Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,682 members, 7,955,529 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:25 AM

How Will Our Universe End? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How Will Our Universe End? (1380 Views)

The Look Of The Entire Universe In One Picture -awesome! / Are We Alone In The Universe? / Top 10 Most Mysterious Planets (known) In The Observable Universe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Will Our Universe End? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Aug 22, 2015

Here there!

If you're reading this, you're most likely a human being! If you're not, then, by all means, let me know about your species in the comments. wink

Anyway, since you're most likely a human, your life span is, I dunno, give or take seventy years, now, to a fruit fly, you're an immortal. Why, if they were any smarter, they would probably worship you.
To a bristlecone pine tree however, your life is ridiculously short. why, if moses himself planted one on his time, of would still be alive and "kicking" till now. grin

However, both you and the bristlecone tree will eventually end. The earth will eventually end. Religious texts paint the end of the earth to be quite dramatic. Well, we'll see, won't we? grin
As scientists, we must look further. To the very ultimate end. The end of our universe.

I know what you're thinking. "That's ridiculous, how am I supposed to enjoy eternal life in heaven if the universe has an end? undecided " well, like I said, we shall see. grin

Anyway, without wasting time, let's get to some of the astonishing ways scientists think the universe could end. Keep in mind though that these ends aren't due in about a googol years. That's 10100. If you've not had your fill of eternal life by then, I want to meet the architect. grin

The big crunch.

That sounds funny. cheesy
Anyway, the idea is that our universe is basically an elastic ball which is totally under the influence of the forces within it. And as such, the big bang, caused it to explode and become so vast into what it is now. And that gravity will reverse that. It basically means that the universe will soon start contracting because of gravity pulling things together. Soon, galaxies will start colliding with each other, and black holes the size of entire clusters will pull the entire universe and "crunch" it. And that's it. No more photons, quarks, and in short everything that makes our universe what it is. All that will remain will be an infinitely dense singularity. sad

The big rip

This is even funnier. grin
Anyway, this is the exact opposite of the above. What of gravity is not enough to make the universe contract? shocked I mean, we already know it's a weak force. And Hubble recently discovered that the expansion of the universe was actually accelerating. Now, do you know what happens to an elastic ball if it keeps expanding? Yeah, boom boom. The universe explodes in a very gory event. Every single atom, shredded. Light and electricity, destroyed. Baddass explosion. H-bomb is a learner. grin

The big smash

Well, no one knows how the the universe looks like from the outside, so . . . no pics. grin
Anyway, this is just basically that our universe is not the only one out there, that we're actually living in something far bigger than we could ever hope to fathom and that there are others right there with us, and that one could collide with us. Resulting in a big smash. Transforming our universe into something else entirely. Forget gravity, forget quarks, and stuff. Our current universe will merge with the other drunk one that wouldn't look where it was going. undecided effectively ending the universe as we know it. angry

the HEAT DEATH

This is also called the big freeze . . . but I figured, the big was getting too much. It's also called thermodynamic equilibrium. Anyway, you're probably wondering why I put the black screen up there, well, that's exactly how the universe will look like after the heat death. Here is how it works.
The second law of thermodynamics states that energy always diffuses when it can (basically.) And this basically means that the universe is moving towards a state where energy is so evenly spread that heat no longer exists! Heat is defined as flow of energy due foi difference in temperature, but imagine if the temperature was the same everywhere in the universe! that means no heat! And without heat, fusion cannot occur, hence, no stars, everything will go dark, nothing, will be able to happen, particles will just bounce off each other with no exchange of energy. Force will cease to exist. And the black screen above will exist. Forever, and ever, and ever more. cry
One cool thing about this is that, energy basically spreads when we work! You grab?" So, by being lazy, you're actually prolonging the life of the universe! How considerate! grin

So, from the board of universe lifespan prolongation(ULP) we say,

Thanks for keeping it cool. wink
Thanks for taking it easy. wink
Thanks for being lazy. wink
And thanks for reading. grin

Cheers!

