Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,244 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:30 AM

Fortran - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Fortran (1396 Views)

Fortran / Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? / How Can I Create Multiplication Table Using Qbasic And Fortran? PLS HELP! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fortran by olufrost(m): 6:40pm On Oct 01, 2006
i need help with fortran can anyone help
Re: Fortran by esto(f): 6:48pm On Oct 01, 2006
Hi Olufrost,what exactly do you want to know in fortran 77 , its kind of outdated,or is it what they show teach u guys in sch?
Re: Fortran by olufrost(m): 6:59pm On Oct 01, 2006
its fortran 77 and yes its what we are taught in schl, i share ur view that it is outdated but CGPA is the issue in the case.
what i need to know is that when i type and save the code on the blue screen, what next.
Re: Fortran by ishmael(m): 12:18pm On Oct 03, 2006
esto:

Hi Olufrost,what exactly do you want to know in fortran 77 , its kind of outdated,or is it what they show teach u guys in sch?

Not true. It's not outdated; although the version matters. (FORTRAN 77 is old sha compared to FORTRAN 90 and FORTRAN 2003). It actually depends on what you want to do with it. There is Object-Oriented FORTRAN programming that is as effective and efficient as VB, C++ and other OO programming languages.
Re: Fortran by ishmael(m): 12:21pm On Oct 03, 2006
olufrost:

its fortran 77 and yes its what we are taught in schl, i share your view that it is outdated but CGPA is the issue in the case.
what i need to know is that when i type and save the code on the blue screen, what next.

You compile and run dats all.
Re: Fortran by waa1972(m): 8:37am On Oct 05, 2006
FORTRAN IS a must if:
1. You want to do something in Numerical Methods.
2. Engineering Simulation.
3. Engineer/Scientist.

None of the new generation progs will be able to beat FORTRAN in these aspects. You can also write Object-Oriented codes using FORTRAN but the OO methods aere less automated in FORTRAN.
Re: Fortran by olufrost(m): 10:58am On Oct 05, 2006
thanks for the replies, how do i compile the program
Re: Fortran by ishmael(m): 11:56am On Oct 05, 2006
olufrost:

thanks for the replies, how do i compile the program

The compiling command depends on the type of compiler u are using. U can find out from the vendor you bought the compiler from; he may be able to tell you, except if he's not a genuine software vendor. Cheers!!
Re: Fortran by waa1972(m): 8:11am On Oct 06, 2006
If you are REALLY interested in FORTRAN, then:
1. Get a good compiler: I use the free GNU on Linux which is f77; there should be visual compilers on Windows as well, but I cant help you with that.
2. If you want to use f77 under linux here is the way to compile:
f77 -c your_file.for OR f77 -c your_file.f
Thats it.
The rest of the instruction depends on WHAT exactly you want to do.
Re: Fortran by ishmael(m): 11:38am On Oct 06, 2006
Waa1972, why are u still using FORTRAN 77?? Try using[b] FORTRAN 90 [/b] or FORTRAN 95 and see the difference.
Re: Fortran by waa1972(m): 12:06pm On Oct 06, 2006
ishmael: The job is to compile FORTRAN (on Linux). f77 compiles and links fine. I dont need more. Besides, I dont think f90/95 are free under GNU yet.
Anyway, we both end up at the same point.
The most important thing is to concentrate on how to write good numerical methods/simulation codes in FORTRAN!
Re: Fortran by ishmael(m): 4:51pm On Oct 06, 2006
Yeah man, that's it o. I love writing my numerical analysis and statistical analysis programs using FORTRAN. Infact the FORTRAN i did in school then was FORTRAN 77, and even as i'm talking now i still write some of my FORTRAN codes using FORTRAN 77; but i just feel guys should move ahead to OO FORTRAN using FORTRAN 2003. Have you laid your hands on FORTRAN 2003 compiler? Guys need it o; how you see am??

(1) (Reply)

Exchange Server 2007 / Pls I Need Win32 Dasm / Help,,,,,,,,, Please I Need Help On Android Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.