Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? (1601 Views)

Kemi Olunloyo Begs For Forgiveness As She Testifies In Church (Video) / Do Christians Need To Confess Their Sins? See Why / Why Many Christians Keep Confessing And Committing Same Sins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by jiggaz(m): 7:24pm On Aug 24, 2015
Question: "Do Christians have to keep asking for
forgiveness for their sins?"

Answer: A frequent question is “what happens if I
sin, and then I die before I have an opportunity to
confess that sin to God?” Another common question
is “what happens if I commit a sin, but then forget
about it and never remember to confess it to God?”
Both of these questions rest on a faulty
assumption. Salvation is not a matter of believers
trying to confess and repent from every sin they
commit before they die. Salvation is not based on
whether a Christian has confessed and repented of
every sin. Yes, we should confess our sins to God
as soon as we are aware that we have sinned.
However, we do not always need to be asking God
for forgiveness. When we place our faith in Jesus
Christ for salvation, all of our sins are forgiven.
That includes past, present, and future, big or
small. Believers do not have to keep asking for
forgiveness or repenting in order to have their sins
forgiven. Jesus died to pay the penalty for all of our
sins, and when they are forgiven, they are all
forgiven ( Colossians 1:14 ; Acts 10:43 ).

What we are to do is confess our sins: “If we
confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will
forgive us our sins and purify us from all
unrighteousness” ( 1 John 1:9 ). What this verse tells
us to do is “confess” our sins to God. The word
“confess” means “to agree with.” When we confess
our sins to God, we are agreeing with God that we
were wrong, that we have sinned. God forgives us,
through confession, on an ongoing basis because
of the fact that He is “faithful and just.” How is God
“faithful and just”? He is faithful by forgiving sins,
which He has promised to do for all those who
receive Christ as Savior. He is just by applying
Christ’s payment for our sins, recognizing that the
sins have indeed been atoned for.

At the same time, 1 John 1:9 does indicate that
somehow forgiveness is dependent on our
confessing our sins to God. How does this work if
all of our sins are forgiven the moment we receive
Christ as Savior? It seems that what the apostle
John is describing here is “relational” forgiveness.
All of our sins are forgiven “positionally” the
moment we receive Christ as Savior. This positional
forgiveness guarantees our salvation and promise
of an eternal home in heaven. When we stand
before God after death, God will not deny us
entrance into heaven because of our sins. That is
positional forgiveness. The concept of relational
forgiveness is based on the fact that when we sin,
we offend God and grieve His Spirit (Ephesians
4:30 ). While God has ultimately forgiven us of the
sins we commit, they still result in a blocking or
hindrance in our relationship with God. A young boy
who sins against his father is not cast out of the
family. A godly father will forgive his children
unconditionally. At the same time, a good
relationship between father and son cannot be
achieved until the relationship is restored. This can
only occur when a child confesses his mistakes to
his father and apologizes. That is why we confess
our sins to God—not to maintain our salvation, but
to bring ourselves back into close fellowship with
the God who loves us and has already forgiven us.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-sin.html

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by odinese(m): 7:27pm On Aug 24, 2015
.yaaaassss!!
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by menesheh(m): 7:28pm On Aug 24, 2015
they should keep on asking evidences of their faith.

2 Likes

Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Aug 24, 2015
Lalasticlala please move this to the FP..... Let the doctrinated Christains learn their sins are forgiven already.

Thanks

EOS

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Aug 24, 2015
sin is an offense against a god I do not believe in / who does not exist, if what I do is harmful to others I apologize to them and ask for their forgiveness. If what I do doesn't harm others then to hell with your imaginary invisible middle-east deity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by jiggaz(m): 6:26am On Aug 25, 2015
starlingslimnet:
Lalasticlala please move this to the FP..... Let the doctrinated Christains learn their sins are forgiven already.
Thanks
EOS
Abi oo. grin
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by jiggaz(m): 6:26am On Aug 25, 2015
MrPresident:
sin is an offense against a god I do not believe in / who does not exist, if what I do is harmful to others I apologize to them and ask for their forgiveness. If what I do doesn't harm others then to hell with your imaginary invisible middle-east deity.
Oga you dey vex oo lol

