Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? (60784 Views)

"I Make N45,000 Monthly" - Local Nail Cutter Reveals / Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis / 10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by SaiBuharii: 4:28pm On Aug 18, 2015
gagewonda:
op i knw its nt easy bt try nd see hw u can attach ICAN to ur portfolio. i knw some lawyers dat r chartered accountants as well.

Please don't do ICAN, you will only add to ur frustration, I advise AcCA
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Kiakia(m): 4:30pm On Aug 18, 2015
This is the first time I am reading or hearing a lawyer lament about being a lawyer, a course she (I believe it's a "she") willy nilly chose and pursued just because of the fear of collecting a paltry pay on being employed in a law firm. Ludicrous, to say the least. And to learn from her post that she is still serving her fatherland as a corper! She must have been thought in the law school that new wigs do not start out big. She must also have been taught that you do not put earning big money front burner but to learn the basics or the nitty-gritty of litigation, something called 'learning the ropes'. In later years, and as the fresher climbs the ladder of the legal profession, the money will start coming in. I will advise her not to live in regret but to glow in the pride of being admitted into the noble circle of learned men.

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by mrbillz(m): 4:32pm On Aug 18, 2015
Giving up is not an option...
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by josite: 4:34pm On Aug 18, 2015
kilode100:
Op, are you a guy or a girl?..

If you are a girl, locate festus keyamo, bang the hell outta him(I hope you are beautiful) because the guy na oko ashawo.. Whe n he gives you the job, create controversies and confusions that only you can solve, look for one politician to expose, pretend to be good and you will be the most sought after... Abike Dabiri did it, senator Chris Anyanwu that publisher did it, and so can you.

Even I kilode100 did it grin grin grin

Good luck!!

i cant stop laughing,very veri practical

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by debulle: 4:34pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:
I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. So much that I didn't know when tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I am getting frustrated. To think I did everything right in school to ensure I left with with a 2:1 grade. I ask myself ,where did I go wrong? To make matters worse, my family members think all is well since I am a "barrister".

I am slowly beginning to regret my decision to be a lawyer. Though I am still serving as a batch C corps member,I get scared. So scared that I may have to take up work in a firm that pays 15000 naira. God knows I have tried. I have sent out more than 200 applications, yet nothing!

Which job recuitment site have I not signed up with? This was not what I envisaged for my career when I was being called to bar. Even in the midst of the mass failure of my set, I bagged a 2.2 from law school; still nothing to show for it. I know people from my university that graduated with 3rd class now working with top law firms.

Well, I have been told to stop wasting my time by applying for associate jobs on the websites of law firms. The reason being that they rarely employ lawyers anonymously. It is mostly through recommendation or connection. God knows I really want to practice law, but the job is not forthcoming. I have my rent to pay, bills to take care of and cannot survive on 15k a month after 6 years of going to school. I am open to suggestions anyways.

Someone even adviced I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me the cold shoulder. I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

After december, I may have to think of something else to do.
My friend put yourself together and tell devil he is a liar.U did a very nice and noble course.If jobs are not coming fort in laws firms try banks and other industries don't be rigid that u most work in a law firm now.Some Lawyers are attarched with NGO's and they are doing well.know that nothing good comes easy, and its only you that can pull yourself down.Face the world like a strong man that you are.God will bless your hustle.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by bufness(m): 4:35pm On Aug 18, 2015
o. p u wan kee me, abeg i dy 300l no discourage me o sad angry cry
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 18, 2015
People like you are the reason why Olanrewaju Onadeko is weeding out people who have no business in the noble profession.

Are you scared of getting other jobs? Must you practise Law? If yes, don't you know the things a Lawyer can do? If you don't, then you learnt nothing in Law school.

3 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by emmkid(m): 4:38pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:
I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. So much that I didn't know when tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I am getting frustrated. To think I did everything right in school to ensure I left with with a 2:1 grade. I ask myself ,where did I go wrong? To make matters worse, my family members think all is well since I am a "barrister".