Re: How Will Our Universe End? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Aug 22, 2015
The universe won't end.
Re: How Will Our Universe End? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 22, 2015
As if......
Re: How Will Our Universe End? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 22, 2015
Cc
Johnydon22 RobinHez khalhokage Xploraben . . .
Re: How Will Our Universe End? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 22, 2015
Going from the postulations you gave, it is fallacious to say the universe will end. Going by your point given as the "HEAT DEATH", Where everything as WE know it becomes a dark void. Well, that doesn't mean the universe no longer exist, it only means life as WE know it has ended and a new phenomena is about to start, a new existence alien to any knowledge known to man or any species occupying this old universe?

The universe can't come to an end because of some scientific presuppositions and astrological explanations. Before t he Big Bang or Creationism and evolution, the universe has always been here but life as WE know it is what continues to evolve.

Do you know that Before the Pre-Classical era there was organised societies and explanation to human and terrestrial existence? Well, the universe is a myth to man, it has always been since the time of the early men.

So Mate, the universe won't cease to exist, only life as WE know it will be altered.... ALTERED!!

1 Like

Re: How Will Our Universe End? by johnydon22(m): 7:47pm On Aug 22, 2015
Some hypothesis sounds crazier than crazy grin..

As of now tho galaxies are colliding on each other swirling in a beautiful galactic dance. . Huge galaxies form when smaller galaxies collide into each other, there actually is a hypothetical postulation that places the milky way in a colliding course with Andromeda... anyway that's not my problem, i would be dead anyway grin

so about these universal end postulations, i find the second one more plausible than others. . . with the farther space expands (because it actually isn't just matter expand but space) the gravitational force might not be that strong enough to hold loosely held matters so it just might collapse under it's own self..

Whether the universe is eternal, not eternal or semi eternal is not my business cus we'd probably be dead before then anyway grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Will Our Universe End? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Aug 22, 2015
Freemanan:
Going from the postulations you gave, it is fallacious to say the universe will end. Going by your point given as the "HEAT DEATH", Where everything as WE know it becomes a dark void. Well, that doesn't mean the universe no longer exist, it only means life as WE know it has ended and a new phenomena is about to start, a new existence alien to any knowledge known to man or any species occupying this old universe?

The universe can't come to an end because of some scientific presuppositions and astrological explanations. Before t he Big Bang or Creationism and evolution, the universe has always been here but life as WE know it is what continues to evolve.

Do you know that Before the Pre-Classical era there was organised societies and explanation to human and terrestrial existence? Well, the universe is a myth to man, it has always been since the time of the early men.

So Mate, the universe won't cease to exist, only life as WE know it will be altered.... ALTERED!!
in physics, we define the universe as the space in which the current laws of physics apply. If the space were to change, such that those rules no longer applies, we state that such a universe no longer exists. In short, it is dead.
So, you're right. Just that we're dealing with different definitions of universe.
Re: How Will Our Universe End? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Some hypothesis sounds crazier than crazy grin..

As of now tho galaxies are colliding on each other swirling in a beautiful galactic dance. . Huge galaxies form when galaxies collide into each other, there actually is a hypothetical postulation that places the milky way in a colliding course with Andromeda... anyway that's now my problem, i would be dead anyway grin

so about these universal end postulation, i find the second one more plausible than others. . . with the farther space expands (because it actually isn't just matter expand but space) the gravitational force might not be that strong enough to hold loosely held matters so it just might collapse under it's own self..

Whether the universe is eternal, not eternal or semi eternal is not my business cus we'd probably be dead before then anyway grin grin
yeah, right?
I'm just concerned . . . you know, with this eternal life, and what not? grin
Re: How Will Our Universe End? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Aug 22, 2015
These people sef
Re: How Will Our Universe End? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 22, 2015
Teempakguy:
in physics, we define the universe as the space in which the current laws of physics apply. If the space were to change, such that those rules no longer applies, we state that such a universe no longer exists. In short, it is dead.
So, you're right. Just that we're dealing with different definitions of universe.
Exactly... Meaning is a problem in science....
Re: How Will Our Universe End? by johnydon22(m): 8:38pm On Aug 22, 2015
Teempakguy:
yeah, right?
I'm just concerned . . . you know, with this eternal life, and what not? grin
Eternal life? lol... That shiit will be crazy boring!!!.. grin

Do you know why life is so important to us now? Because we know we are mortals that shiit doesn't last forever that's why its so precious to us the little time we have.

Every moment, every blink, every joy and pain so precious because it will never come again, and every breathe taking the candle closer to the end..

