Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,034 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? (3980 Views)

This SUV Is Selling @ 950k / Neatly Used 2010 GMC TERRAIN ("kaduna)SOLD!!!! / Outstanding Tokunbo 2010 Jeep WRANGLER "Off-Road Evolution". Asking Price: ₦6.5m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by omotoda(m): 9:39am On Aug 23, 2015
I am moving to my house soon somewhere inside ayobo and the terrain is rough . I need advise on the SUV that can cope with such rough terrain. Kindly advise on year, brand and name of such vehicle. I am looking at 2007 Nissan Xterra but not sure if it is rugged enough. I use a mazda tribute 2003 model right now and it survives the road very well but it is not 4WD
Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 23, 2015
If you can afford the GX470,She's as tough as crazy. The xterra is also a good choice, although there's the lexus RX,not fully an off-roader,but considering the ground clearance I think that too is ok.
Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by USAutoBuy(m): 3:17pm On Aug 23, 2015
My advise is that you should consider Toyota 4 Runner

2003 - 2007 models should be fine

Buy a good one and no worries

For reasons that time does not permit me, i would stay away from 07 Xterra for now

Good luck

1 Like

Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by DECOtech(m): 3:26pm On Aug 23, 2015
omotoda:
I am moving to my house soon somewhere inside ayobo and the terrain is rough . I need advise on the SUV that can cope with such rough terrain. Kindly advise on year, brand and name of such vehicle. I am looking at 2007 Nissan Xterra but not sure if it is rugged enough. I use a mazda tribute 2003 model right now and it survives the road very well but it is not 4WD

The 05 - 07 extera is a good choice but make sure to install an external tranny oil cooler, else you would have tranny isssues. Asides that, the Nissan exterra is a ride I love.

My second choice is the 03 - 06 toyota 4runner.
Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by gustav25: 3:29pm On Aug 23, 2015
Buy a land rover 2009
Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by USAutoBuy(m): 3:31pm On Aug 23, 2015
DECOtech:

The 05 - 07 extera is a good choice but make sure to install an external tranny oil cooler, else you would have tranny isssues. Asides that, the Nissan exterra is a ride I love.
My second choice is the 03 - 06 toyota 4runner.

Exactly. why go thru all that trouble especially taking chances with our mechanics in Nigeria. Skip straight to 4Runner. Also Toyota have a better resale value
Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by DECOtech(m): 4:01pm On Aug 23, 2015
USAutoBuy:

Exactly. why go thru all that trouble especially taking chances with our mechanics in Nigeria. Skip straight to 4Runner. Also Toyota have a better resale value

Hmm

Have you personally driven both cars? I know why the Nissan is still my first choice.

Plus we now have good mechs in Nigeria.
Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by USAutoBuy(m): 4:58pm On Aug 23, 2015
DECOtech:

Hmm
Have you personally driven both cars? I know why the Nissan is still my first choice.
Plus we now have good mechs in Nigeria.

As a matter of fact, YES. and the Nissan almost 5 months actually. I have no problem with Nissan and i am certain there are great technicians in Nigeria. However, 2 factors u need to put in consideration:

Nigeria is a TOYOTA Country. (For every 1 person that prices a Nissan, 10 would have priced a Toyota of similar vehicle)

Rectifying the Xterra is another step and another chance for something to go wrong. Why go down that road if you don't have to?

And yes, the RESALE value.
Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by bruv(m): 6:26pm On Aug 23, 2015
The ultimate off roader/4x4 is the Land Rover. It may not have all the luxury mod-cons in a Benz or Lexus but it would never get stuck in mud, puddle or crater. If cost is no bother, go for a G-wagon or Range Rover Autobiography (pls see link below). However, the wise choice, as said, would be Toyota (2004 above) 4Runner, Prado, Land Cruiser or Lexus equivalent (reason:- auxiliary gear, tech‎ know-how, available parts, resale value, comfort, reliability, durability, etc).

In the long term, mobilize your street or community to fix the roads which would invariably increase the property values & reduce your regular maintenance cost on tyres, suspension, shocks, etc. You guys can even get a road engineer from LASG to assist! Cheers!

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/land-rover/range-rover

https://www.nairaland.com/1358052/jeep-vs-suv-whats-difference
Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by USAutoBuy(m): 6:32pm On Aug 23, 2015
bruv:
The ultimate off roader/4x4 is the Land Rover. It may not have all the luxury mod-cons in a Benz or Lexus but it would never get stuck in mud, puddle or crater. If cost is no bother, go for a G-wagon or Range Rover Autobiography (pls see link below). However, the wise choice, as said, would be Toyota (2004 above) 4Runner, Prado, Land Cruiser or Lexus equivalent (reason:- auxiliary gear, tech‎ know-how, available parts, resale value, comfort, reliability, durability, etc).
In the long term, mobilize your street or community to fix the roads which would invariably increase the property values & reduce your regular maintenance cost on tyres, suspension, shocks, etc. You guys can even get a road engineer from LASG to assist! Cheers!
http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/land-rover/range-rover
https://www.nairaland.com/1358052/jeep-vs-suv-whats-difference

Someone is driving a Mazda Tribute and looking at 07 Xterra but you are advocating G-Wagon or RR autobiography shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by bruv(m): 6:45pm On Aug 23, 2015
LOL! He did ask "which SUV is best for off-road/rough terrain"? So, i responded as asked that in my opinion, the best SUV for off-road/rough terrain is a G-wagon or Range Rover Autobiography. BtW, even if he currently drives a Mazda Tribute, he's just built his own house which ain't no child's play and he may want to launch the crib with a G-wagon or Range. The car a man drives doesn't necessarily mean he ain't got money, he may just not be interested in flashy cars. Anyway, someone else may want to know a money no object best SUV for all terrain. All said in good spirit! Toyota was my choice eventually after the analysis...

