* eeehheeeennn!!!! Chayeeeeee!!!!This state must be very poor ooo, e nor fit go carry blockk?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by semitunde: 7:21pm On Aug 18, 2015
The school administrators need to be checked seriously.

CBN came with around N1B intervention fund and asked what the school needed done critically. The school asked for a new senate building! grin Dolts.

They should have at least built a new hostel or rehabilitated the current ones with a fraction of the fund.

The last time we had a major rehabilitation of all the halls was around '98 with PTF under Abacha. Funny!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by semitunde: 7:24pm On Aug 18, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Increase the fees.

Yes...if you want standard facilities in all Nigerian universities.....increase the fees.

In the US....they have pristine toilets in their hostels (some of which look like posh block of flats). And that is because fees in the US cost $20000 and more. Meanwhile in Nigeria....we are paying less than 1000 dollars......because of poverty.....and of course we get bad facilities.

We also have cities with bad mains water supply, and we pay water bills of N6000 monthly.(Or less).

And in developed countries....they pay heavy taxes.....to make sure that the universities get well funded.

Plus....Universities abroad market themselves. How many of you have worn American uni branded clothing here in Nigeria? That is how many US unis make kudi....by sticking their names on shirts , cups, sweaters, etc....and does it work?

If you want good toilet....we may have to pay high fees. Because universities cannot do much on budgets less than $20million per annum....when US universities have budgets up to $250million or more.

Guy, pls find a very good seat and make your arse comfortable.

Ppl will be spoon fed with one economic ideology and they run away with it, not seeing the bigger picture.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by DTOBS(m): 7:26pm On Aug 18, 2015
Fynestboi:

Tell them....
na im I just do now! lollll
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by semitunde: 7:39pm On Aug 18, 2015
Ak4me:
During our time in Ife, we used to pay only #90 for accomodation yet our toilet was never like this. The authority of the university should do something about it. Now that Awo hall toilet is like this, I don't know female hostels especially Mozambique and Moremi will look like. Its disgusting!

Seriously, I stayed 5 good years in that hall. And at N90 per session ( when I didn't buy black market) Awo had some of the cleanest toilets. Crazy and loud we were but each floor was responsible for the toilets on their floor and in some places specific rooms had the duty to make specific toilets and bathroom clean, complementing the work of the official cleaners. We also made sure any new Hall executive council saw to any broken toilet seats, its one of the reasons why we voted them in.

I guess those staying in those halls nowadays think they'd have had a toilet to come to if we didn't do our bit. They cannot wait for everything to be done for them thinking they've paid for it. The toilet is mainly for their use. They should have done their best to maintain it. Its not so difficult.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 18, 2015
uplawal:
you are definately not thinking well.

All right...tell me how you are going to fund Nigerian universities effectively.....especially with falling oil prices on the international market.

I don't like my idea, really.,.....but the cold fact is we do not have the money. And even if we squeezed all of the looters down to the last drop of their looted money....we would just have enough for a few years....and that's it. And we still have to fund other things....including primary and secondary schools.

In 2009....Govt promised N3 trillion for our universities in extra funding...a large chunk of it going on facilities. By 2013....the money had not been paid. And then Govt crashed it down to N1 trillion, and that payable over 5 years in N200bn instalments...to be shared among at least 50 universities(now more thanks to GEJ establishing more of them, and upgrading some in the last month of his admin). And only the 2014 instalment has been paid. Now....what does that tell you.....

Better pray that Buhari finds extra cash for the universities, or that oil prices rise., or we remove the subsidies on fuel and funnel it into the unis only. And it still won't be enough.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by Anuoluwapo3054(m): 8:02pm On Aug 18, 2015
RexTramadol1:

Josephs of our generation!
Please,is Unilorin a varsity
hmm...hmm....na Technical college,Oponu agba.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by engrlarex(m): 8:03pm On Aug 18, 2015
Hhgghg
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by engrlarex(m): 8:04pm On Aug 18, 2015
Hhgghgbb
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by iammrjohnson(m): 8:06pm On Aug 18, 2015
i hate seeing fools like you comment, do you realise this is a federal school we are talking about and not private?
do you know poland gives free education to its citizens and even foreigners up to tertiary level and that doesnt mean the welfare state is bad?
do you know there are lots of schools in the us where students pay less than $5,000 and still get quality welfare?
this is the kind of mentality okonjo iweala came withand scattered everything
foolish black man always thinking everything is done better abroad
and i wonder what you ife guys are doing about this,during my time there,we once went on strike because of ordinary street light on the way to new buka. you guys have turned the SUG into a dry joke
bushdoc9919:
Increase the fees.

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by Temikane: 8:19pm On Aug 18, 2015
I
bushdoc9919:
Increase the fees.

When you compare america. Compare salaries and many other things. Come on this doesn't mean we shouldn't have good maintenance. I don't know why we keep vying for bad governance , all politicians are bastards
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by Nobody: 8:44pm On Aug 18, 2015
iammrjohnson:
i hate seeing fools like you comment, do you realise this is a federal school we are talking about and not private?
do you know poland gives free education to its citizens and even foreigners up to tertiary level and that doesnt mean the welfare state is bad?
do you know there are lots of schools in the us where students pay less than $5,000 and still get quality welfare?
this is the kind of mentality okonjo iweala came withand scattered everything
foolish black man always thinking everything is done better abroad
and i wonder what you ife guys are doing about this,during my time there,we once went on strike because of ordinary street light on the way to new buka. you guys have turned the SUG into a dry joke

Then if you think that we can have free education....find the money.

Because....we need lots of money.....N10 TRILLION over the next few years to adequately fund university education in this country.

And by the way......do be respectful. Your insults are not appreciated.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by Nobody: 8:45pm On Aug 18, 2015
Temikane:
I

When you compare america. Compare salaries and many other things. Come on this doesn't mean we shouldn't have good maintenance. I don't know why we keep vying for bad governance , all politicians are bastards

Then find the money.

And let me tell you.....start saving for your kids education. I should too.....and yes we need good governance.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state by iammrjohnson(m): 8:57pm On Aug 18, 2015
if you fail to realise at first glance that the problem here is gross mismanagement of funds, then there really isnt anything to talk about, there's a big difference between 'free' and 'subsized', no one is asking for free education, but before you give a child a mansion,look at the way he manages his room. the same management that did nothing with the N18,000 increment will do little or nothing with your opinion increment

sorry about the insult,avoid baseless comparison of the nigerian system to foreign ones.
bushdoc9919:

Then if you think that we can have free education....find the money.

Because....we need lots of money.....N10 TRILLION over the next few years to adequately fund university education in this country.

And by the way......do be respectful. Your insults are not appreciated.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

16 Pictures Some Students Playing Bet9ja Virtual Soccer Can Relate To / Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria / Nigerian University Students Builds Car That Passes Int’l Evaluation – From ‘tuk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.