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Will Our Universe End? by llaykorn: 8:47pm On Aug 22, 2015
Eternal, eternal life; I want to live eternal life, so help me God....'
Teempakguy, know that song? cheesy
Re: How Will Our Universe End? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 22, 2015
llaykorn:
Eternal, eternal life; I want to live eternal life, so help me God....'

Teempakguy, know that song? cheesy
no. embarassed

But it seems like a nice song . . .
Re: How Will Our Universe End? by khalhokage(m): 9:01pm On Aug 22, 2015
If The universe decides that it's had enough and wanted to check out then I would think "The big rip" would be it's most likely exit strategy, I basing on the fact of what we've observed and confirmed, that the universe is expanding exponentially and will eventually rip itself apart.
Remember Occam's razor " The simplest answer is often correct ".
Re: How Will Our Universe End? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 22, 2015
khalhokage:
If The universe decides that it's had enough and wanted to check out then I would think "The big rip" would be it's most likely exit strategy, I basing on the fact of what we've observed and confirmed, that the universe is expanding exponentially and will eventually rip itself apart.
Remember Occam's razor " The simplest answer is often correct ".
oh yeah?
What about newtons's flaming laser sword. "If something cannot be settled by experiment, it is not worthy of debate." cool

Anyway, the big rip assumes that the universe' elasticity has a yield point. What if it doesn't? What if it can go on expanding forever?

Also, remember that the universe is still quite young. What if it is still growing? We know dark energy is responsible for the expansion of the universe, and it soon might run out, causing the universe to stop expanding. All of this make the heat death a very worthy contender, you know?
Re: How Will Our Universe End? by UyiIredia(m): 9:57pm On Aug 22, 2015
There's no way one can be sure of anyone outcome. Too many variables to consider IMO.

1 Like

Re: How Will Our Universe End? by XploraBen(m): 12:38am On Aug 23, 2015
You guys have come again! grin

According to science,I may not know how the whole thing will pan out.But going the biblical way(Revelation 21:1),heaven and earth will pass away and it can be inferred that the universe will not remain either!

Someone may ask:why always link our existence here and hereafter to the Bible? But I say the Bible is a book of knowledge and truth;it contains God's plans.Science might bring up the possible ways the universe will end,but sure,it won't alter God's plan!
Re: How Will Our Universe End? by seunot: 9:32pm On Aug 23, 2015
Lmao.

Of all the hypotheses, only one sound very likely; THE HEAT DEATH!

However, with adequate knowledge life will continue after "the universe end". With Time, Life will master Energy, Matter, Gravity, Dark matter and Time itself all via acquistion and application of Knowledge.

Eventually, Life will be able to created and modify 'new universes'.

Ultimately, LIFE TRIUMPHS!!!
Re: How Will Our Universe End? by Dekatron(m): 11:48pm On Aug 23, 2015
Its non of my business.

So far i pay my bills and I solder my panels, what concern me and death of universe? Who knowing date of death don help??

On the contrary, i think going by the fact that the universe is expanding bla bla bla, it should die the HEAT DEATH

& Yea, our galaxy will collide with Andromeda, but it wouldn't hurt.

#Wishmymindwouldbe.electronically.preserved

to witness the beautiful and harmless collision
Re: How Will Our Universe End? by Blakjewelry(m): 12:17pm On Aug 24, 2015
@teem I think the whole hypothesis are nothing but one. After the big bang, the universe begins to expand. The energy from the big bang is what is still sustaining the expansion of universe today. It is theorized that it is either it will continue and eventually everything will fly away and cold out or at a point it will exhaust the energy and begin to slowdown and eventually collapse under gravity.
Note. The the reason gravity is weak is because it is thought that some of it force is leaking to other universe. Once that leak can be established, then we can stand tall and say other universe exist
Re: How Will Our Universe End? by bqlekan(m): 10:50pm On Aug 24, 2015
You guys wanna make me go back to school and study physics cheesy but no thanks, I will pass.. I think the chance of Human experiments ending the universe is higher
Re: How Will Our Universe End? by RobinHez(m): 7:48am On Aug 26, 2015
Lemme read 1st...

(1) (Reply)

Hovercraft- What Do You Know About Hovercraft? / . / 5 Benefits Of Using Natural Gas Generators

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.