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by jiggaz(m): 6:29am On Aug 25, 2015
menesheh:
they should keep on asking evidences of their faith.
My brother its hard for me to believe that you are an Atheist.... What really happened Plz receive JESUS in your life.
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by jiggaz(m): 1:48pm On Sep 13, 2015
jiggaz:
Oga you dey vex oo lol
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by An2elect2(f): 2:01pm On Sep 13, 2015
Forgiven forever cool...You cant find an elect in hell because there is no reason whatsoever why he/she should be there! Boom!!!!! cheesy
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by jiggaz(m): 2:02pm On Sep 13, 2015
An2elect2:
Forgiven forever cool...You cant find an elect in hell because there is no reason whatsoever why he/she should be there! Boom!!!!! cheesy
Yes oo...
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by Elevation(m): 4:49pm On Sep 13, 2015
An2elect2:
read below
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by Elevation(m): 4:49pm On Sep 13, 2015
An2elect2:
you believe in eternal security as a doctrine? Once saved forever saved?
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by An2elect2(f): 8:16am On Sep 14, 2015
Elevation:
you believe in eternal security as a doctrine? Once saved forever saved?

yes sir
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by italo: 9:37am On Sep 14, 2015
An2elect2:

"...and forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us"

You don't say that prayer commanded by Jesus?
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by Elevation(m): 4:27pm On Sep 14, 2015
An2elect2:

yes sir
Oh No.... that doctrine is evil , a person can only be saved and forever saved if he or she remains constantly, and abide if such an individual goes back to sin, God says "my soul shall have no pleasure in him'' Hebrews 10vs 38.if anyone goes back into sin that if individual dies at that state hellfire straight.
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by jiggaz(m): 4:38pm On Sep 14, 2015
Elevation:
Oh No.... that doctrine is evil , a person can only be saved and forever saved if he or she remains constantly, and abide if such an individual goes back to sin, God says "my soul shall have no pleasure in him'' Hebrews 10vs 38.if anyone goes back into sin that if individual dies at that state hellfire straight.
grin this is according to what your Pastor told u abi? If it is so, you too will go to hell fire straight because you cannot escape sin in this your fallen body, datz why Jesus came to die for our sins. It is JESUS or You, not Jesus plus you. You cannot add to the finished work of CHRIST on the Cross, else you are telling God that Jesus is not enough that you have to add your own to merit your Salvation. We dont even deserve God's Salvation cos all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God through Adam's sin, but through CHRIST death and RESURRECTION on the Cross, we are redeemed by placing our FAITH on CHRIST and His finished Work.

Do not argue with me bro, you need to study more about what God's Grace means.... Ask the Holy Spirit to help u... Peace.

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by Elevation(m): 4:43pm On Sep 14, 2015
jiggaz:
grin this is according to what your Pastor told u abi? If it is so, you too will go to hell fire straight because you cannot escape sin in this your fallen body, datz why Jesus came to die for our sins. It is JESUS or You, not Jesus plus you. You cannot add to the finished work of CHRIST on the Cross, else you are telling God that Jesus is not enough that you have to add your own to merit your Salvation. We dont even deserve God's Salvation cos all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God through Adam's sin, but through CHRIST death and RESURRECTION on the Cross, we are redeemed by placing our FAITH on CHRIST and His finished Work.

