Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,661 members, 7,809,500 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

Common Misconceptions In Science. Part 2 - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Common Misconceptions In Science. Part 2 (648 Views)

Yorubas Are The Best In Science And Technology/ict. / Big Bang And Evolution Theory Are The Two Greatest Scam In Science / Common Misconceptions In Science. Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Misconceptions In Science. Part 2 by Nobody: 1:59am On Aug 18, 2015

Okay, so I just discovered that I unwittingly created two identical topics instead of just one. Well, bummer.

So I guess that forces me to do part two immediately. embarassed
So, let's go there. wink

π is equal to 22/7

Okay, not many people actually hold this idea, but some do, and for those people, I am disappoint. grin
22/7 is actually an approximation of π which is a very difficult number. It cannot be expressed as a fraction, or a decimal, or a percentage, without frustrating whoever tries it. Everything we know about the damned thing is at best approximation. Another similar approximation is 355/113 and so on and so forth.

black holes are deadly

You mean HUGE black holes are deadly AFTER passing through their event horizon.
Because, let's face it, black holes are just over hyped items floating around and gobbling matters and stuff. They're not even black. undecided and they emit hawking radiation, keeping the law of conservation of energy constant. (Man, physics rocks!)
Okay, so basically, black holes follow this rule., too much of anything is bad. Like, seriously. Look, assuming you had a black hole the size of a . . . say, sugar molecule, you can totally swallow it. And you won't feel anything. sad
In fact, if you were to replace the sun with a similarly small black hole, not much would change. The planets would continue their orbits. Just that those people advertising solar panels would run out of business. lipsrsealed
So, fear nothing. Even if some dudes messed up with a particle accelerator and got black holes floating around, you wouldn't know. (May be they have already done that? shocked )

gamma radiation is green.

I blame marvel for this. I can't believe they actually convinced half the world that gamma is green. That goes to show the power of the pen. Well, gamma is colorless. And you can't smell it, or feel it . . . I call it the ninjatronic radiation. It also kills really fast. So, it can't transform you into hulk . . . or spiderman. Guys, seriously, why is this even a point of discussion? Having gamma radiation is equivalent to having the cells in your body hit by microsopic bullets that are travelling at light speed. How is that supposed to give you powers? Anyway, it's not green. It's gamma color. grin

bullets travel in water

People believe this. I blame Steven Spielberg. lipsrsealed
The fact is this, bullets are only useful in a hopelessly light fluid like air. Where the fluid resistance is not high. In water, the bullet stops within seconds
Sounds bizarre, but once you realize that water's viscosity is proportional to the momentum of any object hitting it, this is not hard to understand then. Ever wondered why speed boats bounce? This might be why.
Besides, a bullet entering water from the air would instantly create a vacuum behind it in the same way a sail creates a vacuum in front of itself.(just a thousand times bigger. wink ) the vacuum is actually strong enough to pull it back! So, eventually stops.
So, if you're chasing someone with a gun and they jump in a river, they're gone, forget the gun. Get an harpoon. grin

Till next time then. Bye! cheesy

Re: Common Misconceptions In Science. Part 2 by Nobody: 3:26am On Aug 18, 2015
Nice piece. As much as I like to agree with you in all you said, your take on mermaid is too shallow and a good scientists should never say things are impossible. Besides the documented evidence of mermaid which you can find on YouTube (I have the video but the file size is too large. You can search the BBC documentary called mermaid the body found), have you heard of the aquatic ape theory? This is the theory that supports the possibility of the existence of the mermaids. If you can't find the video, I can email you mine.
Re: Common Misconceptions In Science. Part 2 by RobinHez(m): 4:44am On Aug 18, 2015
Pie =22/7..! Blame it on our school curriculum!! We're always told to take pie as 22/7 embarassed

And about the 'black hole" thingy... Its a strange something for u to say its harmless.

BBC Earth really explained it in details , what would become of u if u Fell into a black hole.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150525-a-black-hole-would-clone-you
Re: Common Misconceptions In Science. Part 2 by RobinHez(m): 4:49am On Aug 18, 2015
azeezhy:
Nice piece. As much as I like to agree with you in all you said, your take on mermaid is too shallow and a good scientists should never say things are impossible. Besides the documented evidence of mermaid which you can find on YouTube (I have the video but the file size is too large. You can search the BBC documentary called mermaid the body found), have you heard of the aquatic ape theory? This is the theory that supports the possibility of the existence of the mermaids. If you can't find the video, I can email you mine.

Bros...sorry o, but limiting ur scope due to sentiments is dangerous especially in science. We should be careful not to mix myth with science...!

A month after the program aired, the National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration posted a
statement on its website denouncing the supposed
existence of the half-human, half-fish beings. "No
evidence of aquatic humanoids has. ever been
found," the post read.
http://m.livescience.com/45733-are-mermaids-real.html
http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/mermaids.html
Re: Common Misconceptions In Science. Part 2 by Nobody: 10:08am On Aug 18, 2015
RobinHez:
Pie =22/7..! Blame it on our school curriculum!! We're always told to take pie as 22/7 embarassed

And about the 'black hole" thingy... Its a strange something for u to say its harmless.

BBC Earth really explained it in details , what would become of u if u Fell into a black hole.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150525-a-black-hole-would-clone-you
hehehe. cheesy
Have this for breakfast. wink

https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/could-the-lhc-make-an-earth-killing-black-hole-886d9e600c28

Meanwhile, the 22/7 for pi is usually accurate enough for small values of radius. Just like g which is 10m/s^2 approx.
However, using that same value when working with latitudes and longitudes is just beyond me. undecided
Re: Common Misconceptions In Science. Part 2 by johnydon22(m): 10:08am On Aug 18, 2015
azeezhy:
[b]Bro Mermaids are creatures passed from myth to legend just like the Unicorn.
Up till now even though we all know it is a fictiously inspired myth the realm of science is ever open so we can tag it a BIOLOGICAL HYPOTHESIS because if mermaids are real they are biological entities..

Up until now there is no evidence what so ever that supports the existence of half human, half fish and to think this is biologically impossible because this is a creature said to possess a hominide and aquatic animal too. .

You can imagine a homo sapien upwards and tillapia nitotica downwards, two distinct anatomy in entirety. . even though it is impossible to mate with a fish, less say somehow a human cell is fused with that of a fish to test the laboratory result, i think the result will vastly different from what you conceive a perfectly half human, half fish . .No it would be so different and it's not even possible.

Mermaids are biologically impossible. . . A unicorn being in existence is far more plausible than a half man half fish.. (two very distant organisms into one) at least unicorns are just horses with a horn.. wink
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Chemistry Joke. / I Need A Programmer / Scientists Hav Discovered A Cell Dat Does Something Dey Thought Was Impossible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.