I am slowly beginning to regret my decision to be a lawyer. Though I am still serving as a batch C corps member,I get scared. So scared that I may have to take up work in a firm that pays 15000 naira. God knows I have tried. I have sent out more than 200 applications, yet nothing!

Which job recuitment site have I not signed up with? This was not what I envisaged for my career when I was being called to bar. Even in the midst of the mass failure of my set, I bagged a 2.2 from law school; still nothing to show for it. I know people from my university that graduated with 3rd class now working with top law firms.

Well, I have been told to stop wasting my time by applying for associate jobs on the websites of law firms. The reason being that they rarely employ lawyers anonymously. It is mostly through recommendation or connection. God knows I really want to practice law, but the job is not forthcoming. I have my rent to pay, bills to take care of and cannot survive on 15k a month after 6 years of going to school. I am open to suggestions anyways.

Someone even adviced I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me the cold shoulder. I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

uuhnm, dz one is strong, bufness, olril18, Innocentkay4, cum n read ds oooo

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Aug 18, 2015
SaiBuharii:
Law and Medicne are overrated in Nigeria, the stress is less than the benefit...unless u plan to relocate.

Wanted to study law, but was discouraged it's not worth it. I'm sure I will have easily finished with a minimum of a 2.1 in both uni and law skul.

Put in for a 4 year course and I'm earning my cash. My mates dt put in for law are still eida in law skul or serving, when they come to the labour mkt, and they come to my industry, no advantage, they become my junior, even in the public service, they put them on grade 8

Start doing courses that will feed you well, not that will give u title. Don't impress your parents, they will not feed your children.

By the way, you are still serving. You can't get paid for what is compulsory. No dey give yourself grief.

You sound like a wounded lawyer. With the way you said you would have made a 2:1 IF and only IF you studied Law, I hope you made a 1st in the course you studied... undecided

3 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Pchidexy(m): 4:41pm On Aug 18, 2015
First of all op, the fact that you are a lawyer does not mean you would be richer than the woman selling tomatoes near by. Cut your expectations low. Take up any job that can get you connected to people. Take up cases for free. Do charge and bail. If you have any skill unrelated to your field use it to rake in money. It is only you yourself can limit yourself. There are countless number of successful lawyers. Your certificate is a mere paper. It is the individual that matters.

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by plantation(m): 4:42pm On Aug 18, 2015
@OP, I am a lawyer and I have never for one day regretted being one. I had my POP in February 19 this year. 6months after NYSC and 2years after call to bar. I am not hungry. I am attached to a firm. The pay is not much. But I am enjoying my profession and able to pay my bills. My Wedding is jst moments away. I was able to develop so many career ideas during my service. After service, I ventured into so many ventures and I am happy at my progress so far. Mind you, i dont have a rich or recommendable background. My advice to you:
1. Change your mindset and be ready to face the challenges of a very competitive profession.
2. Develop yourself
3. Use your service year to device means and create ideas.
4. Pray ceaselessly.

2 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by dam007(m): 4:43pm On Aug 18, 2015
tolusan:

You sound like a wounded lawyer. With the way you said you would have made a 2:1 IF and only IF you studied Law, I hope you made a 1st in the course you studied... undecided
I tell you!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Aug 18, 2015
tolusan:

Let me analyse some of the things wrong with the bolded portions in the order that they appear:

1. you are still serving, that presupposes that you're currently working. Why not be grateful for what you have now and trust God (if you believe in him) to provide for tomorrow.

2. never allow fear in your life, it paralyzes you. Fear is False Evidence Appearing Real. Who told you, you would take up a job in a firm of 15k?! Even if you did that isn't your bus stop. No one should despise little beginings and honest labour.

3. How hasty of you to conclude, in less than 3 years at the Bar, that you have nothing to show for your hard work and industry in school.

4. Don't live your life watching other people live theirs, Live your life!

5. I strongly advise that you change your company. you have the wrong advisers. I delibrately pick my friends, friends who are headed for success. Let me boast; there is no top law firm that in Lagos, and by extension Nigeria,that i don't have a personal friend or a friend of a friend. Change your company!