Do not argue with me bro, you need to study more about what God's Grace means.... Ask the Holy Spirit to help u... Peace.
You mentioned me first,i want to ask a question? When a righteous man falls into temptation without asking for mercy and repentance will he be raptured or go to hell?
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by Elevation(m): 4:46pm On Sep 14, 2015
Ephesians 2vs8 For by grace are ye saved through faith that not of yourself it is a gift from God, lest anyone should boast righteousness is by grace through Jesus but you should not say because of grace you will continue to sin God forbid Romans 6vs1
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by jiggaz(m): 4:51pm On Sep 14, 2015
Elevation:
You mentioned me first,i want to ask a question? When a righteous man falls into temptation without asking for mercy and repentance will he be raptured or go to hell?
Yes my brother, he will be raptured. Do you know why? When he gave his life to CHRIST and believe in CHRIST Jesus and his finished work on the Cross, his sins ( past, present and future ) has been forgiven. God doesn't hold it against him anymore cos He released His judgment of us on CHRIST on the Cross and CHRIST said it is Finished!!! That does not mean dat a Believer should live anyhow cos all his sins have been forgiven. Instead you have to put on the righteousness of God in CHRIST through his obedience and finished work on the Cross ( not your own righteousness ) . And this is achieved by having total faith in CHRIST.
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by MistarT(m): 5:02pm On Sep 14, 2015
Please remove that "future" because if you have that notion you'd practically lead a lose lifestyle, God can make you perfect (Matthew 5vs48). You can live above sin you can be holy because God has commanded us to be holy (1 Peter 1:16,Leviticus 11:44, Leviticus 20:7), unto him who is able to keep us from falling....JUDE 1vs24 Believe totally in Jesus He only can give you power and authority to live above sin, because He is seated in heavenly glory above principalities and powers dont think you can't live righteous because you can you are crucified with christ the life you live now(Galatians 2vs20) is not yours but His so how do you think He would live you to be falling and rising. No!!
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by jiggaz(m): 5:12pm On Sep 14, 2015
MistarT:
Please remove that "future" because if you have that notion you'd practically lead a lose lifestyle, God can make you perfect (Matthew 5vs48). You can live above sin you can be holy because God has commanded us to be holy (1 Peter 1:16,Leviticus 11:44, Leviticus 20:7), unto him who is able to keep us from falling....JUDE 1vs24 Believe totally in Jesus He only can give you power and authority to live above sin, because He is seated in heavenly glory above principalities and powers dont think you can't live righteous because you can you are crucified with christ the life you live now(Galatians 2vs20) is not yours but His so how do you think He would live you to be falling and rising. No!!
My bro FUTURE sins is included if not Jesus wont say it is finished on the Cross.

Yes we can live above sin by embracing the RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD IN CHRIST ( not our own righteousness ). Yes we are seated in the heavenly places with CHRIST above principalities.... You are correct.... It is CHRIST dat lives in us.

But bro, knowing dat our past, present and future sins are forgiven in CHRIST wont give Believers a licentious lifestyle, instead it will bring the person to righteous living in CHRIST cos you are sooo grateful for what CHRIST did for you on the Cross without you meriting it. It gives you Rest & Purifies you and you wont lose sight of our blessed hope in CHRIST , just like so many Christians today have lost theirs.
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by MistarT(m): 5:14pm On Sep 14, 2015
Colossians 1vs28....we teach and admonish ourselves in wisdom so that we'll be presented perfect before Christ, God can make you perfect that your life would be devoid of anything sinful, remember that "for all have sinned" the verb (sin) is in the past form believe in Jesus He can do it, i want to state somethings here that, if there is any affection of the world kill it(1 John 2vs15-17). Because friendship with the world is enmity with God-James 4vs4.....the evil one uses the flesh and the world to torment but kill the flesh, hate the pollutions of the world and elevate your spirit and inner-man...you can do it by Faith.
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by MistarT(m): 5:23pm On Sep 14, 2015
jiggaz:
My bro FUTURE sins is included if not Jesus wont say it is finished on the Cross.

Yes we can live above sin by embracing the RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD IN CHRIST ( not our own righteousness ). Yes we are seated in the heavenly places with CHRIST above principalities.... You are correct.... It is CHRIST dat lives in us.