1 Like

Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by DECOtech(m): 6:53pm On Aug 23, 2015
USAutoBuy:

Rectifying the Xterra is another step and another chance for something to go wrong. Why go down that road if you don't have to?

That's the only point that might get me to look away from the extera but yet, it isn't strong enough. As for Nigeria being a toyota country, that's as a result of misinformation.

Yes, toyota might have a higher resale value. That's because Nigerians THINK its the best automobile in the world.(thanks to misinformation)

My reasons for wanting to own a certain vehicle cld be different from that of another individual. What's resale value when I'm buying a vehicle I intend to use (not sell) ...?
Resale value shld not make me choose a brand that wldn't satisfy me over one that wld.
Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by kuntash: 7:15pm On Aug 23, 2015
No disrespect bro, I probably would consider your options...

But I was thinking, if this road to your new house is very good or probably tarred , would you be considering buying a car that would be over 2m ?

Now, I am sure many people in same area would be thinking alike, planning to buy suv that would cause more harm than good just for their benefits ..

Govt should fix roads, I agree, but if these whole suv episode, ideas from neighbours alike is channelled into repairing the roads? Bringing in the Govt to assist via-a-vis your own communal asist...?

It's a mentality that should be discouraged. Because to me, that's where the true CHANGE starts from ..

Like I said, I would probably do same .... in either case buying a car option for the sake of our bad roads without little or no attention to repairing the bad roads isn't cheap ....

For the SUV, or off road, I would opt for a Toyota Tacoma, ....4Runner, both 2007 model

Good luck, ..
Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by USAutoBuy(m): 7:17pm On Aug 23, 2015
DECOtech:

That's the only point that might get me to look away from the extera but yet, it isn't strong enough. As for Nigeria being a toyota country, that's as a result of misinformation.
Yes, toyota might have a higher resale value. That's because Nigerians THINK its the best automobile in the world.(thanks to misinformation)
My reasons for wanting to own a certain vehicle cld be different from that of another individual. What's resale value when I'm buying a vehicle I intend to use (not sell) ...?
Resale value shld not make me choose a brand that wldn't satisfy me over one that wld.

Point well taken. But remember that no matter how much you love a car, you will want to get something else down the road. Even if you bought with the intention of keeping forever. I hope the poster chooses wisely. All bases covered
Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by DECOtech(m): 7:48pm On Aug 23, 2015
USAutoBuy:

Point well taken. But remember that no matter how much you love a car, you will want to get something else down the road. Even if you bought with the intention of keeping forever. I hope the poster chooses wisely. All bases covered

Yeah, you are right, though it all still depends on one thing or the other.

I believe this was a healthy argument. One good enough I hope to help the OP decide.
Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by USAutoBuy(m): 8:32pm On Aug 23, 2015
DECOtech:

Yeah, you are right, though it all still depends on one thing or the other.
I believe this was a healthy argument. One good enough I hope to help the OP decide.

Very healthy point/counterpoint. The transmission issue wt 2005/up Nissan are what kinda make me balk a little. If he can drive a 1999-2004 Pathfinder (Legendary 3.5L engine) or Frontier of the same year. I would have asked him to go ahead with no problem.

Kazeem the gearman grin in Lagos scares me. Fond of the ABRO ATF fluid cheesy
Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by nativedoctor(m): 8:36pm On Aug 23, 2015
like you have been advised. get a 4wd 4runner 03-06 toks for 2.2m or localy used for 1.5m. get a good one though. for a little higher you can get a landcruiser i6
(4500cc) with solid front and rear axles. it is rock solid for terrible roads as you wont have ball joint issues.also the straight 6 cylinder engine lives forever.
both 4runner and landcruiser are like cockroaches. go anywhere and live very long.trust me i have owned both and i go off roading pretty regularly.
Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by DECOtech(m): 9:18pm On Aug 23, 2015
USAutoBuy:

Kazeem the gearman grin in Lagos scares me. Fond of the ABRO ATF fluid cheesy

Lol!
Re: Which SUV Is Best For Off Road/rough Terrain? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Aug 23, 2015
make sure u r buying a 4 by 4 offroader..... some 4runner r jst 2 wheeelers

(1) (Reply)

*ARRIVED*2005 Honda Accord Ex Leather ( Pre Ordered By Orisdude Of Nairaland ) / 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SUV for Sale.Value for Money ! / Nissan Primera. 2000 Model, Manual, Neatly Used & Stil Very Strong @ Abuja #250k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.