6. You see, don't ever depend on anyone. people don't help sometimes not because they dont want to help, they just don't have the means to and you can't blame them. I try as much as possible not to tie my destiny to what men can do for me, rather I look to God and trust him to use men to favour me. gerrit?

7. No dear, you're responsible for yourself. The person who gave you the privilege to be alive today is the one responsible for you. Look to him. If he can bring you this far, then I dont think he's incapable of providing just that opening that you need.

Cheers smiley
Sir, i'd like to know how u acquired these contacts of yours, how you got to know them. I'm a law aspirant about to write my post-utme(wish me luck). Obviously, i don't know how the world works, have'nt gone out much. Would love to start building a strong foundation as soon as possible. What do u advice me to do to get on the right track and make it?
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by obailala(m): 4:44pm On Aug 18, 2015
millionboi:
u r fool?.....if u dnt ve anytin important 4d op,u shut up nd stop foolin urself
People with poor upbringing usually dish out insults before they even reason.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by sucess001(m): 4:47pm On Aug 18, 2015
tolusan:

Mr Ayo! I see you!

er...i see you know me...wats your real name?
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by linasparkle(f): 4:48pm On Aug 18, 2015
SaiBuharii:
Law and Medicne are overrated in Nigeria, the stress is less than the benefit...unless u plan to relocate.

Wanted to study law, but was discouraged it's not worth it. I'm sure I will have easily finished with a minimum of a 2.1 in both uni and law skul.

Put in for a 4 year course and I'm earning my cash. My mates dt put in for law are still eida in law skul or serving, when they come to the labour mkt, and they come to my industry, no advantage, they become my junior, even in the public service, they put them on grade 8

Start doing courses that will feed you well, not that will give u title. Don't impress your parents, they will not feed your children.

By the way, you are still serving. You can't get paid for what is compulsory. No dey give yourself grief.
FYM u ckd ve easily made 2.1 indeed. Point of correction they re placed on level 9
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by SaiBuharii: 4:49pm On Aug 18, 2015
tolusan:

I made a first class in a Federal school. I was an art student, but at the point of selecting a course, changed my future plan, based on advice. I never chose law in any form. Go and face your books.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Aug 18, 2015
Mrmysterious:

Sir, i'd like to know how u acquired these contacts of yours, how you got to know them. I'm a law aspirant about to write my post-utme(wish me luck). Obviously, i don't know how the world works, have'nt gone out much. Would love to start building a strong foundation as soon as possible. What do u advice me to do to get on the right track and make it?

let me wish you luck in your forthcoming exam. Well, I'm naturally inclined towards people, I try to be courteous and respectful all the time and I go out of my way to make friends. For now I think you should focus on dusting the exams and hopefully when you make it to Uni. there'll be fertile ground to mix and cultivate a network of friends...
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by SaiBuharii: 4:51pm On Aug 18, 2015
linasparkle:

FYM u ckd ve easily made 2.1 indeed. Point of correction they re placed on level 9

You are wrong. My info is based on pple I fixed into ministry of justice.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by SaiBuharii: 4:53pm On Aug 18, 2015
Dhotseal:

Spoken like one of those lawyer wannabes who didn't make the cut. She needs encouragement, so if u dnt have any to offer, just bug off. I am a lawyer, and i am certain I earn more in a month than u make in a year. So, it got nothing to do with ur 4yrs in uni...depends each person's will to succeed.

Ok.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by drnairalov: 4:54pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:

As Lord Denning said you can't put something on nothing and expect it to stand.

Law is a prestigious profession and u 've to move with the ranks..it takes a long process to .ale it as a lawyer in Nigeria save for few who have connections..but Dont give up.

It's a process.. collect the little money in any chambers u see..nd move within d ranks. currently only the likes of Babalakin nd Co, Festus Keyamo,Afe Babalola late Gani Chambers that pay substantial ammount of money.. but quick advice if You can get to Age Babalola firm it pays..success.

Beep me anyways I cud 'be of help into few law firms I know of.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 18, 2015
SaiBuharii:

I made a first class in a Federal school. I was an art student, but at the point of selecting a course, changed my future plan, based on advice. I never chose law in any form. Go and face your books.