But bro, knowing dat our past, present and future sins are forgiven in CHRIST wont give Believers a licentious lifestyle, instead it will bring the person to righteous living in CHRIST cos you are sooo grateful for what CHRIST did for you on the Cross without you meriting it. It gives you Rest & Purifies you and you wont lose sight of our blessed hope in CHRIST , just like so many Christians today have lost theirs.
it is finished, He used it to illustrate the finished work of salvation done by Him yes but the issue is nothing like forgiveness of future sins please okay you know what God would reveal things to you starting from now. Your conviction will be strong don't see future sins forgiven, just continue in Christ He is the author and finisher of our Faith (Hebrews 12vs1-2) remember verse one says "let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth easily beset us and let us run with patience the race set before us" this warning is important dont joke or go into sin for the reason of eternal security. Please your soul is righteous don't go near Sin do not joke with it.
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by jiggaz(m): 5:33pm On Sep 14, 2015
MistarT:
it is finished, He used it to illustrate the finished work of salvation done by Him yes but the issue is nothing like forgiveness of future sins please okay you know what God would reveal things to you starting from now. Your conviction will be strong don't see future sins forgiven, just continue in Christ He is the author and finisher of our Faith (Hebrews 12vs1-2) remember verse one says "let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth easily beset us and let us run with patience the race set before us" this warning is important dont joke or go into sin for the reason of eternal security. Please your soul is righteous don't go near Sin do not joke with it.
My brother, if you believe your future sin is not forgiven, then you are on a faulty foundation. Do you mean to tell me dat CHRIST death on the Cross is limited to certain Sins? Nawa oo, plz stop mixing God's Grace with the Law.... It is either you are on the side of Grace ( which is the person of CHRIST and His finished work on the Cross ) or you are under Law. plz don't mix the two like our Nigerian pastors are doing. Grace is Grace, Law is Law, no mixture.

Yes, we Believers are righteous but our righteousness is not our own self righteousness or good works but our righteousness is the righteousness of God in CHRIST ( only in CHRIST oo!!! )

Self righteousness and Good works are not God's standard for righteousness. you must differentiate between the two. Self righteousness and Good works might give u credit with people, in your relationship with them but it doesn't count before God cos it is like filthy rag. But embracing God's Righteousness in CHRIST is everything!!!!! And you can only achieve it by total faith and trust in CHRIST.

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 14, 2015
Everybody should
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by charsola: 6:06pm On Sep 14, 2015
This topic is misleading and unchristian,enough of heresies here ..
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by MistarT(m): 9:39pm On Sep 14, 2015
jiggaz:
My brother, if you believe your future sin is not forgiven, then you are on a faulty foundation. Do you mean to tell me dat CHRIST death on the Cross is limited to certain Sins? Nawa oo, plz stop mixing God's Grace with the Law.... It is either you are on the side of Grace ( which is the person of CHRIST and His finished work on the Cross ) or you are under Law. plz don't mix the two like our Nigerian pastors are doing. Grace is Grace, Law is Law, no mixture.

Yes, we Believers are righteous but our righteousness is not our own self righteousness or good works but our righteousness is the righteousness of God in CHRIST ( only in CHRIST oo!!! )

Self righteousness and Good works are not God's standard for righteousness. you must differentiate between the two. Self righteousness and Good works might give u credit with people, in your relationship with them but it doesn't count before God cos it is like filthy rag. But embracing God's Righteousness in CHRIST is everything!!!!! And you can only achieve it by total faith and trust in CHRIST.
if an individual sins he or she shouldnt just sit there and resolve in the heart that Christ has forgiven without the person genuinely repenting and turning away from such an act, we are told that we are saved for good works and not by good works that i know, Matthew 5vs16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in" heaven. Ephesians 2:10 " For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them" if you have Jesus doing good will be by default. TAKE NOTE REPENTANCE IS KEY TO RESTORATION AND RENEWAL WHEN AN INDIVIDUAL FALLS INTO TEMPTATION HE SHOULD REPENT AND RETURN TO RECONCILE HIMSELF BACK TO THE FATHER THAT IS WHY WE NEED TO WATCH AND PRAY.GOD BLESS YOU.
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by MistarT(m): 9:53pm On Sep 14, 2015
Romans 6:1-2 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid.How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein..all i am saying is dont remain at a state of falling anytime u fall call on God He is ever ready dont stay there and say Christ has forgiven me past present and future sin. That is why you have to die daily.
Re: Should Christians Keep Asking For Forgiveness For Their Sins? by jiggaz(m): 10:08pm On Sep 14, 2015
MistarT:
Romans 6:1-2 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid.How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein..all i am saying is dont remain at a state of falling anytime u fall call on God He is ever ready dont stay there and say Christ has forgiven me past present and future sin. That is why you have to die daily.
God nite bro...

(1) (Reply)

Exposed: Things You Didn't Hear About Rev. King / Did Jesus Really Command The Apostles To Preach To The Gentiles? / Residents Of Tonga Amazed At Miraculous Apparition Of The Mary In The Cloud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.