Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,901 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

Pirates Have Made Movie Makers Paupers– Tunde Kelani - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Pirates Have Made Movie Makers Paupers– Tunde Kelani (815 Views)

Three Nollywood Movie Pirates Arrested At Alaba Market [PICS] / Throwback Video From The "Charly Boy Show" Featuring Tunde And Wummi Obe / When Tunde Kelani Made Nigeria Proud At TIFF 10 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pirates Have Made Movie Makers Paupers– Tunde Kelani by Bayansela: 5:24pm On Aug 24, 2015
Pirates Have Made Movie Makers Paupers– Tunde Kelani

He is one of the best cinematographers the nation can offer. Tunde Kelani has seen it all- the good, bad and ugly- in the burgeoning film industry of ours. From producing his first movie to his latest work, Dazzling Mirage, which is yet to be released Kelani’s experience which spanned four decades is a study on its own. The Ogun State-born movie director and culture ambassador looked unruffled when SAMUEL ABULUDE stepped into his office in Oshodi, Lagos a fortnight ago. The unassuming gentleman was busy discussing with junior colleagues on a project. He reminisces on his passion and also looked into the future of the film industry.

What have you been up to?
As I said earlier last month, I released Maami on DVD after four years. I was wary about releasing it on DVD because Arugba was massively pirated. Yeah, it was and when I released Maami- within 48 hours it was pirated- all the money I invested in the movie was gone. So I made up mind and you must’ve seen the press release that I won’t be releasing my movies in Nigeria again. It’s saddening that our movies get pirated and there’s nothing concrete that has been done to curb it. That means there is no future for movie producers in this part of the world. We have been trying to eke a living despite the risky nature of our business.

The agency that fights piracy, NCC, said you did not inform them officially.
Must I inform them and tell them how to do their job. They told you they are aware of the piracy of Maami, did they come to me? You went to their office at Ebute Metta and saw how things are- a major agency with the arduous task of fighting pirates. We all know how NCC operates so I don’t need to contact them that my movie has been pirated. I have engaged them before and they once asked me to bring some ridiculous amount for them to fight pirates for me when it is their constitutional right to fight piracy. What I have observed over the years is that it is beyond the NCC to really fight pirates who are always a step ahead of the agency. On my part, I have tried to outwit pirates at their game but what they do is that at the point of your DVD release, they must’ve been watching you and doing their own copies in preparation for the date of your release. So they flood the market with pirated copies of your work just as you release yours.

Is it that bad sir?
My brother, it is sad for me because I have managed not to give up on movie making all these years but pirates have done worse things to us here. How will I get my money back? I am already in debt to those that invested in the movie.

How much was invested into Maami?
N30 million was invested in the project. I don’t know how I will pay up such debt.

What of Arugba the previous movie?
Arugba costs N22 million and that movie was pirated massively. We still have thousands of the movie stacks in my office. This is not a good way to do business. Now we have stopped preparations for the premiere of my new work, Dazzling Mirage, because of this sad development. I had hoped my works would be my retirement benefit and I worked hard investing in this so that when I retire, I’ll fall back on what it’ll yield. But where is the money? I have not built my house yet. This industry is in trouble if we cannot get things right like fighting piracy and having the conducive environment for business to operate.

But you made money from the cinema on Maami?
Who told you we made enough money from screening Maami abroad or here in Nigeria? You can’t make such money since the white man won’t allow you to thrive in their countries when they have their own movies to deal in. Your market is your country and if you can’t make it from cinemas in your own domain, you cannot anywhere because Africa ought to be your market; Nigeria is your market. And by the way, how many cinemas do we have here to screen our movies? We don’t have more than 50 cinemas in Nigeria and we need about 3000 cinemas. America is happy that you are promoting their works here and also making money. They won’t help you to promote yours. In US they have more than 50,000 cinema theatres and screens.
What we are proposing is that we should build cinemas for the masses not for the elite. Imagine in Lagos, we have one in Oshodi, Agege, Ogba, Surulere, Ikeja, Ajah, Badagry, Ikorodu, Epe and in all the suburbs. I tell you what we need is the infrastructure that’ll allow development of the economy and movie industry will blossom with the right structure.

So how did your love for the arts emerge?
My love for the arts started when I was young of course. I was enthralled with arts and started playing with photography. Later I went to study cinematography in London. Not many know that I was a BBC camera man decades ago. I have worked in TV, the WNTV and after the TV station in Lagos. I started Cinekraft with Wale Fanu. It’s still there in Surulere. I have been in TV productions before going into movie productions. In all I have spent about 40 years in the industry. And that is a lot of experience.

What is the way forward amidst all the challenges experienced by movie makers?
This country will have to sort itself out and let us have electricity and the common things of life, and then business will thrive including the movie industry.

Are your children taking after you in the arts and entertainment business?
My children are not interested in film making maybe because they have seen all what I went through. I don’t have my own house even after having made movies for years. Whatever money I make, I invest it back into the next production. My plan was to invest all I’ve got into my works and the proceeds will be for my retirement. But at 66, I don’t have the money as a film maker. But I’m hopeful that things will get better and my country will be better for my children to thrive and live in. That is the prayer of all parents.

Source:
leadership.ng/entertainment/372846/pirates-made-movie-makers-paupers-tunde-kelani
Re: Pirates Have Made Movie Makers Paupers– Tunde Kelani by boboLIL(m): 5:25pm On Aug 24, 2015
Hahah,,, guys must chop nw...oga sorry oh
Re: Pirates Have Made Movie Makers Paupers– Tunde Kelani by Destined2win: 5:35pm On Aug 24, 2015
I will reap the fruits of my Labour...Pirates or no pirates
Re: Pirates Have Made Movie Makers Paupers– Tunde Kelani by nwarosa: 5:38pm On Aug 24, 2015
Bubble brain
boboLIL:
Hahah,,, guys must chop nw...oga sorry oh
Re: Pirates Have Made Movie Makers Paupers– Tunde Kelani by boboLIL(m): 5:43pm On Aug 24, 2015
nwarosa:
Bubble brain
go and die

(1) (Reply)

[ Full HD ] Bigg Boss Double Trouble 25 October 2015 Full HD Show Online / Kumkum Bhagya 20 November 2015 Promo / Pls Where Can I Download Movies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.