Good for you! You come off as cocky and it may not speak well for your image; a typical trait people who beef lawyers and all... Cheers.... @facing my books, Undergrad. was done and dusted about four years ago, na LLM we they face now grin grin
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by dondaddycares(m): 4:55pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:

the probs with us young lawyers is that we wanna hit it hard once we come out of law skul. Babe, u must not work in a top law firm, u got 2.2 in law skul and u dey congratulate urself that u are gonna get a job with it in Babalakin &Co, babe wake up. I made double 2nd class uppers in law skul and university and currently running my LL.M, i dont work in a top law firm, i'm not being paid a dime, u only make ur money wen u goto court and take appearance fee. dont wait or depend on big paying law firms, dear u can start from d little ones available to u. ur mates who read other courses aint priviledged like u are,its only lawyers dat get instant employment after skul albeit with low remuneration while at d same time u can be in dat ur job while searching for anoither. d best for u sef should be a non-paying chamber which will allow u handle ur own personal briefs. success is a gradual process,i bet u,u will live a more fulfilled life and enjoy ur practice with theses chambers u r looking down on.

3 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 18, 2015
tolusan:

let me wish you luck in your forthcoming exam. Well, I'm naturally inclined towards people, I try to be courteous and respectful all the time and I go out of my way to make friends. For now I think you should focus on dusting the exams and hopefully when you make it to Uni. there'll be fertile ground to mix and cultivate a network of friends...
Ok sir, thanks a million.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Aug 18, 2015
You are not the only Nigerian so afraid of the future or having regrets about life choice. I believe in miracles,so must you. Miracles do happen. In God we(you) must trust.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by bufness(m): 5:04pm On Aug 18, 2015
emmkid:

uuhnm, dz one is strong, bufness, olril18, Innocentkay4, cum n read ds oooo
person don dy gt discouraged in school sekf alrefy, dis 1 don demoralise me cry
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Treash(m): 5:05pm On Aug 18, 2015
Dear we have similar issue. Same course, same year of graduation, bt i went to Lagos campus lawskul. I serve naw, yet no job for naw. However, I have faith job is around d corner though not visible. Ok?? Pls cheer up. Be hapy coz there is a sound of abundance of rain wich u may not nt hear. Elijah heard it but d Isrealite didnt hear it,so they lose hope. Kindly email to me ur C.V in case there is an offer. Tnks.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by nwannaeto: 5:11pm On Aug 18, 2015
u can become self employed and as well in future employ great,young lawyers.do not relent
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by InvertedHammer: 5:11pm On Aug 18, 2015
/
Technology killed law. Law is based on information. A lot of legal information which lawyers made money off of are available online for free.

You can draw legal contracts online for a token. Most lawyers shy away from litigation because of the logistics involved.

And most big corporations are tightly-knitted that it is hard to break in without connections.

Law was finished when they started online, long-distance and weekend only law schools. Unlike medicine and engineering, law is not hands on.

Lawyers are a dime a dozen. But hey! You can always work in a bank in a different capacity. No knowledge is a waste.

\

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:

I am in your exact position. Pls I want to warn you, dont try and infect me with your despair. The future is bright for me as a lawyer. I am in a profession with the highest number of job opportunity. You've not even started you've already crying. You dont know what you read on School. Sit down there and be applying online. You re not even supposed to be a lawyer.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by jamesolibng: 5:14pm On Aug 18, 2015
You will surely make it,only try to gather your talents and gifts together and put to them to use than depending on certificate.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by steppin: 5:15pm On Aug 18, 2015
eleko1:
If u need job,come to Elephant House.I dnt engaged a kiddo like U.omo ale jatijati
Elephant house indeed! As your assistant, to the chief security officer?
Give the job to your deadbeat father. He needs it more than I do.
Anu mpama!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

The Perfect Resignation Letter / KPMG Salary Structure: Salary Payment Of Staffs Of KPMG Nigeria / Is Sweeping Of Roads The Riskiest Job In Lagos? (see PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.